Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #4216
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
(edit: where I ride it's completely legal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk)
good edit - just eliminated a 10 post "conversation"

There isn't anything in your sidewalk law stating whether the dog or the the cyclist should be the one to yield is there?

Any who, next time you encounter her, just start whistling to the dogs after you go by.

And for doing what you could to allow the smooth flow of motorized traffic.

rxcrider screwed with this post 01-21-2014 at 10:44 AM
rxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #4217
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
There isn't anything in your sidewalk law stating whether the dog or the the cyclist should be the one to yield is there?
For Burbank the only thing that comes close is: "Any person operating a bicycle in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless cycling."

So -- I'm on one side of the sidewalk, riding in a straight line, not taking up any more room than a pedestrian -- it seems to me the idjit that wants the whole sidewalk for her two dogs is the one who should yield. I guess that's what she did, but gave me a face and a mutter like I was the problem.

Anyway, I realize I'm a bit in the minority (especially among the most obnoxious species of rider, the Vehicular Cyclist), but I can't stand impeding traffic unnecessarily, even if it's legal to do so.
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #4218
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
good edit - just eliminated a 10 post "conversation"

Any who, next time you encounter her, just start whistling to the dogs after you go by.

And for doing what you could to allow the smooth flow of motorized traffic.
Here in Washington, cyclists may use the sidewalk, but must yield to pedestrians and obey crossing signals.

But keep in mind, the law only determines who must yield, and never grants right-of-way, a pedestrian may not intentionally or by being unable to control a pet, block the way.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #4219
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
... the law only determines who must yield...
The sidewalk yielding is what's a little fuzzy for me. In what situations would one yield a 6'-wide sidewalk to someone else? If they're grotesquely obese and need the whole thing? If they're drunk and weaving? If they're this guy?

(edit: looking at Burbank code again, the only yielding that's required is by skateboarders. They got it tough.)

Mike Yanagita screwed with this post 01-21-2014 at 11:30 AM
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #4220
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
it seems to me the idjit that wants the whole sidewalk for her two dogs is the one who should yield. I guess that's what she did, but gave me a face and a mutter like I was the problem.
I had the same thing happen to me while I was walking along a new 15' wide trail in town. I'm approaching a Lady with dog on one of those retractable leashes. They are coming towards me. I am all the way against my edge of pavement. She is all the way against the other edge of pavement.
Instead of releasing the button to keep the dog close to her she lets the dog go all the way over to my side on the trail to where I have to either stop and let them proceed, leave the trail or try jumping over the leash.

Thanks!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #4221
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I had the same thing happen to me while I was walking along a new 15' wide trail in town. I'm approaching a Lady with dog on one of those retractable leashes. They are coming towards me. I am all the way against my edge of pavement. She is all the way against the other edge of pavement.
Instead of releasing the button to keep the dog close to her she lets the dog go all the way over to my side on the trail to where I have to either stop and let them proceed, leave the trail or try jumping over the leash.

Thanks!
You and Gummee! live in one bass ackwards place. The walking trails are wider than the road lanes. No wonder you have problems letting cars pass.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #4222
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,465
I'm still not clear why this was been such a long thread. The first four responses were fairly accurate.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #4223
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I'm still not clear why this was been such a long thread. The first four responses were fairly accurate.
The nature of human nature is to change the nature of the minority to suit that of the majority.

In simpler terms... opinions are like assholes.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #4224
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,555
Quote:
You and Gummee! live in one bass ackwards place. The walking trails are wider than the road lanes. No wonder you have problems letting cars pass.
HE lives in an ass-backwards place. Me? I *used* to, but its since become suburbia

M
Old 01-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #4225
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
The nature of human nature is to change the nature of the minority to suit that of the majority.
Reasonable men adapt to the world around them; unreasonable men make the world adapt to them. The world is changed by unreasonable men. Edwin Louis Cole

As progress is made by change .. it is the 'unreasonable' that make progress happen?
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #4226
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,585
Quote:
Hey, could be worse. We could live in Ohio.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #4227
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Hey, could be worse. We could live in Ohio.
True. At least we have curvy roads around here. Mountains (such as they are) too!

Goat roped a buddy into riding off-road in 'the biggest snowstorm evar!' tonite. Had a good time despite it being very slippy under the 6" of snow. Its WORK trying to ride thru 6" of snow! I think he had the right idea: he rod his CX bike while I was on my mtn bike. He had much better traction than I did.

I suspect I'm going to be on the trainer for the next few days.

M
Old 01-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #4228
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Reasonable men adapt to the world around them; unreasonable men make the world adapt to them. The world is changed by unreasonable men. Edwin Louis Cole

As progress is made by change .. it is the 'unreasonable' that make progress happen?
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments. Here was a machine of precision and balance for the convenience of man. And (unlike subsequent inventions for man's convenience) the more he used it, the fitter his body became. Here, for once, was a product of man's brain that was entirely beneficial to those who used it, and of no harm or irritation to others. Progress should have stopped when man invented the bicycle.

~Elizabeth West, Hovel in the Hills
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:02 AM   #4229
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

from BikeRadar: London’s 32 boroughs will share £17.3m to build more cycle parking, provide cycle training and awareness courses for motorists and HGV drivers.

London Mayor Boris Johnson and Transport for London (TfL) announced the three-year funding programme today which claims the money will put up to 15,000 motorists through Safer Urban Driver courses and deliver 5,000 extra bike spaces in the boroughs of Kensington & Chelsea and Waltham Forest.
Johnson said: “As part of my Cycling Vision, we are engaging in a vast £1billion programme of improvements to transform cycling in London. Making some of this money available directly to the boroughs will help ensure that cycling developments reach communities across the capital."

In December last year a consultation was launched on a grid of cycle lanes across central London that is part of Johnson’s bid to ‘de-lycrafy’ cycling in the capital.

M
Old 01-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #4230
Telemarktumalo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
“Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” H.G. Wells
Telemarktumalo is offline   Reply With Quote