Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #436
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man View Post
I would slow down, move to the left wheeltrack, and say "On your left" in a loudish manner. This usually worked. Usually. Rarely, some folks (always women, for some reason) would actually move left into my path after hearing me say "On your left". I wasn't moving so fast that I couldn't avoid them, but it was still frustrating.
Try 'passing!' I've found that people know that someone's gonna pass you on your left... Seems to result in fewer of those 'left? Move left? WTF?!' moments from other trail users.

M
Old 12-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #437
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You're just not living till a jogger on the WOD decides to turn around right in front of you without even bothering to look!

I get REAL defensive around joggers 'cause I've had em pull u-eys on me on a frequent enough basis to make me skeered.

Oh, and the WOD (or any other MUT) IS NOT a race course. You wanna go fast, go hang out with the cars. (its probably safer anyway. You can generally predict what a car is going to do!)

M
Every time I used to go to DC it amazed me that the pedestrians were so engrossed with what they were doing...or not wanting to make eye contact,(usually with ear buds stuck in their ears) that they would start across a street as soon as the walk sign turned, without even looking up to see if a bicycle, car, truck, metro bus, tractor-trailer was going to run them down.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #438
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
hikers hate mountain bikers/orv/trail riders
cagers hate bicyclists.
advriders hate pirates
fly fisherman hate spin fisherman
spin fisherman hate fly fishrman
horseback riders hate mountain bikers, hikers, and ORV/trail riders
pirates hate everyone who doesnt ride a Harley
beemers hate the orange mafia

everyone seems to think that everyone else is infringing on their freedoms.. what amazes me is that we seem to have located the only bunch of angels right here in this thread who do not partake in any activity that pisses off someone else. Dear god do I feel lucky.

obtw.. whoever said that cyclists were "guests on the road" you sir are clueless
Old 12-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #439
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
what amazes me is that we seem to have located the only bunch of angels right here in this thread who do not partake in any activity that pisses off someone else. Dear god do I feel lucky.
Some people just need to bitch and moan. They'll even get pissed off because you smile and say hello to them...."what's he so freak'n happy about!?!".

The only thing we can control is ourselves and how we react to others. Biker gets in your way? Are you really going to let it ruin your day?
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #440
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
You're just not living till a jogger on the WOD decides to turn around right in front of you without even bothering to look!

I get REAL defensive around joggers 'cause I've had em pull u-eys on me on a frequent enough basis to make me skeered.

Oh, and the WOD (or any other MUT) IS NOT a race course. You wanna go fast, go hang out with the cars. (its probably safer anyway. You can generally predict what a car is going to do!)

M
Yeah, I've seen that too!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #441
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
And, like it or not, the bicyclist is a "guest" on the road, not the one that gets to set the pace.
No, actually, anyone who has less than seven licensed vehicles (as I do) and who drives less than two miles to work, or more than two and doesn't pick someone up, or who fails to find away to fill one of the 4-8 empty seats in his car on every fucking trip, or who takes up more than one person's width on the roadway, is a guest on MY roads. I pay more gas, property, and registration taxes than 99% of the people on the road, but I ride a bike or walk to work every fucking day (using less than my share) and you think I'm the guest? You're out to lunch.

So fuck that bullshit, bud. It's the lazy wasteful single-occupancy drivers abusing the privilege, wrecking the roads, hogging the parking spaces, creating more congestion than the largest shithead group of critical massers could ever hope to, and wasting the subsidies of cheap gas and low gas taxes who are the freeloaders. And they're the rule, not the exception, here in the US of A.

And stay the fuck out of my way. Or is that your line?
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #442
Buckstoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Preach it!

+1,000,000 These hero's being oppressed by bicycle riders are a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
None of these riders were riding three-abreast in traffic. All of them were riding on the fog line, trying to cooperate with other traffic, while utilizing their right to be on the road. The driver here was an a$$hole... bigtime. Or, would it be appropriate if this guy was ahead of a motorcyclist and doing the same thing? Sure, some cyclists are obnoxious jerks... just as some car and truck drivers are... and a lot of motorcyclists are. Since when does someone else's douchebaggery justify being a douchebag?

I drive cars and trucks, ride motorcycles, and am a cyclist. The closest I've come to being killed on the road was when I was cycling and some a$$hole truck driver thought he would be funny and came alongside me with his 18-wheeler and then started easing right and forcing me either off the road into a bramble-filled deep ditch or under the wheels of his trailer. If I had a gun with me I'd have emptied it into his cab.

There's another thread in this forum that shows a pickup truck driver taking umbrage at being passed, and he tries to run the passing motorcyclist off the left side of the road and then spends the next 10 minutes chasing down that motorcyclist at high speed. That driver ended up being prosecuted for wanton endangerment and getting sentenced to a couple of years in jail with a felony conviction. I don't see how this driver is much less of an a$$hole... and Kenny if you think this action is okay then you're an a$$hole, too.
+2 Kenny
Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #443
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Becuase of all the money the purchase and use of the bike contributes to road construction and maintenance, right? Not a fucking dime.
Get over yourself, it's been shown time and time again that roads are not built and maintained exclusively using fees related to motor vehicles.

For example It took me 3 seconds to find this on Google:

http://www.hro.house.state.tx.us/foc...ayFund81-5.pdf

That's Texas where about 65-70% of the funding is motor vehicle related taxes and fees, the rest comes from other sources.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #444
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
hikers hate mountain bikers/orv/trail riders
cagers hate bicyclists.
advriders hate pirates
fly fisherman hate spin fisherman
spin fisherman hate fly fishrman
horseback riders hate mountain bikers, hikers, and ORV/trail riders
pirates hate everyone who doesnt ride a Harley
beemers hate the orange mafia

You forgot a couple but your point is made!

what amazes me is that we seem to have located the only bunch of angels right here in this thread
You must not have read all the posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Some people just need to bitch and moan. They'll even get pissed off because you smile and say hello to them...."what's he so freak'n happy about!?!".
Driving down the road 30-40 years ago everyone waved at everyone else.
Do that now and they look at you like "what the F are you waving at"!

The only thing we can control is ourselves and how we react to others. Biker gets in your way? Are you really going to let it ruin your day?
No, they'll run the bike off the road, or smokem out, and feel better about themselves...

Old 12-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #445
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Even just 10years ago I'd be riding on the farm roads out here SW of DC and all I'd see were farmers and other local-types.

Now? Yuppies.

The wave went away a long time ago.

(tho having said that, I got at least one wave from a driver today on my ride. Also had one diesel driving sumbitch who was in a serious hurry to get somewhere that passed before he could see completely over the hill we were both cresting)

M
Old 12-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #446
_CJ
Retrogrouch

I moved west in 1993 from Detroit. It freaked me out that people would smile and say hello just walking down the street or passing on the road. I got used to it and joined the club. It's just in the past couple of years that people quit saying hello on the trail. I smile and say "howdy!", they look at me as if I just cussed em out, or they just ignore me. Have to figure they're new here. I still get (and give) the wave driving on rural mountain roads and in western Nebraska, so it's not completely dead.

Back to bikes and cars though.....nothing beat the time last summer when a lady pulled out of the church parking lot on Sunday, honked her horn and cussed at me as she sped past with two young children in the back seat. (yes, I was in the bike lane, alone). I just smiled, laughed and returned her one finger salute with a friendly wave.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #447
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

I've found that people pass me in inapropriate places at an inversely proportional rate to how much farther they have till home.

Pass me into oncoming traffic and turn into the driveway 1/4mi ahead? Uhhh yeah. You couldn't wait 30sec? I can't tell you how many times THAT'S happened over the years.

Or if they're not passing inapropriately, they're passing too closely to get to the same turn.

Even if I'm not your relation, I'm *someone's* relation. How'd you like it if your brother/uncle/son/whatever was hit? Probably not so much, huh? Why treat other people differently?!

M
Old 12-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #448
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
It's just in the past couple of years that people quit saying hello on the trail. I smile and say "howdy!", they look at me as if I just cussed em out, or they just ignore me. Have to figure they're new here. I still get (and give) the wave driving on rural mountain roads and in western Nebraska, so it's not completely dead.
It's the advent of the iPod. Same thing on Camelback Mountain in Phoenix. It used to be a big social scene. Everyone said hello to each other, chatted for a minute at the stops, etc. Now everyone is in their own little music-filled world. I fucking hate it.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #449
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Pass me into oncoming traffic and turn into the driveway 1/4mi ahead? Uhhh yeah. You couldn't wait 30sec? I can't tell you how many times THAT'S happened over the years.
I know what you mean. I always have people pull out of a driveway/side road RIGHT in front of me whether it be on the bike or in the truck, just to have them drive slow and almost come to a complete stop to pull into another side road/driveway 1/4 mile down the road...They don't want to be slowed down by anything...even though they are the ones slowing others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
It's the advent of the iPod.
Maybe on trails but not on roads like I was referring to. Some people are just off in their own little world or meaner now days.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #450
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsonic View Post
I will leave out the particulars for legal reasons (for the record I was not riding aggressively or doing anything to piss anyone off) but the end result is me getting cut off, nice endo over the front of the bike and I am down in the street. The bike fell onto the throttle and which gets pinned open. I stumble up to shut off the bike. It all went down pretty fast, but by the time I am up, the pickup truck that provided my endo platform is long gone and the car behind me pulls around and leaves me there. I get the bike picked up and roll it to the side of the road.
Not one person stopped to see I was okay, nothing, not even a cracked window and "hey, you okay?"
The only person who stopped was a guy on a bicycle. But he did not see anything.
This happened in rush hour Los Angles, there must have been 50 cars that drove by me before I made it to the side of the road.
I did not even know who call. It was just me standing by the side of the road.
I was head to toe in gear, so I did not take any real damage. After a bit I calmed down and rode into work.

What really bugs me is that not one person stopped or even asked if I was okay.
I can only hope someone would have called had I just been laying in the street.
Yup, those cyclists are nothing but a bunch of selfish jerks.