ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #4321
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded
 
Dranrab Luap's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I expressed myself poorly, what I meant was they are the ones who cause much of the anti cycling sentiments even though they don't represent the majority, simply because they are the ones who stand out.
My personal experiences and observations are much like yours.
Yes sir.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #4322
OldPete
Be aware
 
OldPete's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Oddometer: 3,982
I read parts of this thread every once in awhile.
You roadies act like you never do a wrong and every car is out to get you.

I'm 66, 20# over weight, ride atleast 100 miles a week averaging 15mph on a MTB.
It is rare for me to have an issue with a car, roadies however , once the group exceeds 4 all bets are off.
Roadies here in SoCal are the most self centered, narcissistic assclowns on the road or MUP.
Seems like every rider they catch is "the break away group." What a bunch of Walter Mittys!

Roadies as solo riders or in groups of two or three seem to keep their fantasies incheck however and are much safer riders.

End rant...
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #4323
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded
 
Dranrab Luap's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
I read parts of this thread every once in awhile.
You roadies act like you never do a wrong and every car is out to get you.

I'm 66, 20# over weight, ride atleast 100 miles a week averaging 15mph on a MTB.
It is rare for me to have an issue with a car, roadies however , once the group exceeds 4 all bets are off.
Roadies here in SoCal are the most self centered, narcissistic assclowns on the road or MUP.
Seems like every rider they catch is "the break away group." What a bunch of Walter Mittys!

Roadies as solo riders or in groups of two or three seem to keep their fantasies incheck however and are much safer riders.

End rant...
I am sorry, I missed the start. Can you link it?
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #4324
OldPete
Be aware
 
OldPete's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Oddometer: 3,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
I am sorry, I missed the start. Can you link it?
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #4325
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded
 
Dranrab Luap's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
I am glad you got that. i don't use smilies, thinking my humor is self evident.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #4326
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded
 
Dranrab Luap's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Got any links? Sounds like fun.
http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php

The advocacy and safety forum. Please let me know when you get started. Many of the posters and the mods are humorless.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #4327
Homey
Studly Adventurer
 
Homey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: California Central Coast
Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
I read parts of this thread every once in awhile.
You roadies act like you never do a wrong and every car is out to get you.

I'm 66, 20# over weight, ride at least 100 miles a week averaging 15mph on a MTB.
It is rare for me to have an issue with a car, roadies however , once the group exceeds 4 all bets are off....
I'm a roadie, I suppose since I ride on the road and I can't remember that last time I had an issue with a car but I have had issues with MTB's while riiding my dirt bike on single track. I could say the same thing you did about MTB'ers. It's really easy to generalize...
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #4328
khager
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Granbury, TX
Oddometer: 781
You know what I like about bikes?

When your in heavy traffic on a nice two lane country road, and a bike or two pulls out in your path from a side road, and I can pass them staying in the lane, and all the cages behind me are now stuck behind the bike.

Then I have the road to myself for the next several miles.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #4329
Homey
Studly Adventurer
 
Homey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: California Central Coast
Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
You know what I like about bikes?

When your in heavy traffic on a nice two lane country road, and a bike or two pulls out in your path from a side road, and I can pass them staying in the lane, and all the cages behind me are now stuck behind the bike.

Then I have the road to myself for the next several miles.
There you go, positive thinking!
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:31 PM   #4330
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,671
The great inventions of cycling 1850s

The cloak of invisibility
The first cyclist’s cloak of invisibility was provided free with the second bicycle ever made. After everyone had whooped and hollered with delight at the incredible fairground skills of the first rider, by the time the second one appeared, the united coachmen and cart drivers of the world just said, “Sorry mate, I didn’t see you,” and helped the cyclist out of the ditch.
There are debates about how exactly a cloak of invisibility works. Some feel there is a metaphorical basis, and that it’s rooted in the antique assumption that cyclists are too poor to afford a motor vehicle and are hence worthless.
Some claim they work simply because a cyclist is not the same shape as a car. The truth of the matter is that they seem to work by magic, since it’s possible for a non-cyclist to look right at a cyclist in clear daylight, for several seconds, and never have a clue he’s there.
A cloak of invisibility works at its best when you ride in a responsible manner and obey the Highway Code. A cyclist doing this will be able to evade detection by even the most sophisticated modern devices, such as BMWs.
They even work for cyclists in large numbers. At most red traffic lights in London during the rush hour there are big groups of bike riders waiting patiently, usually with bike lights, helmets and bright yellow vests. These law-abiding groups are entirely invisible to non-cyclists.
A single rider jumping the light, on the other hand, can be seen from space.


from cyclingweekly





M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #4331
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,671
All y'all in WA should like this: Cyclists got motos included on the new vulnerable user law

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #4332
windmill
Beastly Adventurer
 
windmill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kent, Washington State
Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
All y'all in WA should like this: Cyclists got motos included on the new vulnerable user law

M
Mixed feelings on it,

As a P&D driver, motorcyclist, and cyclist its reassuring there is more accountability for bad drivers as I'm at greater risk than most people, but the company I drive for has instated a policy of mandatory termination for striking a pedestrian or cyclist to mitigate their liability because of it.
Yes, Professional drivers definitely should be held to a higher standard, but keep in mind we service a large number of industrial areas which are often populated with drunks, tweakers, and mentally disturbed people who do incredibly stupid, unpredictable things.
__________________
"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #4333
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Mixed feelings on it,

As a P&D driver, motorcyclist, and cyclist its reassuring there is more accountability for bad drivers as I'm at greater risk than most people, but the company I drive for has instated a policy of mandatory termination for striking a pedestrian or cyclist to mitigate their liability because of it.
Yes, Professional drivers definitely should be held to a higher standard, but keep in mind we service a large number of industrial areas which are often populated with drunks, tweakers, and mentally disturbed people who do incredibly stupid, unpredictable things.
Mandatory isn't a word I like. For anything, but especially not on a job where you can't control the variables.

Personally, I'm really tired of the 'I didn't see him' excuse and the resulting slap on the wrist when someone hits a cyclist (powered or pushie) and something needed to be done. This is a step in the right direction. Let's see if its enforced.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:54 AM   #4334
Center-stand
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 397
..

Sadly, that cloak of invisibility seems to block the view from the inside as well. How else could you explain a cyclist suddenly moving out from the edge of the pavement into the middle of a lane in front of an overtaking vehicle and then staying there for awhile seemingly oblivious to the line piling up behind him.

..
Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 AM   #4335
windmill
Beastly Adventurer
 
windmill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kent, Washington State
Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Mandatory isn't a word I like. For anything, but especially not on a job where you can't control the variables.

Personally, I'm really tired of the 'I didn't see him' excuse and the resulting slap on the wrist when someone hits a cyclist (powered or pushie) and something needed to be done. This is a step in the right direction. Let's see if its enforced.

M
I agree, "mandatory" and "zero tolerance" seem to create more issues then they solve.

I'm not optimistic, as there is a deep seated contempt for riders and cyclists because of the outrageous antisocial behavior of a few, and some people on both sides having an inability to correlate the relationship of cause, effect, and consequence.
__________________
"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014