Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #556
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Only one idiot on the road today.

Some douche in a dually pickup cut a blind corner that goes over the crest of a hill. He was halfway in my lane!

Good thing I was 1' or so from the white line or he'da creamed me!

M
I see that all the time on the motorcycle. I almost instinctively move to the right side of my lane when going around blind corners because nine times out of ten, if there is someone coming to other way, they will be halfway into my lane.
Not so much in the truck...but I've still had some close calls in it too!

I never got the memo from the DMV but driving apparently isn't a priority while operating a motor vehicle now days!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #557
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,593
1 idiot on the road today. Yup. Passing around a blind corner into oncoming traffic again.

Ya see, today I was in 'don't hit me yellow' headed towards Prince William Co's Police and Fire training center down the road from my house. Some idiot in a Jetta decides to pass me DESPITE me sitting up and holding out my arm in a 'stop' manner.

Ummm ya think the guy in front of you can see around the corner better and ya might wanna think about what that hand sticking out may just signify? Maybe? Perhaps there's *gasp* something coming?!

Nah! Couldn't POSSIBLY be anything coming ON THE ROAD TO THE TRAINING CENTER! Nope. Couldn't happen.

I just wish they'd done that when a cop was coming. 'Course, who knows what the cop woulda done. Probably nothing.

Otherwise, another uneventful day on the roads round NoVA

M
Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #558
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
If we hop in the Way-Back machine with Peabody and Sherman it'll take us back to 1983 coming down the south grade of Palomar Mtn. on my Suzuki Katana. As I came around one of the right hand hairpins there appears, coming right at me, in my lane a motorhome! I cranked that thing over till the engine cases were on the ground. When the tires started coming off the ground and I bailed. The bike hit the motorhome head on and I bounced off the rear duals of the motorhome. It was a sad day indeed. I loved that bike. The guy in the motorhome yelled something out the window complaining about his wife flying somewhere and then backed up off of my bike and drove off (like he was going to really get away). There was a good outcome from the incident though. The money I got from his insurance company jump-started my racing career (such as it was) on my spanking new FJ600...
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #559
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,788
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #560
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
1. The guy on the bicycle is lucky to be alive.

2. Obviously his first day riding on the public streets, or maybe he just got off a plane from Amsterdam.

3. Ride on the sidewalk, what's the chance of a ticket versus the chance of being road kill?
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #561
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
1. The guy on the bicycle is lucky to be alive.

2. Obviously his first day riding on the public streets, or maybe he just got off a plane from Amsterdam.

3. Ride on the sidewalk, what's the chance of a ticket versus the chance of being road kill?
The idiot driving the car was a 17 year old. Love how the bus blocked him from the run part of a hit and run and the next car blocked him from the rear.

The sidewalk on the bridge looks pretty narrow. If the guy is a regular commuter he may be tired of haggling with the peds on the sidewalk. I can't tell where he was from the video, but if I was biking that bridge I'd stay in the middle of my lane. At least for the duration of the bridge the cagers in a hurry can suck on it.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #562
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert OK View Post

The sidewalk on the bridge looks pretty narrow. If the guy is a regular commuter he may be tired of haggling with the peds on the sidewalk. I can't tell where he was from the video, but if I was biking that bridge I'd stay in the middle of my lane. At least for the duration of the bridge the cagers in a hurry can suck on it.
Really? They can suck on it? I think you will be the one sucking it -- as in through a straw because you are in a body cast -- if you continue to ride with that attitude. Yeah the sidewalk may be a pain in the ass....so how about finding a different route that doesn't require EITHER a crowded narrow sidewalk or the middle of the lane? The thing that gets me about most idiots on bicycles (in the city) is that there is almost ALWAYS a bike trail or bike lane or a quieter neighborhood street one block in either direction!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #563
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Really? They can suck on it? I think you will be the one sucking it -- as in through a straw because you are in a body cast -- if you continue to ride with that attitude. Yeah the sidewalk may be a pain in the ass....so how about finding a different route that doesn't require EITHER a crowded narrow sidewalk or the middle of the lane? The thing that gets me about most idiots on bicycles (in the city) is that there is almost ALWAYS a bike trail or bike lane or a quieter neighborhood street one block in either direction!
Well, you could keep that "cyclists deserve what they get" attitude...ignoring the issues that are common to cyclists and motorcyclists.

For that..I've got nothing. Even if a cyclist is TOTALLY, 100% WRONG and riding in a totally inappropriate or illegal area..I think other road users have a responsibility to avoid a collision.

Sometimes, sometimes....cyclists are riding illegally (like on a sidewalk, yo) and get killed anyway.

What say you now...cage driver?

(and, I doubt it's "most idiots on a bicycle (in the city)")..rather, it's most of the cyclists who delay you for a few seconds 'cause you're so damn intolerant of other road users (we all pay taxes to use the Road!) that you just can't stand to be held up for a few seconds)

dolomoto screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 07:19 PM
dolomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:16 AM   #564
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds kind of threatening. Sorry (not), but you don't own the road. And that's pure BS about the "ALWAYS a bike trail.." part.

I've ridden recreationally and commuted on bikes in Manhattan, DC, SF and LA for the last 40 years. The attitude has done me fine so far. One jerk tried to run me off the road in SF. Didn't work.

That said I'm always polite when I bike and try to make it easier for everyone to get to where they're going. Sometimes you have no choice and have to take the lane making cars back up. No fun for me either. Being tailgated is a drag on bike, as much as a car or motorcycle.

If you're going to hit someone because you're being held up, that's your choice. You can live with it. In the meantime suck on it.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:37 AM   #565
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,120
Quote:
Around here a different route would add nearly ten miles to my commute. Not every street has a bridge.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #566
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,918

I'm not being threatening.

If you don't believe the reality that some fuck is going to run your ass over if you try to use the whole lane for the length of the bridge, you are an idiot.

Is it legal and do you have the right to do it? YES. Does that make it smart? HELLZ NO!

I'm an avid cyclist myself. Have been for over 20 years. Seven of those years I was a commuter.

I'm still allive because I don't insist on taking my right-of-way when it will get me killed.

If I were in a position where I HAD to cross a bridge because an alternate route would go too far away, I would walk the bike on the sidwalk.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka

LuciferMutt screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 06:55 AM
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #567
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,592
I have to agree....it may be perfectly legal for him to be there but that doesn't make it a sane thing to do. The speed and amount of traffic plus no shoulder at all make that bridge extremely dangerous. The guy is lucky to be alive... If that was the only route available I'd walk the bike across on the sidewalk.
Nice job by the bus driver for his quick thinking and reflexes.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #568
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,522
Yeah, that's fucking nuts to be riding on that bridge. Huge Kudos to the bus driver though! I'll bet that kid was crapping his pants.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #569
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

If you don't believe the reality that some fuck is going to run your ass over if you try to use the whole lane for the length of the bridge, you are an idiot.
If I only had a dime for every time a Safety Nazi called someone an "idiot"...
Old 04-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #570
Double H
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert OK View Post
If I only had a dime for every time a Safety Nazi called someone an "idiot"...
he was an idiot, your welcome
Double H is offline   Reply With Quote