Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #3286
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Thanks Gummee - for some reason I never checked Sports for a bicycle thread - goes to show that you can find all information you need on ADVrider; no need to go to college!!
Pheh - this is the "mouth-breathers-and-other-morans-who-hate-cyclists" thread.

The bicycle thread is here.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #3287
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Pheh - this is the "mouth-breathers-and-other-morans-with self image issues" thread.

Fixt!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #3288
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,917
Bicycle threads

Quote:
Pheh - this is the "mouth-breathers-and-other-morans-who-hate-cyclists" thread.

and one can't forget the almost mirror like thread of this one down in Jo Momma.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #3289
Center-stand
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

I could hear him not slowing down and I could hear cars coming over the crest of the hill we were all approaching.

So I started moving towards the center of the lane

So he is close enough that you hear him. He's not slowing down. And then you move into the center of the lane. ...........................

And you think that's a smart move???
Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #3290
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Center-stand View Post

Yes.

Next question...

Old 09-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #3291
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Center-stand View Post
So he is close enough that you hear him. He's not slowing down. And then you move into the center of the lane. ...........................

You can hear car tires for a ways back if you're listening. (and I do every time I get to the crest of a hill or a blind turn)

...and you'd rather I stayed as far to the right as possible and let the guy go around me into traffic? THAT'S a better alternative than taking the lane?

M
Old 09-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #3292
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,142
Quote:
You can hear car tires for a ways back if you're listening. (and I do every time I get to the crest of a hill or a blind turn)

...and you'd rather I stayed as far to the right as possible and let the guy go around me into traffic? THAT'S a better alternative than taking the lane?

M

Here's the part you're missing. If you take the lane, people are STILL going to go around you, sometimes completely into the oncoming lane. people are that stupid. Some roads are not for riding.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #3293
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Here's the part you're missing. If you take the lane, people are STILL going to go around you, sometimes completely into the oncoming lane. people are that stupid. Some roads are not for riding.
Actually, you might be surprised as how effective this technique is. The most surprising part? 99+ % of the people don't mind at all - they slow down, see YOU first and then realize, if they haven't already, there's something coming the other way.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #3294
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Actually, you might be surprised as how effective this technique is. The most surprising part? 99+ % of the people don't mind at all - they slow down, see YOU first and then realize, if they haven't already, there's something coming the other way.
I'll sat this once again IT'S NOT YOUR JOB (or right) TO PLAY TRAFFIC CONTROL.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #3295
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post

Its even less of your job(or right) to pass any road users in an unsafe manor. Just because you get pissed at having to slow for other road users, either leave earlier or take the bus or stay the hell home.

Its also not your job to tell the world how to act. Based on some of your posts I've seen you are the last person to tell someone else how to act.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #3296
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
And you never use your position in the lane to protect yourself?

It's not traffic control. It's visibility. If the driver wants to make an unsafe pass, I can't do anything to stop him. I'm not blocking the highway...the driver has an least 3/4 of it to utilize. Did you miss my comment about the overwhelming majority who gets it and never so much as blows their horn? It's not like I'm looking for trouble...just doesnt happen in real life the way it does in your mind.

You can "sat" it all you want but an even better idea will be for you to ride a bit with someone who knows what they're doing. You might even learn something. The welcome mat is out.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #3297
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Its even less of your job(or right) to pass any road users in an unsafe manor. Just because you get pissed at having to slow for other road users, either leave earlier or take the bus or stay the hell home.

Its also not your job to tell the world how to act. Based on some of your posts I've seen you are the last person to tell someone else how to act.
Don't put words in my mouth. I wasn't TELLING anyone how to act , just stating fact.FUCK YOU and the horse you rode in on , asshole.

joexr screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 12:49 PM
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #3298
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Don't put words in my mouth. I wasn't TELLING anyone how to act , just stating fact.FUCK YOU and the horse you rode in on , asshole.
No, you were yelling it. Maybe you should go for a nice long bicycle ride to unwind.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #3299
Center-stand
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:

M
I really couldn't care less what you do or how you ride, but personally, I would be hesitant to pull into the path of a truck that was coming up behind me fast and not slowing.

I don't know about others but, If I see a cyclist, I reduce speed upon sight. If I'm not slowing, I didn't see you. Don't wait too late to pull in front of me where I can't slow to the speed you are riding. If you can hear tire noise over wind noise in your ears I am assuming you are going pretty slow. The closing rate of a vehicle going 60 mph over one going 10 or 12 mph is quick.

For me, self preservation would suggest I make myself as visible as possible with position and clothing while at the same time giving way to bigger, heavier, fast moving vehicles.

As far as a better alternative, would you rather be run over, or watch a head on collision between other vehicles? I see risk either way. Suit yourself.
Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #3300
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,953
While some have expressed their attitudes to bicyle riders ..

they should consider other peoples attitudes to motorcycle riders ... and possibly have more tollerence to other road users.

====================== From
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-2...ackers/4973382

"Police hunt gang behind highway acid attack on motorbike rider

Police are appealing for help to find four people involved in an acid attack on a motorbike rider in Victoria.
The 62-year-old man was riding along the South Gippsland Highway to Melbourne yesterday when he was flagged down, pushed down an embankment, and had acid thrown in his face.
He suffered serious burns to his face and body.
His attackers shouted that they "Didn't like bikies," but police say the victim is not associated with any outlaw motorcycle groups.
Detective Acting Sergeant Peter Johnston says he thinks it was a random attack and says police are scouring CCTV for the attackers' car, a small, dark green four-door sedan.
Police are hoping to speak to the victim this morning."
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote