Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #3586
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
There is a youtube of a South African Mountain biker being taken out by some wildlife .. unintentional collision... I'd think the same can happen most places with wildlife.
On my last big ride, there was a couple on a tandem whose front wheel was taken out by a wild pig. The front rider, a guy, suffered some pretty bad rash and the second person, a lady, broke her hip. They hit pretty hard and it unfortunately ended the event for both. She spent several days in the hospital.

They were about 5 miles into a 9 mile portion of dirt road just outside of Marble Falls Texas about an hour or so before daylight.

Later that same day I believe, I watched in horror as a doberman made a beeline for the group in front of me from a house off to the left. His ears were pinned back, he never made a sound and looked like a brown steak as he took off after them.

Too bad he missed the Explorer coming in the other direction....the Explorer didn't miss him. He was hit and killed instantly in a sickening crunch. I felt badly for the dog but his owners should have kept him contained.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #3587
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
On my last big ride, there was a couple on a tandem whose front wheel was taken out by a wild pig. The front rider, a guy, suffered some pretty bad rash and the second person, a lady, broke her hip. They hit pretty hard and it unfortunately ended the event for both. She spent several days in the hospital.

They were about 5 miles into a 9 mile portion of dirt road just outside of Marble Falls Texas about an hour or so before daylight.

Later that same day I believe, I watched in horror as a doberman made a beeline for the group in front of me from a house off to the left. His ears were pinned back, he never made a sound and looked like a brown steak as he took off after them.

Too bad he missed the Explorer coming in the other direction....the Explorer didn't miss him. He was hit and killed instantly in a sickening crunch. I felt badly for the dog but his owners should have kept him contained.

Sad, but definitely the owners fault.

What's the best way to deal with dogs chasing you while on a bicycle?

Bring along a slower rider.......
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #3588
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
Sad, but definitely the owners fault.

What's the best way to deal with dogs chasing you while on a bicycle?

Bring along a slower rider.......
Friend of mine in Ala keeps a CO2 bb gun with her on her rides. Evidently the animal control people out in the sticks in outer nowhere, Ala don't care about loose dogs.

I've heard of people using pepper spray, but ya gotta be careful to not ride thru yer own sprtiz.

On the same 'funny' vein: you never have to be fastest, just faster than the person/people you're riding with...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...8uP-dxllKQ#t=4
M

M
Old 10-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #3589
Ride-a-lot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Every few weeks I will look in this thread, its always the same shit with just different people saying it.

It reminds me of Nascar, people in here just going in endless circles and not getting any where.
Ride-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #3590
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
...What's the best way to deal with dogs chasing you while on a bicycle...
A squirt in the face with a water bottle and move on. No need to hurt the dog by shooting it with a bb gun...
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #3591
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
A squirt in the face with a water bottle and move on. No need to hurt the dog by shooting it with a bb gun...
+1
I've encountered very few dogs where even the squirt from the bottle was necessary, though a squirt of speed helps a lot.

I've found that shouting NO! or GO HOME! works pretty well too.

On the other side of the coin, we have some friends who have a couple of big dogs, but they are NEVER out loose, they are also well socialized, and very friendly. One day some cyclists rode by their house, the dogs were on leashes but barked, one of the riders stopped and gave them a ration of sh*t for having out of control vicious dogs.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #3592
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
...One day some cyclists rode by their house, the dogs were on leashes but barked, one of the riders stopped and gave them a ration of sh*t for having out of control vicious dogs.
Not much you can say there, just a duffass. :)
Old 10-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #3593
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,850
well I have had dogs like that chase me, and the solution is a shot of pepper spray. I hate to, but I am not going to be bitten.

I got a flat once in front of a house, and the bitch inside let her dogs out to attack. 3 dogs got pepper sprayed that day. She let them out, then after they were pepper sprayed came out to yell at me. I called the police to make sure they know what happened in case her side was not quite factual.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #3594
Homey
Studly Adventurer

I'm kind of ambivalent about pepper spray. It's not really going to hurt them. I've always had perfectly good results with the water bottle and I don't have to carry the pepper spray can. That seems like an inconvenience. I ride a lot and have never been bitten. I did have a dog crash me once. It came running out and stopped right in front of me. So I hit it. Taught him a lesson. He came over to me laying on the ground and started licking my face. He wasn't trying to bite me. I think he just wanted to play. Neither a water bottle, pepper spray would have stopped that one.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #3595
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
My experience has been that most dogs aren't out to bite you. Generally it's either that they want to play, or they are protecting their territory. For the latter when you get to their boundary they generally turn around and go back.

For the ones that are more serious, if you accelerate, even a little as they are running to intercept you change the angles on the intercept point and make them work harder. If you make them work hard enough many will give up the chase.

In some respects the ones that are just playing are hardest to deal with, since they'll keep going, last year I had a young lab who followed me for maybe 1/4 mile until I turned back and led her back to her driveway and owner.

I did get bit once, completely unexpected since it was a neighbor's dog. Fortunately, I was wearing tights since it was cold and the only damage was a slight red mark. After that my neighbor was more careful about making sure the dog was confined.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #3596
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
I've found that shouting NO! helps...

I got chased by a dog on a bicycle ride for the first time in years a few weeks ago. I remember reading to shout NO really loudly at the dog somewhere on this forum, so I tried it. The dog did back off. Not sure how well it would work on a dog truly interesting in taking me down though -- I think most dogs chasing things are just being a general pain in the ass and are not actively trying to kill you, but who knows.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #3597
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,072
Y'all have obviously never met rural Ala dogs.

Some dogs you can tell are out to have fun.
Some dogs you can tell are out to bite/attack

The trick is knowing which is which BEFORE you get bitten. If you're not a dog person, its easier to 'train' em with the bb gun before they get too close.

If they're close enough to spray with water or pepper spray, they're too close.

...and on another note: US-style speed limits for bicycles in IRE

M
Old 10-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #3598
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Y'all have obviously never met rural Ala dogs.

Some dogs you can tell are out to have fun.
Some dogs you can tell are out to bite/attack

The trick is knowing which is which BEFORE you get bitten. If you're not a dog person, its easier to 'train' em with the bb gun before they get too close.

If they're close enough to spray with water or pepper spray, they're too close.

...and on another note: US-style speed limits for bicycles in IRE

M
There were some stretches of road that were known to have loose dogs where I grew up. On group rides, they'd send an eager Junior (often me) to "Go wear out the dogs."

I'm unaware that we in the US were known for our bicycle speed limits, nor do I recall seeing any, ever.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #3599
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Many years ago I managed to get a 52 in a 30 and and a adder for a hospital zone.. On my 10 Speed. Judge let me off with a warning,, seemed impressed I got bicycle above 50.. Now if they would have got me about 30 seconds earlier before I slowed down...

When I checked into it it turned out that for the purposes of speed bicycles in most states are limited by the same limits as motor vehicles..

These days who knows..

Dave
Old 10-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #3600
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Y'all have obviously never met rural Ala dogs. ...
I live on a ranch and my next door neighbor has 14,000 acres. Is that not rural enough for you? 95% of my riding is rural. Water works just fine, even with the working dogs that run loose around here.
Shooting dogs, even with a bb gun, is just not right. Shoot yourself and see how it feels.

This is my neighborhood (not me though).