Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #4726
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
in other words, you cannot point out anything in the statutes that supports your definition of "slow moving" or the notion that the statutes do not apply if you are going the speed limit. (you can't point that out because it does not exist.)

and you don't want to come right out and call pOdiablO a liar even though that's what you've been implying.

got it.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #4727
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
So unless we are talking about residential streets or you are a badass and can hold 35 on a flat, what does the last day or so have to do with bicycles?
Old 07-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #4728
Center-stand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
So I'm driving down I26 to Charlston and traffic is pretty heavy. I can see a Toyota truck in the left lane running beside a pickup pulling an obviously loaded toy hauler. Traffic had been moving about 75 but slowed to 65 behind the rolling roadblock. There were 12 cars in front of me and in a couple of miles the line behind me went as far as I could see.

The toy hauler eventually slowed and created a gap that allowed the Toyota to pull over, but he didn't, so eventually one by one those in the left lane began to pass the Toyota on the right side.

You would think the Toyota driver would recognize what was going on and move out of the way, but he didn't. I finally got my chance and slipped past him on the right and moved on, and I could see those behind continued to do the same.

Now you might ask, what has this got to do with this thread? Well, the guys in the Toyota had their bikes on the back. Guess they felt it was their right to hold the lane

Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #4729
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,886
Read me

and me

and me

and me too

There's more according to Mr Google, but I'll stop here

M
Old 07-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #4730
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,866
Still at it?!

Holy shit, has anybody thrown the flag yet?!

Here's the news: the problem isn't cyclists, or Prius drivers or pirates or whatever demographic has most recently impeded you today.

The problem is everyone; we are breeding like bacteria in a petri dish and the cracks are starting to show.

Yes, this includes me along with your precious snowflake. Myself, I'm not adding to the problem.

You?
Old 07-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #4731
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
God I hope you're not in any way involved in the judicial system because your idea of proof is pretty much 100% wrong.

I asked for examples, documented examples, of something that's been claimed to happen all the time....ie a vehicle, moving at the speed limit, being cited for impeding traffic flow.

No one's done that. Not one.

There's been examples given of citations for impeding traffic flow but there were given instead of speeding tickets. Other examples of a vehicle moving some 15 to 20 mph slower than the speed limit being cited. But no one has, so far, posted any example of a vehicle moving at speed limit being cited...

and that's the crux of this current discussion.

So dude, grow up eh? Learn to argue a case, learn the meaning of proof. Learn how to read.
You don't know how to argue a case, and your exact bet is recorded. This is what you bet against:

The above and/or V C Section 22400 a)No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic...
"I don't drink but you can buy me a coke next time you're in Ca. If the normal flow of traffic is 60 and the speed limit is 45 and you are doing 45 holding up traffic, you can get a ticket. Happens all the time."
(That is the exact bet you took)

Those examples of people doing at or around the speed limit and getting tickets has been provided.

The part of 5 cars being held up was your addition, in order, one assumes, to Cat weasel your way out of it.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #4732
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Besides, it happened AGAIN today, on a ride in the foothills.

Another club road captain and I stayed behind to assist a rider that had exceeded her skills. She nearly zipped into the dirt and over a rail when her bike hit a "tar snake" that changed her line. She was a bit shaken and having a hard time keeping the 65 posted speed.

Pulled over, we explained what had happened, he gave her a quick side of the road test to make sure she was not drunk and/or incapable of riding and asked us to get to secondary (well, tertiary roads is what he meant, we were on secondary roads) roads where the speed was 55 or less.

No ticket, but he quoted the rule about pulling over if we had a line behind us.
(funny, they never do that for the busses full of idiots headed for the rapids and have inflatable boats strapped to the top doing 45 in a 65 zone)
Old 07-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #4733
sdmichael
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgconner View Post
You don't know how to argue a case, and your exact bet is recorded. This is what you bet against:

The above and/or V C Section 22400 a)No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic...
"I don't drink but you can buy me a coke next time you're in Ca. If the normal flow of traffic is 60 and the speed limit is 45 and you are doing 45 holding up traffic, you can get a ticket. Happens all the time."
(That is the exact bet you took)

Those examples of people doing at or around the speed limit and getting tickets has been provided.

The part of 5 cars being held up was your addition, in order, one assumes, to Cat weasel your way out of it.
CVC 21656 covers the "5 car" rule as well. With all this in mind, neither CVC 21656 or CVC 22400 usually apply to cyclists. CVC 21200 gives a good idea of what applies and what doesn't.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #4734
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

The bet was never about cyclists. It was about driving.... you expect after 300+ pages we are even remotely on topic?
Old 07-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #4735
StoneAgeMan
Wanderer

Oddometer: 710
tripping the light - sensor that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
...and most of all, light sensors typically don't trip for bicycles. They have problems with motos, bicycles are even lighter and (lots of times) non-ferrous making em about impossible to trip.
There are almost no light sensors that require weight, although it is true that some amount of metallic mass is required by most sensors. Note that most cars have 4-6 inches of rubber sidewall (tire) before getting to any metal and that distance is important.

Most traffic sensor signals that are in the street can be seen as a darker line, almost a crack, either as a circle or octagon. What I've found is that by stopping, putting my wheel right on that line and rapidly turning the handlebar left/right will often generate enough signal to trigger the light. And yes, this is with a modern wheel, not some steel Schwinn wheel from the '60s. This works especially well at the point where the circle/octagon intersects with the straight line leading to the side of the road.

Also, I've got the phone numbers for the street maintenance of the various municipalities that I go through. I take a picture of the intersection with the road signs, then when I get to work that day (or the next day), I call them and politely let them know. Every time I've done this, they've thanked me and within a couple of weeks they've adjusted the sensor to be more sensitive.

The street maintenance workers in my area may not be representative, but I've done this for decades now in four different metro areas in three different states involving over 12 different road departments and have never had a problem getting a sensor fixed. Instead they're always appreciative as they just can't get out there and test every light, and they don't have workers that drive on every road. Of course being polite always helps :-)

StoneAge Man
StoneAgeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #4736
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
I used to work at a traffic court. The tickets were fairly rare - only got these from the park rangers in the Cuyamaca Mountains. I saw maybe 2 or 3 go past my desk in my 6 years there and the defendants were always 60+ years old and one of then whined to me (I'm just a clerk, mind you) that he was going the speed limit. Always on a windy two lane road.

From this thread:
http://www.carlreese.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=592

You can find the post:

You won't find a newspaper article about it for the same reason you won't find a news article about being in the HOV lane without a passenger (in a car). Neither are inherent safety issues like most of the vehicle code.
So LEO's not only ticket speeders and slow moving vehicles...they also ticket people doing the speed limit. How fucked up is that?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #4737
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
catweasel...

you lost. admit it. proof has been provided...by multiple people.
Who are you, the intermediary of this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post

the weasel part of your screen name sure does fit...
Funny, you had no pony in this race but you sure came slithering in to sling out the insults.

Maybe he doesn't believe it because it is pretty damn bizarre. If indeed folks do get tickets for obeying the law it should be front page news as it's the most fucked up thing I've heard of in a long while.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #4738
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Time to let it go me thinks. You'll be healthier for it. I'm obviously not gonna convince you and you're certainly not gonna convince me.
Sentences like that are why people like myself and LittleRedToyota get involved.

Such willful stupidity must be shown for what it is.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:15 PM   #4739
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Who are you, the intermediary of this thread?
i'm just someone who was not involved (objective third party) who got tired of seeing him trying to weasel out of admitting he lost the bet.

Quote:
Funny, you had no pony in this race but you sure came slithering in to sling out the insults.
i just gave him back what he dished out. besides, it fits and makes the point...and it isn't like he hasn't earned it.

Quote:
Maybe he doesn't believe it because it is pretty damn bizarre.
not really. but, bizarre or not, proof has been provided.

Quote:
If indeed folks do get tickets for obeying the law it should be front page news as it's the most fucked up thing I've heard of in a long while.
they are not obeying the law. the law says they have to pull off when they can to let traffic stacked up behind them past. they did not do that. thus, they broke the law...and got a ticket. (btw, that's a damn good law.)
Old 07-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #4740
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
So LEO's not only ticket speeders and slow moving vehicles...they also ticket people doing the speed limit. How fucked up is that?
If people are holding up traffic, they are creating an unsafe condition. Or do you have a problem with democracy in real time?
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote