Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #4426
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,622
I honestly think there is a rational disconnect when vehicle drivers see a cyclist on the road. They no longer correlate that person as a human being and, instead, simply see another "obstacle" blocking their progress. It's a disturbing thought that we are not valued as equally as cars or trucks in the minds of non-cyclists. Bicycles were used as primary transportation devices long before the internal combustion engine arrived on the scene and NO, I do not accept that the internal combustion vehicle is an evolutionary absolute that should relegate a human-powered bicycle to green ways and rail trails. I enjoy my motorcycle and truck for their uses when I need them and appreciate that they can haul stuff when necessary but my bicycles are way more efficient and cheaper to operate over the long term.

I'll just leave these here...

Quote:
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments. Here was a machine of precision and balance for the convenience of man. And (unlike subsequent inventions for man's convenience) the more he used it, the fitter his body became. Here, for once, was a product of man's brain that was entirely beneficial to those who used it, and of no harm or irritation to others. Progress should have stopped when man invented the bicycle. ~ Elizabeth West
Quote:
Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race. ~ H.G. Wells
Quote:
When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking. ~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Quote:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. ~ Ernest Hemingway
Old 06-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #4427
Telemarktumalo
Coffee Achiever

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
...Edit: I'm not referring to all drivers as borderline sociopathic, of course, but anyone who's pedaled enough miles on public roads knows there's a select few drivers who just can't resist going after cyclists regardless of the reason. Those are the people I'm talking about - the ones whose heads explode just seeing a cyclist, never mind if the cyclist is doing anything wrong or not.
Right On! I think many cyclists feel this way. I live in a fairly "bike friendly" town, and there are lots of cyclists present. Bend has had lots of bike centered events, races and fund-raisers. And yet, there are still those who think that bicycles have no place on the road. In spite of the laws, and lots of history, they fight their battle, one cage vs. bicycle at a time. I've been buzzed, crowded, yelled at, and even had Budweiser bottles hurled at me. I've been hit twice on purpose (once in Tucson, once in Champaign, IL). Both of those events were at stops, where the drivers behind me thought I had no "business" being on the road. I think where Mr. Hanson misinterprets the law, is that he assumes that if a bicycle cannot travel at the posted speed limit, then they are obstructing traffic and should be ticketed. Or they should pull over and let all traffic clear. This is clearly incorrect. What this is really about is the average Joe Six-Pack doesn't want to alter his momentum by using his brakes or steering wheel, to navigate around cyclists. Plus, there are those who cannot stand the fact that cyclists seem to be enjoying themselves.
Telemarktumalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #4428
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,653
I wish I'd been on a bicycle yesterday on my way home from work. I have a 38 mile commute and traffic was so shitty yesterday thanks to all the construction, a couple of car crashes, and a Tigers game ending at 4:30, that I could have gotten home faster on a bicycle than I did by car. Plus, I'd have been a lot less stressed out and pissed off.

I'm moving to a new job next month that is only 3 miles from my home. I can't wait to ride to work every day.

Plus, I'm getting fat so I could use a few minutes of cardio on the way to and from work every day again...
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #4429
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHanson View Post
I would still be an inconsiderate, self-absorbed asshat.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in the shared road to recovery.

Quote:
This is how I parked this morning and what is typical of most mornings.

I suppose the two bikes that are parked on the yellow lines in this picture have also lost all credibility with you as well even if we are parking 4 bikes in two spaces in order to free up two other spaces for cars.
In the other pic, maybe if you had taken a space to begin with the BMW wouldn't have taken a legitimate space. I was going to say, as long as you take a "space", if other riders come in and park on the lines it's no issue. But, what if the motorcycle in the space leaves, and leaves the other on the paint marks or over where you parked in the other pic? It then screws up parking for another car and makes it look like the motorcyclist who left it there is rather stupid.
A much better alternative would be to...park inside the spaces provided instead of making up some parking scheme only you hold the answer key to.

bwalsh screwed with this post 06-06-2014 at 09:02 AM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #4430
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I honestly think there is a rational disconnect when vehicle drivers see a cyclist on the road. They no longer correlate that person as a human being and, instead, simply see another "obstacle" blocking their progress. It's a disturbing thought that we are not valued as equally as cars or trucks in the minds of non-cyclists.
I'd argue that your second sentence is completely accurate and contradicts the third—they do value cars, trucks and cyclists equally—they're all annoying obstacles to be dealt with as quickly as possible, and no consideration is given to the human being on the bike (whether powered by pedals or motor) or in the cage.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #4431
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Good counterpoint. Those that see impediments are going to see them regardless of the conveyance medium.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #4432
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,884
Like....this guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post

Edit: I'm not referring to all drivers as borderline sociopathic, of course, but anyone who's pedaled enough miles on public roads knows there's a select few drivers who just can't resist going after cyclists regardless of the reason. Those are the people I'm talking about - the ones whose heads explode just seeing a cyclist, nevermind if the cyclist is doing anything wrong or not.
Link

You mean, this guy?

Watch the video - how long was he inconvenienced?

Of course, just before he was arrested, his tone changed significantly:

“I want to publicly apologize to all people that I have offended over those absolute stupid videos that I posted … anybody who knows me knows that would never ever intentionally hurt anyone,” Maddox wrote. “I am truly sorry for anyone I may have offended … and please everyone share the road and be very aware of bicycle riders everywhere.”

If you find the southern dialect difficult to understand, this one has closed captioning.

I didn't need this - I am fluent in "Redneckese".

k7 screwed with this post 06-06-2014 at 09:30 AM
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #4433
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,964
Quote:
This is a thread about bicycles on the roads which might explain why a few people are talking about ... bicycles on the roads acting as rolling roadblocks.
Sorry. I was talking about life.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #4434
Jamesx2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Maybe its been said but when Im on my bicycle and you are in a car dont hang out behind me being scared to pass. Get on with it and go!
Old 06-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #4435
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post

You mean, this guy?

Watch the video - how long was he inconvenienced?

Of course, just before he was arrested, his tone changed significantly:

“I want to publicly apologize to all people that I have offended over those absolute stupid videos that I posted … anybody who knows me knows that would never ever intentionally hurt anyone,” Maddox wrote. “I am truly sorry for anyone I may have offended … and please everyone share the road and be very aware of bicycle riders everywhere.”

If you find the southern dialect difficult to understand, this one has closed captioning.

I didn't need this - I am fluent in "Redneckese".
Did I miss something? Did he hit a bicyclist, and the video is being used as evidence of premeditation?

Other than his asinine comments, it all seemed to flow smoothly in the videos. Nobody was inconvenienced (unless he was blowing diesel smoke on the riders...couldn't tell in the video).

By the way, I like those flashing tail lights on bicycles. It really helps me spot them early enough to plan a safe pass.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #4436
Jamesx2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
By the way, I like those flashing tail lights on bicycles. It really helps me spot them early enough to plan a safe pass.
I keep one hooked to the back of my back pack when riding the DR to work
Old 06-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #4437
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Did I miss something? Did he hit a bicyclist, and the video is being used as evidence of premeditation?

Other than his asinine comments, it all seemed to flow smoothly in the videos. Nobody was inconvenienced (unless he was blowing diesel smoke on the riders...couldn't tell in the video).

He was apparently charged with reckless endangerment. Since I'm not an expert, I google'd it and came up with this from wiki - emphasis added:
Reckless endangerment: A person commits the crime of reckless endangerment if the person recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person. “Reckless” conduct is conduct that exhibits a culpable disregard of foreseeable consequences to others from the act or omission involved. The accused need not intentionally cause a resulting harm. The ultimate question is whether, under all the circumstances, the accused’s conduct was of that heedless nature that made it actually or imminently dangerous to the rights or safety of others.
I only saw one close pass and heard a lot of idiocy - I'd say he's guilty of being recklessly stupid at a minimum.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #4438
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

unfortunately there is no known medical cure for stupidity... :
Old 06-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #4439
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
He was apparently charged with reckless endangerment. Since I'm not an expert, I google'd it and came up with this from wiki - emphasis added:
Reckless endangerment: A person commits the crime of reckless endangerment if the person recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person. “Reckless” conduct is conduct that exhibits a culpable disregard of foreseeable consequences to others from the act or omission involved. The accused need not intentionally cause a resulting harm. The ultimate question is whether, under all the circumstances, the accused’s conduct was of that heedless nature that made it actually or imminently dangerous to the rights or safety of others.
I only saw one close pass and heard a lot of idiocy - I'd say he's guilty of being recklessly stupid at a minimum.
I'd have to believe he is as good a driver as myself in order to believe he's not guilty of reckless endangerment.

Anything but driving safely and prudently, exercising caution while maneuvering a 2+ ton vehicle a couple feet, at best, away from a human is reckless endangerment, until he actually hits him.

I would fault the driver if the cyclist spooked and turning into the truck.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #4440
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
I'd have to believe he is as good a driver as myself in order to believe he's not guilty of reckless endangerment.

Anything but driving safely and prudently, exercising caution while maneuvering a 2+ ton vehicle a couple feet, at best, away from a human is reckless endangerment, until he actually hits him.

I would fault the driver if the cyclist spooked and turning into the truck.
I don't think the threshold requires that an injury actually occur - seems to be a catch-all for stupid behavior to me.

At the end of the day, he's had to hire an attorney which will likely cost him more than a guilty verdict assuming he's had no issues in the past.

At most, he'd have to attend anger mgt classes. Those typically run something like $25 for each (group) session and I'm guessing, he'd have to attend 10 sessions to have the charges dropped.