PSA about being seen apparently

M

Gummee! screwed with this post 11-06-2013 at 05:05 AM
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #3677
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
One thing I see constantly that is a danger to all road users is people hauling ass in confined spaces. Ripping through a parking lot or zipping down a turn late at 50mph faster than the next travel lane is going to end in a crunch. I have seen plenty of drivers haul ass up to a red light as well.

This tells me 1) people are impatient and don't care. "I wanna get there, damn the consequences" and 2) people do not look ahead or plan more than 1 second in front of them

That is what pedal bikes are up against. It is tough out there.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:06 AM   #3678
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,757
Boris Johnson launches London’s first fully segregated Cycle Superhighway

M
Old 11-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #3679
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Nice utopian view. Too bad the world doesn't actually work like that.
it's not utopian. it's rational. the world does work like that some places. and, in places where it does not work that way...it should.

Quote:
Say a kid runs out into traffic chasing a ball and you don't see him in time and clobber him into next week. Kid's at fault 'cause he didn't check traffic before darting out in front of you. ...but guess who's getting the ticket? It ain't the kid.
depending on the specifics, it is quite possible no one should get a ticket.

something very similar actually happened to a friend of mine when i was a kid except he was on a bicycle. one of my other friends had a driveway with a little bump at the end of it. we would ride down his driveway to get as much speed as we could and jump out into the street over the bump. usually, we would have a lookout to make sure no traffic was coming.

one of my friends did it without a look out and got hit by a car. the car did not get a ticket. the kid's parents had to pay for the damage to the car. that is as it should be. (fortunately, he was not seriously hurt. did have to spend a day in the hospital, but was fine after healing up.)

Quote:
Laws aren't fair, they're designed to protect people from themselves.
that's a serious problem. and you seem to just want to make it worse.

LittleRedToyota screwed with this post 11-06-2013 at 08:37 AM
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #3680
Spud99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
I rode a bicycle on the road for years as a commuter in the city, and as a recreational rider on just about anything paved. I rode on downtown streets, bike paths, highways and byways. I had my share of all the experiences both as a cyclist and a driver (except hitting or being hit).
This year I sold the road bike, bought a mountain bike and haven't looked back. No more road rage, close calls, inattentive drivers, dick head drivers or dick head bikers.
Off road is quiet, clean, challenging, scenic and a fantastic workout. I just got a head lamp for evening and night riding. It's a whole new world out there off the road.
Spud99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #3681
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud99 View Post
I rode a bicycle on the road for years as a commuter in the city, and as a recreational rider on just about anything paved. I rode on downtown streets, bike paths, highways and byways. I had my share of all the experiences both as a cyclist and a driver (except hitting or being hit).
This year I sold the road bike, bought a mountain bike and haven't looked back. No more road rage, close calls, inattentive drivers, dick head drivers or dick head bikers.
Off road is quiet, clean, challenging, scenic and a fantastic workout. I just got a head lamp for evening and night riding. It's a whole new world out there off the road.
It IS a whole different experience riding with few or no cars buzzing past at close range. Occasionally I ride one of the best climbs around here on my road bike and it takes a while to ignore the cars or huge trucks going by at 70 per,there's a bike lane painted on the road but its still nerve racking for a while.

Then do a fireroad ride on the mt bike and its quiet,no worries about avoiding vehicular manslaughter.

When I ride in town on my funky city bike I use the whole landscape,sidewalks,alleys,backroads,cut through schools,what ever. I refuse to become a statistic and avoid cars at all costs. (I ride slow on sidewalks) Its still most always faster then driving and parking my truck.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #3682
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Rewinding a few days... from another forum I post on:

I was riding out on a country road last week and a dog chased me and bit my shoe, wrecked the buckle, and ripped the shoe cover. I called the county sheriff. Sheriff came, animal control came. I wasn't injured, didn't break the skin, was very lucky. Kept the bike up and got up to 27 mph in my effort to outrun the dog, a big Boxer. Owner issued a citation by the police, there is a court date. The dog has chased me and others before, and I called the police before. They had been called about the same dog by others. Anybody ever have this happen and what happens next in court?

M
I recently out sprinted a snarling foaming crazy ass junk yard style dog,I credit my new carbon (light) Roubaix roadbike,it will get up to speed much quicker then my old classic bike.

The dogs first snap of the jaws was within a foot of my leg,it snuck up not making a sound then lunged!!!!!!!!!! I was lucky to get away.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #3683
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
It IS a whole different experience riding with few or no cars buzzing past at close range. Occasionally I ride one of the best climbs around here on my road bike and it takes a while to ignore the cars or huge trucks going by at 70 per,there's a bike lane painted on the road but its still nerve racking for a while.

Then do a fireroad ride on the mt bike and its quiet,no worries about avoiding vehicular manslaughter.

When I ride in town on my funky city bike I use the whole landscape,sidewalks,alleys,backroads,cut through schools,what ever. I refuse to become a statistic and avoid cars at all costs. (I ride slow on sidewalks) Its still most always faster then driving and parking my truck.
All these are reasons to ride gravel. For some reason, those s that won't give you space to breathe on the tarmac will pull over and be super polite on a gravel road.

Go figure

M
Old 11-09-2013, 04:46 AM   #3684
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Nice

M
Old 11-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #3685
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

This would piss off a lot of drivers:

...and some cyclists too!

M
Old 11-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #3686
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
This would piss off a lot of drivers:

...and some cyclists too!

M
Ive been in New Zealand when sheep are being run down the road,just gotta relax as they need to get where they're going somehow and there are LOTS of them.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #3687
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ive been in New Zealand when sheep are being run down the road,just gotta relax as they need to get where they're going somehow and there are LOTS of them.
It happens out here in the west too. I've had to weave through a herd of cows before. "Open Range" is a sign to pay attention to.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #3688
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR View Post
It happens out here in the west too. I've had to weave through a herd of cows before. "Open Range" is a sign to pay attention to.
I was told that if you hit a cow on an open range signed road, you're responsible for that cow and the $ loss to the owner.

Someone may wanna research that. For me, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

M
Old 11-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #3689
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
I was told that if you hit a cow on an open range signed road, you're responsible for that cow and the $ loss to the owner.

Someone may wanna research that. For me, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

M
Utah has a website with their guidelines,
http://www.ag.utah.gov/animal/animal...ollisions.html

I would expect most states are similar if not the same. it's not quite that clear cut of course, like all legal mumbo jumbo...
Old 11-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #3690
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,152
An average sporting dog can do 30+mph. A fast one 40 or better.

You will be better off riding w/ someone slower than you than trying to outrun a dog.