k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
This guy is quite the piece of work…

full story here;
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...er-no-bicycles
He's probably correct though - sooner or later, everyone gets hit but, that's no reason to tell them to stop that particular activity or lessen the efforts to make the streets safer to everyone.

Apply his logic to cars - we're still building them and we're still paving streets.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:08 AM   #4292
Telemarktumalo
Coffee Achiever

Oddometer: 216
Barraga must be an idiot. It is this type of small minded thinking that should get him canned at the next election.
Telemarktumalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:07 PM   #4293
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 478
In the Netherlands, 50cc scooters often use the cycling lanes. They are well behaved. Larger motorcycles that can keep up with traffic use the roadways. I've taken my Brompton folding bike over there and have used Dutch bikes, and it's a very enjoyable experience. The mixed use is no problem, because everyone follows the rules.

Here in the Seattle area, we could get some of this benefit by letting scooters use dedicated trails like the Burke-Gilman, the I-90 trail, etc. We'd have to act like the Dutch and enforce speed limits for all 2-wheeled vehicles to 15 mph, because it's not the mix of vehicles that's dangerous, it's the mix of speeds. Eventually we should build dedicated trails for low-speed two-wheeled vehicles.

I'd like to see the Iron Horse state-wide rail-trail opened up to motorcycles and ATVs with the same 15 mph speed limit.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:10 AM   #4294
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 111
"The mixed use is no problem because everyone follows the rules". The problem is when they don't. Never happen in the land of "it's all about me".

I will always have a problem with asshats that purposely obstruct traffic by going 3mph, in a pack, occupying the entire lane on a road with a posted 55 mph speed limit when there are clearly marked bike lanes, and alternative LSV routes.

I'm not going to run over anyone. I followed a small group of 8 last weekend on a narrow 2 lane road for over a mile before they moved over to let me pass. The problem is the guy 9 cars back who is an even worse asshat that decides to pass 8 cars and a pack of bike riders that are in the way.

I have the same problem with Granny Bluehair, Soccer Mom, Stupid texting teens, claptrap cars, and the seats leaned all the way back, one eyeball over the dash ass that thinks it cool to profile down the road at 10mph so you can have the time to fully appreciate his 150 decibel sound system blast out obscenities.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #4295
skidxr
Excuses

Oddometer: 372
Saw this on another thread. I don't know what the guy on the bike was so pissed about?

skidxr screwed with this post 02-16-2014 at 09:35 AM
skidxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #4296
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidxr View Post
Saw this on another thread. I don't know what the guy on the bike was so pissed about?

Someone else mentioned this set up as something they do in Europe(?). If you notice, there is a line at traffic lights for cars(where the car stopped at the site of the altercation) and then there is a line up front for bicyclists to stop at(along with a bicycle symbol). The guy in the car was in the wrong for encroaching into the bicycle area.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #4297
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post

I'd like to see the Iron Horse state-wide rail-trail opened up to motorcycles and ATVs with the same 15 mph speed limit.
That would end badly.
There are sections of rail-trail here for walking and biking that are so torn up from quads that you can't use them.

No enforcement, no one cares except the ones who want to use the trails the way they were meant to be used.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #4298
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 111
Went for a nice long ride today. A bit nippy at 38 degrees to begin with, but warmed up to 70, what a gloriously beautiful day. We encountered tons of cyclists. Every one of them played by the rules and there was absolutely no drama.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:59 PM   #4299
skidxr
Excuses

Oddometer: 372
+1
Old 02-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #4300
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1075 View Post
Went for a nice long ride today. A bit nippy at 38 degrees to begin with, but warmed up to 70, what a gloriously beautiful day. We encountered tons of cyclists. Every one of them played by the rules and there was absolutely no drama.

I did 102 miles this weekend on two different cycling rides. No issues except for one car who pulled out in front of me from an apartment parking lot. I jabbed the brakes to keep from hitting the convertible. Shit-for-brains.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #4301
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Someone else mentioned this set up as something they do in Europe(?). If you notice, there is a line at traffic lights for cars(where the car stopped at the site of the altercation) and then there is a line up front for bicyclists to stop at(along with a bicycle symbol). The guy in the car was in the wrong for encroaching into the bicycle area.
https://www.seattle.gov/transportation/bikeboxes.htm
What the driver did was illegal, but it also shows why its illegal for individuals take it upon themselves to "enforce" or "educate".

Took the bike I'm building on its maiden shakedown and adjustment run.
Only about 8 miles, yeah, I'm out of shape.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #4302
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Took the bike I'm building on its maiden shakedown and adjustment run.
Only about 8 miles, yeah, I'm out of shape.
Do you have any particular goals in mind? Be safe and have fun!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #4303
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Do you have any particular goals in mind? Be safe and have fun!
Putting together a Flying Pigeon with a 3 speed hub and other upgrades. Will be using it for relaxed casual riding and exercise on our extensive trail system. Topography rules out commuting, and too far out in the sticks for any practical utility riding.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #4304
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,699
Did not ride today.

Poo.

Raged against the machine all morning, then finally went to Verizon, traded the phone off.
iPhone5 now. Ordered the case and sensor stuff from Wahoo Fitness.

Figured out the trick to easy upgrade. Reset the phone at home, then go to the provider. Walk out and restore the pphone yourself at home. Mucho easier.
I let the used car salesman/phone guy at Verizon load my contacts. I ended up having to re-do it all once I got home anyway to get all my crap back on the phone where I wanted.

Almost. Looking forward to playing with the Wahoo stuff when it shows up too.
I'll get in and out of work early tomorrow, so I'll get a little ride in a few evenings this week.
Baby steps.
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:18 AM   #4305
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1075 View Post
"The mixed use is no problem because everyone follows the rules". The problem is when they don't. Never happen in the land of "it's all about me".

I will always have a problem with asshats that purposely obstruct traffic by going 3mph, in a pack, occupying the entire lane on a road with a posted 55 mph speed limit when there are clearly marked bike lanes, and alternative LSV routes.

I'm not going to run over anyone. I followed a small group of 8 last weekend on a narrow 2 lane road for over a mile before they moved over to let me pass. The problem is the guy 9 cars back who is an even worse asshat that decides to pass 8 cars and a pack of bike riders that are in the way.

I have the same problem with Granny Bluehair, Soccer Mom, Stupid texting teens, claptrap cars, and the seats leaned all the way back, one eyeball over the dash ass that thinks it cool to profile down the road at 10mph so you can have the time to fully appreciate his 150 decibel sound system blast out obscenities.
Are you saying a guy 9 cars back managed to pass but you couldn't? If so, i understand where the problem is.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote