Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #3781
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Center-stand View Post
A bike passes in the direction I'm going, in the right lane about 4 feet off the curb, a commercial van follows it, and a few car lengths back, in the left lane, an SUV.

I pull out after they all pass. The van is riding his brakes and going about 20 mph below the limit because, there is not enough room to go around the bike in the same lane, and the SUV is too close for him to change lanes.

I'm in the lane behind the SUV. As we approach the intersection a block from where I pulled onto the street, the SUV has passed the van and now I am too close for him to change lanes so he is still riding his brakes. The light changes to red, the SUV gets through but I begin to slow for the light and momentarily, almost match the speed of the van, though I am still overtaking him. The bike is now out of my sight, being blocked by the van. Suddenly about three car lengths from the light, the bike shoots across the right lane in front of the van, across the left lane in front of me, and into the left turn lane.

.. I immediately began to wonder who you guys would blame had I ran over him.
The van driver.
1) riding the brakes ... bad.
2) following too close to the bicycle? High probability, especially with the brake action. The obstructs the bicycles view behind, endangers the cyclist for a rear ender, reduces the cyclists ability to respond to dangers (as he is partially occupied by the van behind, if 'he' quickly responds to some danger will the van avoid 'him' and it?).

The cyclist.
Instead of changing lanes, just get up to the lights .. and then morph into a pedestrian and cross the road. A safer action. (I'd give the van driver a dirty look.)
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #3782
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
I would have blamed the flattened guy under your car, and hoped he didn't scratch the bumper too badly when you hit him.
Rider is clearly an asshole, with no situational awareness.

Darwin will catch up with him.

Or is he/she a new cyclist? A nervous cyclist? A very poor cyclist who has no business in traffic but is still there, nonetheless?
A cyclist who is living and breathing- just like you and your loved ones.

How'd that bumper feel when it hit your head 'billy? Like you were clearly an asshole?

That's a different type of situational awareness,huh?
Old 12-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #3783
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,966
If they have no more traffic sense than that they don't have any business riding on the street.
Where they can cause a bigger accident and get someone else hurt.

Van riding behind them, bicyclist changes lanes abruptly in front of him.
Van swerves left, and jams on the brakes. Not realizing there is a motorcycle next to him.

Forcing Ozmoses into oncoming traffic, or knocking you down and then running over you with the rear tires of the truck.

Still OK with it?

Or the cyclist cuts from in front of the truck to in front of you and you hit him on your bike.
Crashing and injuring both of you. Or getting you run over by Sally Soccermom who is yelling at her crotchfruit in the back seat and yammering on the cell phone while tailgating you.

You missed seeing the cyclist because you are worried about the car on your rear tire, and that is how you end up crashed.

Instead of the cyclist riding about 18 inches or so from the curb, staying out of the junk that accumulates in the gutter and still giving traffic behind him room to make a safe pass.

He could have went to the light, got out of traffic and then crossed in the crosswalk.

Or caused a crash behind him and rode on oblivious because he didn't hear it over the Nickelback playing over his earbuds.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #3784
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,547
Just because you didn't see him doesn't necessarily mean he didn't see you.

From your post it sound's like you were annoyed by the van having to "ride his brakes". I see no reason it is relevant to the story...except neither you or the SUV driver would let the van driver over to pass the bicyclist.

It sounds to me like he was trying to stay out of the way of traffic(on the right side of the lane) up to his left turn he obviously made. Does it really bother you if he crossed in front of you...at a red light and took the cross walk?

What would you have posted if the bicyclist was riding at his speed in the left lane so he could make a left at the light with out having to cross lanes to do so?

We're not talking about a dead cyclist. Sounds like the guy had situational awareness. Look at things from different perspectives now and then. You will never know what you might have learned if you don't...

bwalsh screwed with this post 12-26-2013 at 05:45 PM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #3785
Center-stand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Bwalsh,

I was not annoyed at all. The cyclist, I think, is lucky I was aware of him.

Perhaps "riding his brakes" is not the right terminology. I should have said he was repeatedly tapping his brakes, probably to let any following vehicle know he was traveling slow.

The cyclist was out of sight momentarily while the van blocked my view. I was aware of him but didn't expect to see him turn in front of me. If he knew he was crossing in front of a vehicle in the left lane that he had no real opportunity to judge it's pace, then he is crazy and deserves to be run over.

Surely I should slow down as well, we should make all the lanes travel at the speed of the cyclist, and I need to be more courteous to the van driver than the cyclist was, in order to accommodate the speed of the cyclist, who didn't wait for traffic to stop to make his left turn in front of two moving vehicles, but did so prior to the crosswalk while we were still moving.

I think the van was not following too close considering the 12 or 15 mph he was traveling at, and he didn't hit the cyclist either, when he darted across the lanes.

If you ride like you read, your situational awareness might get you run over someday.

It's amazing how quick some of you jump to defend a cyclist you didn't see, but failed to comment about, either in defense or condemnation, those cyclists in the DC video. When the stereotypical bad cyclist is presented in numbers you have the capacity to totally ignore it.

Center-stand screwed with this post 12-26-2013 at 07:14 PM
Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #3786
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Surely I should slow down as well, we should make all the lanes travel at the speed of the cyclist, and I need to be more courteous to the van driver than the cyclist was, in order to accommodate the speed of the cyclist, who didn't wait for traffic to stop to make his left turn in front of two moving vehicles, but did so prior to the crosswalk while we were still moving.

I didn't say slow to the speed of the cyclist. How was the cyclist not courteous to the van driver. By staying. If the light was red, or had just changed you and the van were slowing down. You make it sounds like he whipped in front of the tow of you while at speed...which would be a whole different story.

I think the van was not following too close considering the 12 or 15 mph he was traveling at, and he didn't hit the cyclist either, when he darted across the lanes.

Yes, because the van driver and you were slowing, coming up to a red light.

If you ride like you read, your situational awareness might get you run over someday.

Do you read tarot cards and look into crystal balls in your spare time? Can you read my hand?
I call em like I read em. Maybe you think he was a jackass for getting thru the intersection before everyone else but was it any skin off your nose?

It's amazing how quick some of you jump to defend a cyclist you didn't see, but failed to comment about, either in defense or condemnation, those cyclists in the DC video. When the stereotypical bad cyclist is presented in numbers you have the capacity to totally ignore it.

Hey, we didn't see you either. Just going off what you typed. Maybe you need better writing skills.
I have nothing to comment on regarding the video. I never watched it. I'm sure if the cyclists were being idiots I would agree. How much time did this encounter with one cyclist take out of your life? A few minutes? You obviously were annoyed or you wouldn't have wasted time commenting about your encounter with the cyclist...or was your previous post just a tweet?

Old 12-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #3787
Center-stand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
So you can read my mind?? You call em like you read em?? Did I mention Jackass? Don't think so.

Quote:
I didn't say slow to the speed of the cyclist.
But you did say

Quote:
neither you or the SUV driver would let the van driver over to pass the bicyclist.
If I had slowed to allow the van to get in front of me, I would have slowed to the pace of the bicycle.

It's a twenty mile drive home from where this incident happened and I wondered on the way home if I could write about it in a matter of fact manner that would be understood by the readers here, in a way that would not invite harsh name calling rhetoric. I tried to include enough details, even the fact that as I was slowing, I was still overtaking the slowing van. I tried to make it easy to understand that the crossing of the lanes was not proper rider etiquette, and in my opinion unsafe. Obviously I failed. There seems to be those who communicate best when name calling and spouting rhetoric. I'm not one of those.

So you think if every body else is slowing for a red light it is OK for the cyclist to suddenly make a lane change in front of everybody else from the extreme right to the extreme left???? And you wonder why some on this site get angry at cyclists??

It's OK for Gummee to call two cage drivers names for being impatient, and nobody says a word. I relate a similar experience with a cyclist, without any name calling, and you want to go off on me???

Was it any skin off your nose? You seem to be the one jacked up about it.

The bike rider was careless, maybe reckless, and inconsiderate in his actions. Those of us around him were considerate and allowed him room to be the way he was, and you want to find fault with my actions. Have at it.

My point was, and is, there are inconsiderate riders and drivers everywhere, and that extends to this site. If you somehow feel better by suggesting that I was angry or that it was my fault, I'm glad you feel better.

Video of DC ride, supposedly to promote fun and safety

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=243_1371528503

Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #3788
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
It's OK for Gummee to call two cage drivers names for being impatient, and nobody says a word. I relate a similar experience with a cyclist, without any name calling, and you want to go off on me???

Video of DC ride, supposedly to promote fun and safety

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=243_1371528503

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think very many people take Gummee seriously anymore. If you read his new sigline, "I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles," he clearly has an agenda and doesn't exactly come here in what I see as the spirit of this site; to be an adventure motorcyclist that wants share with other adventure motorcyclists.

The video speaks for itself. Arrogance has a price. Did anyone also notice riding across the yellow line and that the bus stop was blocked after the accident by the cyclists? It's tough to take these types seriously, either.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #3789
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So you can read my mind?? You call em like you read em?? Did I mention Jackass? Don't think so.
I said jackass. If the rider was a jackass I'll call him a jackass. same goes for cagers, riders, truckers, pedestrians, etc.

What I see from your description is a guy trying to stay out of the way(right side of the right lane). Maybe he could have moved over further, maybe not. That's beside the point because you obviously have issues with the way he made his left turn. So...

At the light, from your post, I see a guy trying to make a left turn...from the far right lane while staying out of the way of moving traffic(doing so while traffic is slowing and coming to a stop). Should he have waited for traffic to come to a complete stop? I can't say but he's still alive isn't he? That's not too dangerous as he can hear vehicles speeding up to make the light and stay out of the way.

Who gives a damn if he made the turn itself legal, illegal, or otherwise. He made the turn and went on his way. Did he inconvenience you in any way? Sounds like he did.

Personally, I think you turned a mole hill into a mountain. If you don't like opinions that don't mirror yours, don't post on the internet.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #3790
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

As far as the video is concerned, there are idiots in all walks of life. I'm sure those few cyclists don't represent the entire DC bike party participants but a few bad apples always spoils the entire bunch. Maybe DC bike party has been getting flack from that video...

http://dcbikeparty.com/

Should I post the NYC Hollywood stuntaz video(s) as a better example of idiots on two wheels?

Old 12-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #3791
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkmania View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I don't think very many people take Gummee seriously anymore. If you read his new sigline, "I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles," he clearly has an agenda and doesn't exactly come here in what I see as the spirit of this site; to be an adventure motorcyclist that wants share with other adventure motorcyclists.

The video speaks for itself. Arrogance has a price. Did anyone also notice riding across the yellow line and that the bus stop was blocked after the accident by the cyclists? It's tough to take these types seriously, either.
Umm dood. Eff off.

I don't have an agenda other than pointing out the hypocrisy of 2-wheeled riders complaining about bicyclists. The exact same shit that y'all are spouting off about bicycles, I've heard from motorists about motorcycles.

Bicycles don't ride wheelies down freeways at 80+ (seen that)
Bicycles aren't loud (loud pipes got ALL of us kicked out of more than a few places. I see a 'ride quietly' sign entering The Plains every time I go thru there. When's the last time you saw that about a bicycle? )
Bicycles don't 'weave in and out of 70mph traffic, scaring the motorists
Bicycles don't burn any fossil fuels
Bicycles don't do any* road damage

YOU try being unemployed for 2+ years after having the ex- take everything you owned and/or held dear and tell me how soon YOU come up with $ to replace a moto. I managed to live on less than $1k/mo for a long time and there's not a lot for things you NEED to buy, much less things that you'd LIKE to buy.

So I say again:

M

*I saw a study that said it'd take 92XX bicycles running over the same bit of road to equal the damage from one car
Old 12-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #3792
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Umm dood. Eff off.

I don't have an agenda other than pointing out the hypocrisy of 2-wheeled riders complaining about bicyclists.
Um, dood. That's an agenda. Thanks for confirming it publicly. You, sir, have hurt your cause in my eyes. As for the eff off, I have been cursed worse in this thread. Ad hominems are just par for this thread and I don't take those seriously anymore. Rant away if it makes you feel better.

Quote:
The exact same shit that y'all are spouting off about bicycles, I've heard from motorists about motorcycles.
I say there, Mr. Strawman, that was an irrelevant misdirection.

Quote:
YOU try being unemployed for 2+ years after having the ex- take everything you owned and/or held dear and tell me how soon YOU come up with $ to replace a moto. I managed to live on less than $1k/mo for a long time and there's not a lot for things you NEED to buy, much less things that you'd LIKE to buy.
Well, Mike. I don't think there was any way anyone here could have known about your circumstances until now. I don't know how your poor circumstances could be used to support any arguments, but I won't chastise you for it. Instead, I empathize with you since I have undergone some struggles myself this year. I wish you all the best and wish you a Happy New Year.

Now, if you could back off from your stated agenda and look in the mirror with your fellow bicyclists then, perhaps, I could take you more seriously.

Quote:
So I say again: M
Yeah, you said that.

Quote:
*I saw a study that said it'd take 92XX bicycles running over the same bit of road to equal the damage from one car
I get it. You think bikes are better. Trying to prove that point over and over again is agenda point #2.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #3793
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkmania View Post
Well, Mike. I don't think there was any way anyone here could have known about your circumstances until now. I don't know how your poor circumstances could be used to support any arguments, but I won't chastise you for it. Instead, I empathize with you since I have undergone some struggles myself this year. I wish you all the best and wish you a Happy New Year.
So how many times do I have to hear 'he's bikeless! don't listen to him' before I get tired of it? I guess its completely beside the point that both big bikes I had had over 50k ea on em when I lost the GS-Adv I'd traded in my paid-off RT on in the divorce

Quote:
Now, if you could back off from your stated agenda and look in the mirror with your fellow bicyclists then, perhaps, I could take you more seriously.
Go check out the bicycle thread in sports or the show us your bicycle thread in shiny things and you'll see that I spend time there too. I only come up here to point out that y'all that are hating on bicycles are hating on lots of your fellow ADVRiders. ...INCLUDING Baldy, the founder. He probably rides more in a year than even I do!

So next time you run across a cyclist, you *could* be hassling one of your own.

Quote:
I get it. You think bikes are better. Trying to prove that point over and over again is agenda point #2.
No. Bikes aren't better. They're different ways of doing the same thing. THAT'S been my point for a while now. The same feeling of freedom, the same feeling of speed, the same 'being exposed to the elements' etc are all same-same as on a moto, just under your own power.

Well... let me modify that somewhat: bikes ARE better at erasing the roll round yer middle.

Thinking that just because someone's on a bicycle they should abrogate their rights to safe riding is asinine at best and hypocritical at worst. The same exact recommendations are made for riding safely on a moto: ride visibly, have an out, etc. That guy in the video posted a few pages back was riding in the right tire track: He's visible and he's got an out to his right.

Having ridden both motos and pedal bikes, they're complimentary not antagonistic. Riding a bicycle better will make you a better moto rider. Ask Ben Bostrum, both Hayden brothers, most of the pros in fact. Riding a moto better will make you a better cyclist. Especially an off-road bike. AMHIK

M
Old 12-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #3794
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
so... gummee
you are physically fit enough to ride a bike.
you say you have been unemployed for over 2 years.
my perception of you just changed from slightly wacky hard core bicycle proponent

now i see you as a bitter,lazy, whining self righteous ahole .
unemployed for 2 years? what the hell is wrong with you?
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #3795
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,966
Them DC bike party folks are hardcore.
Quote:
We’ll ride for about 7.5 miles, with a pit-stop on Capitol Hill. The after party is at Madhatter

7.5 miles with a pit stop and an after party
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote