Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #3691
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I was told that if you hit a cow on an open range signed road, you're responsible for that cow and the $ loss to the owner.

Someone may wanna research that. For me, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

M
My understanding is that (here in CA) you are liable if you hit a cow/steer on a marked open range. I remember when I was a kid hearing about a friend of my parents who's family got a bill for a bull that the father hit with his truck. The crash was a tie, they both died.

I remember a girl t-boning a cow on Monitor Pass (during the Death Ride) at about 50mph. She knocked the cow over but it got up and ran off. She on the other hand got a helicopter ride off the pass.

Hitting something that weighs over 1000lbs doesn't appear to be a good idea. Even if they look soft and furry.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #3692
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
Hitting something that weighs over 1000lbs doesn't appear to be a good idea. Even if they look soft and furry.
If your going to hit something - hit it square on. Vet fees are expensive, either kill it or miss it.

Most of the wild life here tends to take off in unexpected directions - so going where they now are ensures they won't be there when you pass. Cattle and sheep are different ... anyone's guess as to where they'll go.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #3693
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
My understanding is that (here in CA) you are liable if you hit a cow/steer on a marked open range. I remember when I was a kid hearing about a friend of my parents who's family got a bill for a bull that the father hit with his truck. The crash was a tie, they both died.

I remember a girl t-boning a cow on Monitor Pass (during the Death Ride) at about 50mph. She knocked the cow over but it got up and ran off. She on the other hand got a helicopter ride off the pass.

Heh,.........I hit a cow out riding in Nevada at about 55mph,and lived.
It felt like bouncing off the side of a house,didnt give much.

I was passing a string of slow moving trucks on a dirt road,the cow had been backed up to the fence and picked that second to sprint between trucks. The first second I saw it I hit it.

I launched over the bars and flew about 60' down the dirt road eventually touching down and tumbling/sliding with the bike coming to rest on top of my legs. The cow ambled away,seemed ok. I hit it's rear quarter with my handlebar and left side of the bike.

I was SO lucky and have felt lucky ever since,I could have gone under the truck right next to me,or centerpunched the cow and destroyed me and the bike. Or broke something major flipping down the road with the bike.

As it was I put some new bolts in the handlebar mounts as I had ripped the old ones out with my thighs going over the bars,and rode 85 miles of dirt the next day.

It hurt too much all over to sit still anymore.

Its been a popular story ever since.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #3694
Center-stand
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591

Twice in the last 10 days I have come up on accident scenes involving bikes and cages. Both times there was a bike lane, and it appeared the accident occurred at or near the entrance to a commercial parking lot and there was an intersection within 100 feet. I do not know the details of either accident just that there was police and ambulance on the scene with damaged bikes.

So yesterday, after passing the firetruck, ambulance loading the victim, and two police cruisers, all with lights flashing, driving a mere three blocks and while stopped at a light, 4 back in line, a bike passes me on the right (no lane here), proceeds past the three vehicles in front of me, and with a quick glance, goes through the red light without stopping.

While in this case there was no traffic coming, had the first car in line been making a right turn on red it could have been bad for the cyclist.

The accident yesterday was near campus in an area dense with off campus student housing. There is almost always a lot of traffic, cages, bikes, and pedestrians.

Cyclists may not always be at fault, but they always get the worst end of the deal when there is contact with a cage. You simply can't assume that because you have the right of way, it will be given to you. This applies to both cyclists and cage drivers.
Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #3695
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Center-stand View Post
Cyclists may not always be at fault, but they always get the worst end of the deal when there is contact with a cage. You simply can't assume that because you have the right of way, it will be given to you.

Agreed.

I may ride more assertively out on the road than Kbasa, but I stop at lights and signs. Pisses me off when idiots run lights 'cause *I* get to deal with the fallout.

Seems that EVERY cyclist gets tarred with the same brush regardless of how/where we're riding.

Just like not everyone's a pirate, squid, or power ranger, not all of us on bikes run lights and signs.

M
Old 11-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #3696
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray0of0Sun View Post
And then there is this!
Oh, jeez... not this shit again.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #3697
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Center-stand View Post
Cyclists may not always be at fault, but they always get the worst end of the deal when there is contact with a cage.
15 hours ago • Arizona Daily Star

A 78-year-old driver crashed into an El Tour de Tucson bicyclist from behind in a designated bike lane late Saturday afternoon, killing him, authorities said.
The bicyclist, identified as 59-year-old John S. Henderson of Tucson, was riding properly in the El Tour bike lane, which was marked and enclosed by cones, said Department of Public Safety Officer Raul Molina.
Henderson was struck about 5:20 p.m. on the eastbound Interstate 10 frontage road near Sunset Road. He was riding solo at the time, Molina said.
Paramedics performed advanced life support on Henderson, but he was pronounced dead at the scene, said Northwest Fire District Capt. Adam Goldberg.
The driver of the Nissan Leaf, who was alone in the car, stayed at the scene. “Tucson Fire paramedics evaluated and transported the driver to a hospital for evaluation and treatment. The condition of the driver and the indications for the treatment and transport will be released by the Department of Public Safety when the investigation has been completed,” Goldberg said in a news release.
Investigators do not suspect drugs or alcohol had anything to do with the crash, said Molina.
Although skies were overcast, visibility was good, and it was not raining at the time, he said.
He said the car’s speed was “probably within the speed limit on the frontage road,” although the car should not have been in the bike lane.
El Tour founder and president Richard DeBernardis said late Saturday that he was “completely devastated” by Henderson’s death.
“The cyclist did everything right,” he said.
Saturday’s death is the second associated with the 31-ride history of El Tour. In 1996, bicyclist David vonKersburg, 28, was killed by a passing car on his way to the start of the race.
In 2008, a 91-year-old driver struck a group of 10 El Tour bicyclists when he turned left in front of the race on East Ina Road near Westward Look Resort, then left the scene. Five bicyclists were injured, including one who was left with a life-altering brain injury.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #3698
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,328
I don't get how a bike lane can be "enclosed" by cones...

such sloppy writing simply perpetuates the false impression that bike lanes are somehow safer for bicyclists, that they offer protection from inattentive or malevolent cagers.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #3699
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I don't get how a bike lane can be "enclosed" by cones...

such sloppy writing simply perpetuates the false impression that bike lanes are somehow safer for bicyclists, that they offer protection from inattentive or malevolent cagers.
El Tour is HUGE! Its not like the driver hadn't seen other cyclists out there.

Speaking of which:
Man arrested in road rage incident with bicyclist

• A man was arrested for allegedly harassing a bicyclist on Saturday.

A man was arrested for an alleged road rage incident with a bicyclist in the Westwood Highlands neighborhood of San Francisco on Saturday, police said.
The incident occurred near Burlwood and Los Palmos drives about 5:40 p.m., police Officer Gordon Shyy said.
The 61-year-old male bicyclist was reportedly riding along when a silver Toyota Prius drove up behind him and began honking the horn, Shyy said. The vehicle then pulled up alongside the bicyclist and words were exchanged between the driver and the bicyclist.

The driver of the Prius then sped around the bicyclist and stopped short in front of him causing the victim to swerve away from the vehicle and crash into the curb, Shyy said. The Prius then fled the scene.
The bicyclist went home and called police. After they arrived, they were able to locate the suspect and vehicle at his residence nearby and arrest him.
The suspect was identified by police as 50-year-old San Francisco resident Boris Volpe. He was charged with assault with a deadly weapon, Shyy said. The victim's injuries were not serious and he refused medical treatment.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #3700
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,978
Bicycles on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
El Tour is HUGE! Its not like the driver hadn't seen other cyclists out there.

Speaking of which:
Man arrested in road rage incident with bicyclist

by Rob Nagle @SFEX_RobNagle

• A man was arrested for allegedly harassing a bicyclist on Saturday.

A man was arrested for an alleged road rage incident with a bicyclist in the Westwood Highlands neighborhood of San Francisco on Saturday, police said.
The incident occurred near Burlwood and Los Palmos drives about 5:40 p.m., police Officer Gordon Shyy said.
The 61-year-old male bicyclist was reportedly riding along when a silver Toyota Prius drove up behind him and began honking the horn, Shyy said. The vehicle then pulled up alongside the bicyclist and words were exchanged between the driver and the bicyclist.

The driver of the Prius then sped around the bicyclist and stopped short in front of him causing the victim to swerve away from the vehicle and crash into the curb, Shyy said. The Prius then fled the scene.
The bicyclist went home and called police. After they arrived, they were able to locate the suspect and vehicle at his residence nearby and arrest him.
The suspect was identified by police as 50-year-old San Francisco resident Boris Volpe. He was charged with assault with a deadly weapon, Shyy said. The victim's injuries were not serious and he refused medical treatment.
Victim should have gone to the Doctor to document any scrapes and bruises.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #3701
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 967
I have an acquaintance who carries a bunch of pennies in his pocket and rides his bicycle on the busiest road. He says if someone threatens him or is a dick he'll trow a handful of pennies at the infracting cage. I bit my tongue. A good friend, told me a long time ago: "There is such a thing as dead right!"

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940

Sun Ray screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 09:12 AM
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #3702
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
I have an acquaintance who carries a bunch of pennies in his pocket and rides his bicycle on the busiest road. He says if someone threatens him or is a dick he'll trow a handful of pennies at the infracting cage. I bit my tongue. I good friend, told me a long time ago: "There is such a thing as dead right!"
As you know, your friend is an idiot!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #3703
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 967
"Acquaintance." A big difference. I'm not buying him beers and we aren't going on bicycle rides either. He is a bitter fuck, not unlike some people on this forum.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #3704
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
I have an acquaintance who carries a bunch of pennies in his pocket and rides his bicycle on the busiest road. He says if someone threatens him or is a dick he'll trow a handful of pennies at the infracting cage. I bit my tongue. I good friend, told me a long time ago: "There is such a thing as dead right!"
I once had an older gentleman follow me in his car,he had seen me roll through a stop sign and turned vigilante,I was on a mt bike,he followed getting closer and closer no matter what I did,I realized the plan was to knock me off the bike or run over me.
I dove behind a portable cement traffic barrier and started picking up rocks to throw,the second he saw I was no longer totally defenseless he drove away at full throttle. Im not so sure age 70's/80's people should be out driving cars around. Its a right in this country pretty much but it can get really dangerous for the rest of us.

Yes I rolled a stop sign in a deserted area,it happens in cars/bikes what ever.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #3705
billmags
Scoot Jockey

Oddometer: 290
As teens my friend and I would ride anywhere and everywhere- across bridges and sometimes on ramps where we shouldn't be. Once my friend got hit by a full pint of Budweiser in the back- intentionally thrown by the passenger in a delivery truck. He stunk of beer but he was ok. We laughed and kept riding. :)

(Rest in peace Mike, my old friend)
billmags is offline   Reply With Quote