Old 08-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #4921
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
Pedantic.

The mayor is lying.

And the investigation has been turned over to the St Louis County PD. Give them time and I'll bet the mayor will be prosecuted.

Michelle Marie Funkenbusch is the attorney and she stated during a news conf that she was able to talk to one witness and confirmed that his story matches the cyclist's. In fact, she stated that the witness was shocked that the mayor wasn't arrested. Keep in mind that no one knew that the driver was the mayor. It appears that two witnesses chased down the driver.

If you're on FB, join or lookup "Bikelife STL". Her news conf is there on video. Here's a link - it may work for those who are interested.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #4922
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post

...And the investigation has been turned over to the St Louis County PD. Give them time and I'll bet the mayor will be prosecuted.
I am not sure I'd make that bet, but it will be interesting to see what the outcome is. Hopefully mr. mayor gets his head handed to him though.

One of the news articles mentioned 3 witnesses, let's hope they can provide a reasonable and unbiased account of what happened. That's the way it's supposed to work, right?
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #4923
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
maiden name or married name?
if it's her maiden name i bet she had a lot of fun in high school!

Michelle Marie Funkenbusch
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #4924
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,591
I'll agree that we don't know for certain what the actual facts of the situation were. But I'm still skeptical of the mayor's claims. Why was he beside the cyclist long enough for the cyclist to grab on at all, even if that's what did happen?
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #4925
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
maiden name or married name?
if it's her maiden name i bet she had a lot of fun in high school!

Michelle Marie Funkenbusch
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #4926
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:19 PM   #4927
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
!
Heeheehee! I've done that.

Bonus points to the rider for passing a non-Harley.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #4928
Telemarktumalo
Coffee Achiever

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
I'll agree that we don't know for certain what the actual facts of the situation were. But I'm still skeptical of the mayor's claims. Why was he beside the cyclist long enough for the cyclist to grab on at all, even if that's what did happen?
I'll be watching for updates on this. The witnesses will be key in settling the he said vs. he said argument, because one of those guys is clearly lying. If the mayor's version is correct, I still don't get why he didn't stop immediately when he realized the cyclist had hit the ground. And, if a convertible can up beside me and starting harrassing me, I might grab onto the side of the car to feel if the car was coming at me. Regardless, this is a clear demonstration of how the bike always loses in a confrontation. Let's hope that the truth comes out. It sounds like the cyclist is all over the legal thing with a lawyer on speed dial. Only in America!
Telemarktumalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #4929
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Seriously?

Road cycling scary?

Do most of you simply have Weazy on ignore?

I've been spending more time on the MTB of late.

The local passive-aggressive attitude toward cyclists has tilted toward aggressive as this summer has progressed; in a rural area with minimal traffic (both auto & cycles), it has become, patently, "un-fun" & unnecessary.

Add to that the abysmal/dangerous state of disrepair of most road surfaces which have drivers swerving to avoid axle snapping, several-inches- deep & literally miles long "potholes", with the only clear path of travel in the center of a two lane, and crumbling shoulders littered with debris, the dirt has become preferable!

My (admittedly ill-timed) road ride last Friday afternoon, given all the above, was a bit scary but more unpleasant/unenjoyable than anything- cars 12" off my elbow at 60+ mph tend to have that effect.I say this recalling my(young & dumber) days of splitting lanes, the wrong way, in SFO and loving every minute of it.

ozmoses screwed with this post 08-03-2014 at 08:30 AM
ozmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #4930
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
Do most of you simply have Weazy on ignore?

I've been spending more time on the MTB of late.

The local passive-aggressive attitude toward cyclists has tilted toward aggressive as this summer has progressed; in a rural area with minimal traffic (both auto & cycles), it has become, patently, "un-fun" & unnecessary.

Add to that the abysmal/dangerous state of disrepair of most road surfaces which have drivers swerving to avoid axle snapping, several-inches- deep & literally miles long "potholes", with the only clear path of travel in the center of a two lane, and crumbling shoulders littered with debris, the dirt has become preferable!

My (admittedly ill-timed) road ride last Friday afternoon, given all the above, was a bit scary but more unpleasant/unenjoyable than anything- cars 12" off my elbow at 60+ mph tend to have that effect.I say this recalling my(young & dumber) days of splitting lanes, the wrong way, in SFO and loving every minute of it.

I've cycled all over Western, Southern and Central Europe, as well as England, Scotland, Wales and have never had a problem. It's never been scary.

Seems to me that you guys have some pretty serious problems over there, either that, or maybe you should re-consider your choice of sport - "scary" being, after all, a relative term,
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #4931
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,691
Quote:
Seems to me that you guys have some pretty serious problems over there, either that, or maybe you should re-consider your choice of sport - "scary" being, after all, a relative term,
Before you make assumptions, maybe you should come riding in some of the areas that we're talking about. I haven't seen nearly as much passive-aggressive and/or more plain aggressive driving anywhere that I've lived than the DC area.

In Yurp, there's always seemed to be a more egalitarian attitude towards bikes and motos that we don't have here.

The 'get off my road ya spandex clad [expletive deleted]!' crowd seems to be in the majority over this side of the pond.

M
Old 08-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #4932
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
The US is a really big place and it's not really proper to paint it with a broad brush. I've ridden across it a bunch of times as well as across much of Europe, including Scotland/England. I'd say there are places in Europe that are just as scary to ride in as any of the worst that the US has to offer. There were places in Italy (and Lisbon/Portugal) that had some really scary drivers. On a whole though, European cage drivers do have a better attitude towards bicycles that here in the US. Whenever you get near large population centers the cycling and the attitudes that people have towards cyclist tend to get worse. Doesn't matter where you are.
That is why I ride mostly in rural areas and have very few problems at all.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #4933
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
Whenever you get near large population centers the cycling and the attitudes that people have towards cyclist tend to get worse. Doesn't matter where you are.
Try Amsterdam?
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #4934
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,590
Quote:
I've cycled all over Western, Southern and Central Europe, as well as England, Scotland, Wales and have never had a problem. It's never been scary.

I notice that the US is not included on that list, Weazy.

Your opinion of cycling here is based upon sheer conjecture, then?

OK, good talk.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #4935
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Try Amsterdam?
No, never been there. I bet it's pretty good though. Most of the Netherlands is very bike friendly.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote