ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #3346
filmfan
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: live free or die
Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
...
There is no one size fits all way for cyclists to stay safe while accommodating other road users. There are different methods of dealing with the same situation that can yield favorable results.

I know this. Motorists who think they can squeeze past you will make that squeeze at times when it's unsafe to the bicyclist, to themselves and to other motorists. Moving to the center of the lane forces most of them to rethink and wait. Some still insist on passing, in which case you have much more room to escape to the right.

If someone doesn't see you, you are screwed no matter where you are in a narrow lane.
Well said.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #3347
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Center-stand View Post
At what point should he have moved to the center of the lane to slow the truck down?


..




Why would you even suggest that a cyclist pull out in front of a speeding truck? You guys want to dream up scenarios that have no basis in logic, reality or experience. Jeebus - I am just shocked by your question....

Let me quote it again because I can't believe that anyone would ask such a stupid question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Center-stand View Post
At what point should he have moved to the center of the lane to slow the truck down?


The question might be, what could the cyclist have done to protect himself from an asshole truck driver who was hell-bent on making a point?

Wanna know the answer? Absofuckinglylutely nothing. In this case, diving for the shoulder in the best response.

On my last 1200 event, I had a kid in a clapped out Honda do the same thing to me. Just as I was getting ready to bail, he jerked around me. Karma took a bight out of his young ass - a Texas DPS officer was ticketing him for something elas about 10 minutes up the road and we heard the officer warning him that if he didn't get rid of the muffler, it'd be another ticket next time.

That was just before a rottweiler got rolled by a Ford Explorer which he failed to notice while in "ears-laid-back-attack-mode". I hate to see a dog killed and I wished his owners had kept better care of him by keeping his on a leash.

This morning was a good morning. About 45 miles, 40 riders and no asshole drivers whatsoever. I took the lane once - I was nearing the top of a very short but steep hill and there was a truck coming up behind me...already slowing down. Can you believe that? There was a truck coming the other way. Narrow, two-lane road just north of South Mountain. The driver has no issue with me...nada. When he passed, I have him a friendly wave, a thumbs-on and he waved back.

Some of yall want to see "asshole cyclists" when you read such an event. I prefer "considerate cyclist" and "considerate driver" who both did the right thing for each other. In my part of the US, I'm lucky in that it's the rule and not the exception.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #3348
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Safe for YOU? How about everybody else?
So, if I'm riding in a manner that affects the road user directly behind me and it prevents them from going over the DY and having a head-on collision (or more likely sees the oncoming car and swerves into me) is that safer than just letting it happen?



IDK about y'all, but I can tell the difference in sound between a car slowing down behind me and one that's maintaining speed. One that's maintaining speed while coming up into a danger area really makes me nervous 'cause they're obviously not thinking 'what's coming over this hill?' or 'what's coming around this corner?' *I* am. Always.

There's a point where MY safety is everyone's. There's also the rest of the time I'm out where there's plenty of sight line and I still get passed within inches of my elbow 'just because.' ...Which leads me to ride assertively and maintain a good, visible line.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #3349
fltplan
Just toolin around
 
fltplan's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Southwest
Oddometer: 129
wow, this has gotten pretty emotional. all of my cycling over the years and I've only been surprised (as in I didn't know a car/truck was coming around me), maybe, twice. You can hear cars coming for quite awhile.

Also, the moving out in the center of the lane things is being taken out of context. Only when some obstacle on the same side of the road or oncoming traffic would cause an instance where I didn't have an out, would I move to the center of the lane. It's not a pleasant thing, but the lesser of two evils at that point.

I tried mirrors over the years and came to the conclusion that they didn't help me. I rode by myself most of the time and really could hear most things coming at me. I never used the mirror to watch the driver approach, don't know why.

On a side note, I can be getting out of my car parked on the street (think busy residential) and cars on my side will get within a couple feet of me instead of moving into the other lane with no oncoming traffic. Some people just think differently about moving into the other lane and would assume "hit you" before they did it, thinking they are in the right.

There is definitely some bad blood out there on this subject. This thread is identical on a couple different forums that I regular, not surprising. I never wanted to be "dead right" and never really thought "I have the right of way". I just wanted to stay alive. I always moved over as far as possible when I heard a car if there was no obstacles. I believe this showed the driver that I was aware of them and was make a conscious decision to give them room. Right or wrong, I never got "messed with" out on the road. I still believed my luck was running out and quit road biking completely when I wasn't comfortable with it anymore.

Be as safe as you can within reason and live with the risks...
__________________
AMA member
District 38 - 550S
KTM 300 XCW
www.2wheelsflyin.tumblr.com - my journey on wheels!
fltplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #3350
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltplan View Post
Be as safe as you can within reason and live with the risks...
exactly

Works riding motos as well as driving a car.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #3351
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded
 
Dranrab Luap's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Oddometer: 30,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltplan View Post
wow, this has gotten pretty emotional. all of my cycling over the years and I've only been surprised (as in I didn't know a car/truck was coming around me), maybe, twice. You can hear cars coming for quite awhile.

Also, the moving out in the center of the lane things is being taken out of context. Only when some obstacle on the same side of the road or oncoming traffic would cause an instance where I didn't have an out, would I move to the center of the lane. It's not a pleasant thing, but the lesser of two evils at that point.

I tried mirrors over the years and came to the conclusion that they didn't help me. I rode by myself most of the time and really could hear most things coming at me. I never used the mirror to watch the driver approach, don't know why.

On a side note, I can be getting out of my car parked on the street (think busy residential) and cars on my side will get within a couple feet of me instead of moving into the other lane with no oncoming traffic. Some people just think differently about moving into the other lane and would assume "hit you" before they did it, thinking they are in the right.

There is definitely some bad blood out there on this subject. This thread is identical on a couple different forums that I regular, not surprising. I never wanted to be "dead right" and never really thought "I have the right of way". I just wanted to stay alive. I always moved over as far as possible when I heard a car if there was no obstacles. I believe this showed the driver that I was aware of them and was make a conscious decision to give them room. Right or wrong, I never got "messed with" out on the road. I still believed my luck was running out and quit road biking completely when I wasn't comfortable with it anymore.

Be as safe as you can within reason and live with the risks...
Have you not been paying attention? People who don't ride bicycles are telling you that you cannot hear vehicles coming up behind you.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #3352
fltplan
Just toolin around
 
fltplan's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Southwest
Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Have you not been paying attention? People who don't ride bicycles are telling you that you cannot hear vehicles coming up behind you.
well, I'm agreeing with you here. I didn't read the entire thread and I don't know if it's 1/2 mile or a 1/4 mile, but you can hear cars. Not so much if you are in a pack of bicycles...

I'm kinda bad that way. If you believe that the sky is falling, I won't convince you otherwise. I just try to stay out of your way when you think the sky is falling. I don't know, internet arguments don't work. I just explain my side and hope that someone may see something in it. I know that everything I put in that post was genuine and true, people can take it or leave it.

And yes, you really can hear cars/trucks coming, like I said I was only surprised a couple times over the years.
__________________
AMA member
District 38 - 550S
KTM 300 XCW
www.2wheelsflyin.tumblr.com - my journey on wheels!
fltplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #3353
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltplan View Post
well, I'm agreeing with you here. I didn't read the entire thread and I don't know if it's 1/2 mile or a 1/4 mile, but you can hear cars. Not so much if you are in a pack of bicycles...

I'm kinda bad that way. If you believe that the sky is falling, I won't convince you otherwise. I just try to stay out of your way when you think the sky is falling. I don't know, internet arguments don't work. I just explain my side and hope that someone may see something in it. I know that everything I put in that post was genuine and true, people can take it or leave it.

And yes, you really can hear cars/trucks coming, like I said I was only surprised a couple times over the years.
Psst Paul's being sarcastic.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #3354
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
you cannot hear vehicles coming up behind you.
You can only hear the ones with loud pipes.
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #3355
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Bs you can hear a approaching vehicle, I can get real close to people on the scooter without them hearing me as the wheels are thin and no exhaust noise.

Relying on your hearing is foolish and dangerous. Get some mirrors and use them.
If your scooter is 8' wide and 12-16' long then yeah, that may be an issue...

Can you hear birds singing when you take a walk, hear a car a street over, a Harley with loud pipes three counties over? Same thing...Remember, bicycles have no engines. They make no noise. So unless you are saying all bicyclists are deaf, your point, is pretty dull.
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #3356
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
You can only hear the ones with loud pipes.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #3357
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Center-stand View Post
So tell me, ye one with great common sense, should I start slowing down for you 1/2 a mile away??

..
Common sense should dictate you when you should start to react to a situation up the road.

You really needed that question answered?
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #3358
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Its these cyclists that dont use mirrors and then sit in the middle of the road rather than allowing me to go past when there is plenty of room because they are relying on hearing which is frustrating.
I'll let you in on a little secret. There are even some bicyclists who have no common sense(shocking, I know).
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #3359
Center-stand
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post




Why would you even suggest that a cyclist pull out in front of a speeding truck? You guys want to dream up scenarios that have no basis in logic, reality or experience. Jeebus - I am just shocked by your question....

Let me quote it again because I can't believe that anyone would ask such a stupid question:


You really should read the thread and understand that this was a rhetorical question based on comments by bwalsh, Gummee and others.

I can't believe that anyone would show so much stupidity to comment when they don't have a reference to the context of the question.

..
Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #3360
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Center-stand View Post
You really should read the thread and understand that this was a rhetorical question based on comments by bwalsh, Gummee and others.

I can't believe that anyone would show so much stupidity to comment when they don't have a reference to the context of the question.

..
Oh well - maybe you shouldn't ask rhetorical questions if you don't want real answers.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014