Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 05:20 AM   #4306
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Do you have any particular goals in mind? Be safe and have fun!
That pretty well described my cycling goals.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:42 AM   #4307
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,846

Yesterday's ride. I'm on the white/orange bike being filmed by a buddy. I 'save the day' at 4:45 as the car behind us didn't see what happened.

M
Old 02-17-2014, 06:06 AM   #4308
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

President's Day off. It's warm but a bit windy. Should be a great day for a ride on the levee path. I'll put the bike in the back of the truck and drive the three miles to the trailhead. At which point I have miles upon miles of smooth asphalt with no motor vehicles. Once I get away from town a bit, I'll have the path almost all to myself. I miss riding the lightly used, gently rolling backroads of Harrison county MS, but I am thankful for the levee paths. Without them, there would be no good road riding within 20 miles.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:19 AM   #4309
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,565
I had an enlightening and informative conversation with an older couple yesterday.

I'm sitting at the bar in a favorite watering hole post-ride when an older couple sits next to me. It's their first time at the place so I casually make a few recommendations and they are quickly enamored with the beer selection and menu items.

As our conversation progresses, they ask what I've been up to and the focus turns to bicycles. Of course they steer the conversation to riding on the road and all the inherent dangers/risks we take. I answer every question they pose with as much humor and factual information as possible. They were extremely appreciative of all the information I gave freely and they were both very shocked/unaware that bicycles in NC are treated as equals to all other vehicles on the road. They thanked me, wished me safe riding and repeatedly said they will tell their friends about their new cycling rights information.

All in all, a very rewarding lunch and proof that beer is the best mediator in a conversation.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #4310
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I had an enlightening and informative conversation with an older couple yesterday.

I'm sitting at the bar in a favorite watering hole post-ride when an older couple sits next to me. It's their first time at the place so I casually make a few recommendations and they are quickly enamored with the beer selection and menu items.

As our conversation progresses, they ask what I've been up to and the focus turns to bicycles. Of course they steer the conversation to riding on the road and all the inherent dangers/risks we take. I answer every question they pose with as much humor and factual information as possible. They were extremely appreciative of all the information I gave freely and they were both very shocked/unaware that bicycles in NC are treated as equals to all other vehicles on the road. They thanked me, wished me safe riding and repeatedly said they will tell their friends about their new cycling rights information.

All in all, a very rewarding lunch and proof that beer is the best mediator in a conversation.
I wish every motorist could have the benefit of good conversation with a conscientious cyclist. You can build so many bridges and so much good will in such a short period of time. Most importantly, to all but the truly sociopathic, it humanizes the experience. They come to see you as a real person, with a real smile and real feelings, not this nameless, faceless, unfeeling, irritating object.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:46 AM   #4311
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,822
Ahh, fuck that. I was coming home at dusk a few days ago. Four-lane, heavily traveled road with a beautiful, well-maintained bike lane. I passed two riders side-by-side. One was in the bike lane. The other was three feet out in the car lane, obstructing traffic. Not passing. Not switching leads. Just cruising along, chatting. At dusk. On a heavily-traveled four-lane road. He's gonna get himself killed, and his fellow cyclists will be up in arms.

I like bikes. I ride bikes. But godammit, some of these people just go out of thir way to be stupid.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #4312
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,565
You can't fix stupid... you just have to hope that natural selection takes care of those and that they stay as outliers to the bell curve.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #4313
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Ahh, fuck that. I was coming home at dusk a few days ago. Four-lane, heavily traveled road with a beautiful, well-maintained bike lane. I passed two riders side-by-side. One was in the bike lane. The other was three feet out in the car lane, obstructing traffic. Not passing. Not switching leads. Just cruising along, chatting. At dusk. On a heavily-traveled four-lane road. He's gonna get himself killed, and his fellow cyclists will be up in arms.

I like bikes. I ride bikes. But godammit, some of these people just go out of thir way to be stupid.
I truly enjoy riding side by side BSing with someone, but there's a time and place for it. Dusk on a busy 4 lane is neither.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #4314
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Are you saying a guy 9 cars back managed to pass but you couldn't? If so, i understand where the problem is.
It is Illegal to pass more that one vehicle at a time. And STUPID to do so in situations where field of view and sight distance is limited by blind curves or hills.

I was pointing out the stupidity of drivers who attempt such behavior. Darwin award candidates.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #4315
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
I wish every motorist could have the benefit of good conversation with a conscientious cyclist. You can build so many bridges and so much good will in such a short period of time. Most importantly, to all but the truly sociopathic, it humanizes the experience. They come to see you as a real person, with a real smile and real feelings, not this nameless, faceless, unfeeling, irritating object.
That would be great if that could be extended to all road users for all types of vehicles and pedestrians, everybody would be better off.

I've been spending a good amount of time on cycling forums and it's really discouraging, there is a very outspoken, socially retarded minority that seems determined to make everybody hate cyclists. Flaunting disobedience towards traffic laws and signals, refusing to use any dedicated bicycle infrastructure, intentionally interfering with other users, all while proclaiming to be advocates for all cyclists .Fortunately they represent an insignificant number of cyclists, unfortunately their behavior is equated to all cyclists by many folks.

I have been really surprised how much animosity there is between some groups in cycling, it makes ADV look tame by comparison.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:18 AM   #4316
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
That would be great if that could be extended to all road users for all types of vehicles and pedestrians, everybody would be better off.

I've been spending a good amount of time on cycling forums and it's really discouraging, there is a very outspoken, socially retarded minority that seems determined to make everybody hate cyclists. Flaunting disobedience towards traffic laws and signals, refusing to use any dedicated bicycle infrastructure, intentionally interfering with other users, all while proclaiming to be advocates for all cyclists .Fortunately they represent an insignificant number of cyclists, unfortunately their behavior is equated to all cyclists by many folks.

I have been really surprised how much animosity there is between some groups in cycling, it makes ADV look tame by comparison.
Got any links? Sounds like fun.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #4317
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:

If you have been reading the advocacy and safety forum on bikeforums.net then you know how many militant types there are among us. The very people who thump their chest as ardent advocates are the very ones who are pissing motorists off the most.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #4318
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If you have been reading the advocacy and safety forum on bikeforums.net then you know how many militant types there are among us. The very people who thump their chest as ardent advocates are the very ones who are pissing motorists off the most.
Bingo, you got it.
There are those there who consider cycling a holy crusade or war against terrorism, and have no concept of reality.
Their level of hate and contempt for society is disturbing.

Its a real shame that they have become the face of cycling to many when they are such a small minority.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #4319
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Bingo, you got it.
There are those there who consider cycling a holy crusade or war against terrorism, and have no concept of reality.
Their level of hate and contempt for society is disturbing.

Its a real shame that they have become the face of cycling to many when they are such a small minority.
They really aren't the face of cycling. They are the face of obstinance on a forum sub forum. The people that I know that are doing true advocacy work are nothing like them. Most of the people I know ride like I do. I am very accommodating of motorists. It's really too easy to peacefully coexist with other road users...at least it is in the places I have ridden. On my average bike ride I have NO unpleasant encounters. On my average drive I am subjected to all manner of dumb, disrespectful, dangerous, and distracted drivers.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #4320
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
They really aren't the face of cycling. They are the face of obstinance on a forum sub forum. The people that I know that are doing true advocacy work are nothing like them. Most of the people I know ride like I do. I am very accommodating of motorists. It's really too easy to peacefully coexist with other road users...at least it is in the places I have ridden. On my average bike ride I have NO unpleasant encounters. On my average drive I am subjected to all manner of dumb, disrespectful, dangerous, and distracted drivers.
I expressed myself poorly, what I meant was they are the ones who cause much of the anti cycling sentiments even though they don't represent the majority, simply because they are the ones who stand out.
My personal experiences and observations are much like yours.