ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #4216
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer
 
rxcrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: N Ridgeville OH
Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
(edit: where I ride it's completely legal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk)
good edit - just eliminated a 10 post "conversation"

There isn't anything in your sidewalk law stating whether the dog or the the cyclist should be the one to yield is there?

Any who, next time you encounter her, just start whistling to the dogs after you go by.

And for doing what you could to allow the smooth flow of motorized traffic.
__________________
'95+'95+'96 BMW R1100RS/RSL
AMA, OMTA (ohio organization), BRC, BMWMOA

rxcrider screwed with this post 01-21-2014 at 10:44 AM
rxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #4217
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mike Yanagita's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: So. Cal.
Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
There isn't anything in your sidewalk law stating whether the dog or the the cyclist should be the one to yield is there?
For Burbank the only thing that comes close is: "Any person operating a bicycle in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless cycling."

So -- I'm on one side of the sidewalk, riding in a straight line, not taking up any more room than a pedestrian -- it seems to me the idjit that wants the whole sidewalk for her two dogs is the one who should yield. I guess that's what she did, but gave me a face and a mutter like I was the problem.

Anyway, I realize I'm a bit in the minority (especially among the most obnoxious species of rider, the Vehicular Cyclist), but I can't stand impeding traffic unnecessarily, even if it's legal to do so.
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #4218
windmill
Beastly Adventurer
 
windmill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kent, Washington State
Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
good edit - just eliminated a 10 post "conversation"

There isn't anything in your sidewalk law stating whether the dog or the the cyclist should be the one to yield is there?

Any who, next time you encounter her, just start whistling to the dogs after you go by.

And for doing what you could to allow the smooth flow of motorized traffic.
Here in Washington, cyclists may use the sidewalk, but must yield to pedestrians and obey crossing signals.

But keep in mind, the law only determines who must yield, and never grants right-of-way, a pedestrian may not intentionally or by being unable to control a pet, block the way.
__________________
"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #4219
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mike Yanagita's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: So. Cal.
Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
... the law only determines who must yield...
The sidewalk yielding is what's a little fuzzy for me. In what situations would one yield a 6'-wide sidewalk to someone else? If they're grotesquely obese and need the whole thing? If they're drunk and weaving? If they're this guy?

(edit: looking at Burbank code again, the only yielding that's required is by skateboarders. They got it tough.)

Mike Yanagita screwed with this post 01-21-2014 at 11:30 AM
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #4220
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
it seems to me the idjit that wants the whole sidewalk for her two dogs is the one who should yield. I guess that's what she did, but gave me a face and a mutter like I was the problem.
I had the same thing happen to me while I was walking along a new 15' wide trail in town. I'm approaching a Lady with dog on one of those retractable leashes. They are coming towards me. I am all the way against my edge of pavement. She is all the way against the other edge of pavement.
Instead of releasing the button to keep the dog close to her she lets the dog go all the way over to my side on the trail to where I have to either stop and let them proceed, leave the trail or try jumping over the leash.

Thanks!
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #4221
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer
 
rxcrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: N Ridgeville OH
Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I had the same thing happen to me while I was walking along a new 15' wide trail in town. I'm approaching a Lady with dog on one of those retractable leashes. They are coming towards me. I am all the way against my edge of pavement. She is all the way against the other edge of pavement.
Instead of releasing the button to keep the dog close to her she lets the dog go all the way over to my side on the trail to where I have to either stop and let them proceed, leave the trail or try jumping over the leash.

Thanks!
You and Gummee! live in one bass ackwards place. The walking trails are wider than the road lanes. No wonder you have problems letting cars pass.
__________________
'95+'95+'96 BMW R1100RS/RSL
AMA, OMTA (ohio organization), BRC, BMWMOA
rxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #4222
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,465
I'm still not clear why this was been such a long thread. The first four responses were fairly accurate.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #4223
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Chasing my tail
Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I'm still not clear why this was been such a long thread. The first four responses were fairly accurate.
The nature of human nature is to change the nature of the minority to suit that of the majority.

In simpler terms... opinions are like assholes.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #4224
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
You and Gummee! live in one bass ackwards place. The walking trails are wider than the road lanes. No wonder you have problems letting cars pass.
HE lives in an ass-backwards place. Me? I *used* to, but its since become suburbia

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #4225
Warin
Retired
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
The nature of human nature is to change the nature of the minority to suit that of the majority.
Reasonable men adapt to the world around them; unreasonable men make the world adapt to them. The world is changed by unreasonable men. Edwin Louis Cole

As progress is made by change .. it is the 'unreasonable' that make progress happen?
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #4226
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
You and Gummee! live in one bass ackwards place. The walking trails are wider than the road lanes. No wonder you have problems letting cars pass.
Hey, could be worse. We could live in Ohio.
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #4227
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Hey, could be worse. We could live in Ohio.
True. At least we have curvy roads around here. Mountains (such as they are) too!

Goat roped a buddy into riding off-road in 'the biggest snowstorm evar!' tonite. Had a good time despite it being very slippy under the 6" of snow. Its WORK trying to ride thru 6" of snow! I think he had the right idea: he rod his CX bike while I was on my mtn bike. He had much better traction than I did.

I suspect I'm going to be on the trainer for the next few days.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #4228
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Chasing my tail
Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Reasonable men adapt to the world around them; unreasonable men make the world adapt to them. The world is changed by unreasonable men. Edwin Louis Cole

As progress is made by change .. it is the 'unreasonable' that make progress happen?
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments. Here was a machine of precision and balance for the convenience of man. And (unlike subsequent inventions for man's convenience) the more he used it, the fitter his body became. Here, for once, was a product of man's brain that was entirely beneficial to those who used it, and of no harm or irritation to others. Progress should have stopped when man invented the bicycle.

~Elizabeth West, Hovel in the Hills
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:02 AM   #4229
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,555
from BikeRadar: London’s 32 boroughs will share £17.3m to build more cycle parking, provide cycle training and awareness courses for motorists and HGV drivers.

London Mayor Boris Johnson and Transport for London (TfL) announced the three-year funding programme today which claims the money will put up to 15,000 motorists through Safer Urban Driver courses and deliver 5,000 extra bike spaces in the boroughs of Kensington & Chelsea and Waltham Forest.
Johnson said: “As part of my Cycling Vision, we are engaging in a vast £1billion programme of improvements to transform cycling in London. Making some of this money available directly to the boroughs will help ensure that cycling developments reach communities across the capital."


In December last year a consultation was launched on a grid of cycle lanes across central London that is part of Johnson’s bid to ‘de-lycrafy’ cycling in the capital.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #4230
Telemarktumalo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Telemarktumalo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Bend, Oregon
Oddometer: 191
“Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” H.G. Wells
Telemarktumalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014