Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #4126
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post

Both are a premeditated act having an impact on others that can be avoided under most circumstances, and minimized when unavoidable. The act may be different but the perception of the person hitting the brakes is the same.
Like George Carlin said, anybody slower than me is a jerk, anybody faster than me is a idiot.

One is a clueless cager(probably texting) pulling into oncoming traffic then lollygagging up the road. Remember a cage has a go peddle that can be depressed to make the vehicle go faster(keep up with traffic).
The other is a bicyclist, already in the lane(where you should be able to see him/her from a distance), moving along at an even speed, that may or may not have to reposition in his/her lane to avoid an obstacle.

You've never had to reposition your truck in a travel lane in a split second before? You know, a kid running into the street, some fool in a cage pulling into you, Large pot hole, etc.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #4127
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

one is a clueless cager(probably texting) pulling into oncoming traffic then lollygagging up the road. Remember a cage has a go peddle that can be depressed to make the vehicle go faster(keep up with traffic).
The other is a bicyclist, already in the lane(where you should be able to see him/her from a distance), moving along at an even speed, that may or may not have to reposition in his/her lane to avoid an obstacle.

You've never had to reposition your truck in a travel lane in a split second before? You know, a kid running into the street, some fool in a cage pulling into you, large pot hole, self righteous douche on a bicycle, etc.
fixed.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #4128
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
fixed.
This is your schtick-one liners which add little or nothing of value to the conversation?

Good job.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #4129
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
Unbelievable - this thread, that is.

Lemme break it down for everyone (yes, I'm talking to BOTH sides here.)

Whether you are a pedestrian, riding a horse, driving cattle, on a bicycle, motorcycle, or in a car, remember that YOU don't have a sole right to the road. Legally speaking the only time a motorised vehicle has exclusive right to use a roadway, is when you're on an interstate. Otherwise, you must SHARE the road with other users. Period. End of story. If you're too immature to swallow your pride and deal with less than ideal situations that may crop up while on the road, you should have stayed home.

Cyclists.... Stop riding three abreast in the middle of the road. It's discourteous to those that need to get somewhere, or simply don't want to be stuck behind you. I've ridden a bicycle on the road a time or two, so I'm certainly not opposed to the use of the road by cyclists, but show a little respect.

Cagers.... Get off your sanctimonious high horse about anything that you view is "in your way". Remember, you don't own the road. If you perceive that someone is blocking your path of travel, acting like a jerk solves nothing. Calm down, and pass when you have the chance. Blaring your horn, and acting like an idiot will get you in trouble sometime - you'll kill or injure someone, or perhaps one day someone will have enough of your behaviour and teach you a lesson that you won't forget any time soon.

Those are my takeaway points, from many hours spent on foot, riding bicycles, working animals, driving, and riding a motorcycle.

Be courteous. You never know when someone else is having a bad day. Be slow to lose your temper, and take things in stride.
You have impressed me as being reasonable and polite, so I'd appreciate your taking time to answer a question or two for me. You encounter 3 cyclists riding on a narrow rural roadway with a 45 MPH speed limit. The cyclists are traveling at 20MPH. Do you think it would be faster (I was going to use the word easier, but that implies that there is at least a modicum of difficulty in passing) to pass them if they were 3 abreast or riding in single file 2.5 feet off the fog line? In either case the road is so narrow that you MUST enter the oncoming lane to pass them with safe clearance. How much longer (time you enter the oncoming lane until the time you leave it) do you think one would take over the other. For the sake of this discussion a bicycle is 6 feet long. The riders riding single file have 6 feet in between them.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #4130
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
This is your schtick-one liners which add little or nothing of value to the conversation?

Good job.
Sorry , no spelling corrections for you. Whatever will you do now? Go peddle your ass on the side of the road.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #4131
ozmoses
Ride On

Quote:
Sorry , no spelling corrections for you. Whatever will you do now? Go peddle your ass on the side of the road.

Spelling is the least of your problems, it's lack of content aka your signal to noise ratio.

Also, an over-dependence on emoticons.

Go pedal, or peddle if you prefer, a bike and report back how entitled and self-righteous you feel.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #4132
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,732
Quote:
You know, that is a good point. I hadn't thought of it that way.

I'm from New England - the roads here are almost all very twisty, hilly, and low visibility into an oncoming lane is something that is very much of an issue here.

It annoys me when cyclists take up much of the lane I'm traveling in and once aware of my presence refuse to get over (it seems like common courtesy, to me - I don't expect them to hit the ditch, but I do try to take up only the right wheel track when I'm on a public road,) and usually that is because they're riding several deep in the road. I've never really had the need to pass a group of cyclists that were strung out like you describe in a poor visibility stretch of road, and so haven't had the chance to see any down side of that.

I guess I've just learned I need to think things through a little more before typing. I've never ridden a bicycle in a group (one other person is the most I've ridden with) and so I understand the temptation to ride along side your partner, so as to carry on a conversation. I also try to pull ahead of, or behind my riding partner if I hear a car coming, if for no other reason than the fact that I don't want to be a hood ornament.
Cycling is a social sport. Those that don't do it couldn't possibly imagine the conversations we have on long rides.

In a situation where its one-two of us riding, I'll typically slide behind my riding buddy and go single file **unless its not safe** then I'll sit there till it is. Going single file in a dangerous situation is asking for someone to pass you. AMHIK

Here's a hypothetical for y'all: You're riding the twisties on a sunny Sunday when a guy in a Porsche comes zooming up on your wheel right before a blind corner. Do you
A. pull over immediately regardless of safety?
B. Say 'eff you! I'm riding here!' and continue on your merry way?
C. Pull off at the next driveway you see regardless or driveway surface? In my neck of the woods, that driveway's probably gonna be gravel.
D. Go around the corner where you can see, then move to the right side of the lane and wave the guy on around?

M
Old 01-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #4133
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Go peddle your ass on the side of the road.
And I MEANT peddle.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #4134
ozmoses
Ride On

Paul-

that is an interesting question.

Whenever we've gone on group rides of,say, 4-20 cyclists one of two things occur-either the group is naturally split by pace and comfort level into smaller segments or we actually form a peloton with the lead rider peeling off to the back every couple miles or so.
The largest our group ever became was 2 dozen or so and, frankly, it was too many and seemed to cause traffic problems-I opted for smaller rides at that point.

Personally, I've only ever considered single file, front wheel overlapping rear on the inside, as the safest/most courteous method of riding. What I have noticed is that a group of 10 or more command much more respect from other traffic. I don't like the idea of 'forcing' anyone into the oncoming to pass, nor would I want to be, but your point of timing is valid.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #4135
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah. Good one.
TROLL.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #4136
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Why do you want him to prostitute himself out?
Old 01-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #4137
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Why do you want him to prostitute himself out?
Prostitution? That suggests payment.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #4138
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,101
Quote:
Spelling is the least of your problems, it's lack of content aka your signal to noise ratio.

Also, an over-dependence on emoticons.

Go pedal, or peddle if you prefer, a bike and report back how entitled and self-righteous you feel.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #4139
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
You know, that is a good point. I hadn't thought of it that way.
And most people haven't. I knew you would ponder the question with an open mind. With that said, I will almost always single up to give the appearance of being helpful. You learn some things in interacting with traffic over many miles. I don't commute, so I choose routes that have very low traffic flow. I interact with almost every motorist in one way or another. I will happily do things that actually help motorists and do things that have the appearance of being cooperative too.

One day I was riding on a rural road in south MS. I was riding about 2 feet off the fog line. I heard a vehicle coming from up behind. I gave a quick glance to let the driver know I was aware of their presence. A truck with two 18-20 year old males came up beside me, slowed and the passenger yelled something. He didn't look like he was in a playful mood. I have hearing problems and couldn't understand what he said. Nobody was in the oncoming lane for as far as I could see. I looked at him and said let's race. I was on a long, slight downhill run. I dropped the hammer and gave them about a 1/2 mile full on sprint in which I topped 40MPH. When I was close to spent, I looked over and said "I'm done bro" with an exhausted smile on my face. He leaned out extended his hand and I gave him five.

Unless someone is an absolute ass or I have serious misgivings about my safety, I am always looking for ways to cooperate and to help people see me as a human.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #4140
ozmoses
Ride On

Quote:

If everyone (cyclists, automobile drivers, motorcyclists) were to take a step back and look at all road-related interactions like this, it would be a much less stressful experience to go out and have fun on the road.

Egg-zackly.