Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #4951
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Col Rider View Post
Agreed, cell phones (texting and driving) is the worst thing that have happened to cyclists, pedestrians and motorcyclist since the invention of the car.
You're attaching capability and culpability to an inanimate object (again). It's a plastic box of electronic components. Might as well blame in-car audio systems, window winders, odometers, road-signs, roadside animals, advertising, good looking women in short skirts etc. At the end of the day it's the driver and the driver's immaturity, carelessness or irresponsibility that's to blame. It's not the plastic box.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #4952
Colorado Col Rider
Wee Stromming Now

Oddometer: 197
Those too

All those things you listed don't help, and I'm not blaming the cell phone, I'm blaming the people that can't help but use them while they drive. Most of the readers here capable of making that distinction without help.

Colorado Col Rider screwed with this post 08-05-2014 at 01:57 PM
Colorado Col Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #4953
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,828
Motorcycles are invisible.

!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #4954
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,587
Anything original?
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #4955
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Anything original?
Not in the last 100 or so posts. No.

Watching the Tour of Utah on the teevee. No problems with idiots in cars for those guys.

Me? Had several of em pass me into corners or before the crest of hills. ...on a ride that lasted less than an hour!

M
Old 08-06-2014, 05:46 AM   #4956
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottheDogg View Post
101 pages on a simple road rules question!
Do whatever is safe and respectful, pass when it is safe for all parties (oncoming/cyclist/self)
The problem I see as a cyclist is that people feel it is their god given right to maintain their current speed regardless of who's coming or going.

Which raises this point- when did it become acceptable/common to swerve into the oncoming lane, even if there is oncoming traffic, to avoid an "obstruction" such as a right turning vehicle or slow moving farm equipment?

I was taught that if your lane of travel is impeded, you slow down and/or stop, not swing out into the other lane!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:26 AM   #4957
fahrenheit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
Which raises this point- when did it become acceptable/common to swerve into the oncoming lane, even if there is oncoming traffic, to avoid an "obstruction" such as a right turning vehicle or slow moving farm equipment?

I was taught that if your lane of travel is impeded, you slow down and/or stop, not swing out into the other lane!
I wish the people around here were taught the same thing. On the main roads it doesn't seem to be a problem, but side roads and neighborhoods if their lane is impeded other drivers have no problem using the opposite side of the road regardless of oncoming traffic.
fahrenheit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:03 AM   #4958
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit View Post
side roads and neighborhoods if their lane is impeded other drivers have no problem using the opposite side of the road regardless of oncoming traffic.
That's one of my pet peeves when it comes to driving courtesy. If you're driving down a residential street and your side of the road is blocked (usually by a parked car), you're the one who should stop and wait for oncoming traffic to clear!

Granted, this almost never causes any collisions since the speeds involved are low, and you expect everyone coming your way to be a douchebag and pull this stunt, but it's just so damned annoying when someone swings over onto your side of the road because their side is blocked.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #4959
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
The woman with the viral video previously criticizing cyclists makes a public apology and gets behind the handlebars on city streets to experience our world firsthand.

Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #4960
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post

Had this happen yesterday. I had to get on the brakes pretty good in my car because the lady in a yellow jeep did not want to slow down and wait, she swung out to my side of the road to pass a jogger.

This was on a 45mph road. I would have been by quickly, but no, jeep girl was not to be impeded! Damn the laws, she needs to get somewhere.

I had ASSumed she would slow down, so I maintained my speed to get by, but she screwed that plan up.

One day she will pull that shit and the guy going the other way will be on the phone, not paying attention, and they will get to exchange info.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #4961
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
Granted, this almost never causes any collisions since the speeds involved are low, and you expect everyone coming your way to be a douchebag and pull this stunt, but it's just so damned annoying when someone swings over onto your side of the road because their side is blocked.
The collision almost never happening may only be due to evasive action on the part of oncoming traffic, especially at higher speeds. This morning, (driving my wife's minivan) I was doing a touch under 60 in a 50 zone with no vehicle in sight in my lane ahead of me and one car about a 1/2 mile behind me. It is flat, boring straight about 3/4 of a mile long between a turn and a small dip. I was heading south towards the dip. There is a cyclist oncoming in the opposite lane. He was in the lane, using about 1/3 of it. Crossing the white line on this road would be ill advised as you'll be into broken asphalt and grass sonner than later. Coming out of the dip behind him was another minivan followed very closely by a motorcycle. At this point, I was unaware of the motorcycle because he was hidden behind the minivan. I saw the minivan start to crowd the dotted yellow and I backed out of the gas, anticipating his stupidity. The cyclist was cranking along decently, but not flying, probably in the 15 - 20 MPH range. The oncoming minivan slows slightly, then decides to pass while straddling the dotted yellow. A quick check of the math puts it at 1/3 of the oncoming lane for the cyclist, The oncoming minivan using 1/2of his lane and 1/2 of mine. At that point, I went heavy on the brakes and used 1/2 of my lane with two wheels in the grass. Thankfully we were between mailboxes at the time or it might have been a bit uglier for my wife's new van. It was at about that time that the motorcycle popped into view in close formation behind the minivan. He was in his own lane near the dotted yellow.

As I see it, The cyclist could have done nothing more except maybe take the entire lane and see if it dissuaded the pass. If the minivan had still tried to pass, I'd have been in the ditch. The minivan driver was the biggest idiot and could have slowed and made a clean pass after I went by and maybe lost 10 seconds out of his / her day. The second biggest idiot was the motorcyclist. By following so closely, I was unable to see them and had the other minivan and I collided, The motorcyclist would be in a world of hurt. Short of being on my bike so we could go three wide or in a big truck that would be more intimidating and maybe going the speed limit so the oncoming driver had more time to make the pass, I don't think there was much left for me in the way of options.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #4962
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgconner View Post
Plan and simple the attitude of most car drivers is that roads are for 4+ wheels only.

Motorcyclists and cyclists are second class users, as evidenced by the Lane splitting issues and bicycling aggression issues.

Even the motorcylists tend to grumble about the cyclists using "our" roads.

So maybe Cyclists are 3rd class users.

California has a new 3 foot rule, saying traffic has to give cyclists a 3 foot space when passing if there is no dedicated bike lane.

We shall see how that works out.
There is a major difference between motorcyclists and bicyclists-motos actually keep up with prevailing traffic and don't hold up other vehicle operatiors.
IdahoRenegade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:37 AM   #4963
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
^^^ sigh...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #4964
fahrenheit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
There is a major difference between motorcyclists and bicyclists-motos actually keep up with prevailing traffic and don't hold up other vehicle operatiors.
And god forbid someone get in your way. What kind of self-important douchenozzle would dare ride their bike on a public roadway? You know who else we need to get off the road is those damn USPS trucks. Do they feel the need to stop at what seems like EVERY mailbox? Then we can try and rid the world of the trash trucks! Those idiots run around in the middle of the roadway with those big cans and you can't even see around them!

Just pass them and move on with your life. Worrying about them damn spandex clad cyclists is going to give you an aneurysm.
fahrenheit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #4965
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit View Post
I wish the people around here were taught the same thing. On the main roads it doesn't seem to be a problem, but side roads and neighborhoods if their lane is impeded other drivers have no problem using the opposite side of the road regardless of oncoming traffic.
I think that technically, there is no 'oncoming' lane in residential streets if there are no lane markings.