Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #586
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post

To your other point....YES, it is all of our responsibilities to watch out for each other. AKA civic duty.

Can't tell you how many rear end collisions I've seen where you have a line of traffic traveling at speed, the lead driver does a quick lane change at the last minute to pass slower or stopped traffic without braking, slowing, or otherwise warning the drivers behind him of a hazard, and the cars following the lead driver pile into the slow/stopped traffic. Legal for the lead car? Sure. Do the cars that plow into the slow/stopped traffic get a ticket? Of course. But, if the lead driver had tapped his brakes a few times, and/or slowed down a bit, nobody would have gotten in a wreck.
So let me follow this to it's illogical conclusion... if a group of riders are out on the trail, then the guy on the KTM should stay in first gear and less than half throttle because it will be all his fault if the guy on the KLR kills himself trying to keep up?

Truly, you should have known...
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #587
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ
black car then tries to swerve between silver car and bus hitting cyclist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Nah, you just need to work on your reading comprehension.

Nah, you still don't get it. Yes, the black car was in a hurry but no swerving was done, or if it was it was well behind the cyclist. The car was clearly driving along in the slow lane and the bus was 20'+ in front of the bicycle when the accident occurred.
The black car had plenty of time to see and react to the cyclist if he had been watching what he was doing, ie: driving. I don't know maybe the driver hit the cyclist on purpose just because. It happens.
I'm sure the silver car backed off when the black car cut in front of it driving like an idiot.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #588
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Nah, you still don't get it. Yes, the black car was in a hurry but no swerving was done, or if it was it was well behind the cyclist. The car was clearly driving along in the slow lane and the bus was 20'+ in front of the bicycle when the accident occurred.
The black car had plenty of time to see and react to the cyclist if he had been watching what he was doing, ie: driving. I don't know maybe the driver hit the cyclist on purpose just because. It happens.
I'm sure the silver car backed off when the black car cut in front of it driving like an idiot.

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #589
Ironhead76
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 26
dual purpose diesel

this really makes me want to get a diesel truck

[/QUOTE]
Old 04-17-2012, 05:49 AM   #590
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,199
moron
Old 04-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #591
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead76 View Post

you probably kick puppies for the hell of it as well.

looked like the cyclists were more than far enough right not to cause any delays.?
why the animosity
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #592
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,057
I got to thinkin about being creamed from behind on my ride yesterday.

REGARDLESS of where I'm riding, its the passing drivers' responsibilities to pass safely. In some cases, its legislated that 3' is safe. In some cases, even that 3' isn't safe IF you can't see over the hill/around the corner/whatever. Blaming me for someone creaming me from behind is ass-backwards.

Unfortunately, hit a cyclist (MC or bicycle) and all you get is a slap on the wrist. We're all 2nd class citizens on the road.

Buddy of mine did an informal study of passing bicycles safely. He'd come up behind em and start timing. In zero of however many cases he timed, not once did he get to 60sec before it was safe to pass. You're going to be there 60sec (or less) later by being safe vs passing unsafely. Think about it.

M
Old 04-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #593
firebug24k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I commute by bicycle and motorcycle - depends on the day. It's about 12 miles each way, some of which is in fairly heavy traffic (but slow). I don't care if you pass me or don't give me a whole lot of room, just don't hit me! I lane split on the motorcycle, and I feel that has many of the same risks/challenges as riding a bicycle in traffic.

I stay as far to the right as I can (on the bicycle), but occasionally I'll come out further in the lane (parked cars, sewer grates, making a left turn, etc). I try to stay up with the speed of traffic as much as I can (usually around 18-20MPH in a 25MPH zone, which means most people are doing 30ish).

I'm not a pro cyclist by any means, but last weekend I wanted to take the wife out for a drive in the cage and was frustrated by several hundred cyclists strung out all along a nice curvy road (posted at 55MPH), most of whom were riding at <20 (lots of blind curves, single lanes, etc). I felt that was pretty dangerous, and I wouldn't do it myself.... several times I'd come around a corner and have to hit the brakes pretty hard for bikes out in the middle of the lane.

If they were going the same speed (or close to it) as traffic, that'd be OK, but 30-40MPH under what most cars are doing is dangerous. Dangerous, but they're well within their rights to do it.... but my sympathy is significantly less for someone who gets hit in a situation like that.
firebug24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #594
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Hope you and your bike are alright. Details?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #595
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
There are jerks in every group of road users, but I'm willing to bet there are way more people riding motorcycles to compensate for insecurities than those who ride bicycles.

People criticize bicyclists for making up their own rules, darting around at random, and not having consideration for how they affect others. Before we criticize them, maybe we need to think how they and others view us.

Be honest, on any given weekend how many bikes do you encounter that run with high wattage high beams, or excessively loud pipes? Crusires in slowly moving packs, or sport bikes tearing up the road at excessive speeds? Riders splitting lanes, filtering, parking, or passing where illegal. Add to that riders who tailgate, weave through traffic, and jackrabbit from stops. Don't forget the headline making antics of stunters, and outlaw clubs.

Kettle meet pot?
Old 04-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #596
Hoo Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

REGARDLESS of where I'm riding, its the passing drivers' responsibilities to pass safely. In some cases, its legislated that 3' is safe. In some cases, even that 3' isn't safe IF you can't see over the hill/around the corner/whatever. Blaming me for someone creaming me from behind is ass-backwards.

Unfortunately, hit a cyclist (MC or bicycle) and all you get is a slap on the wrist. We're all 2nd class citizens on the road.

Buddy of mine did an informal study of passing bicycles safely. He'd come up behind em and start timing. In zero of however many cases he timed, not once did he get to 60sec before it was safe to pass. You're going to be there 60sec (or less) later by being safe vs passing unsafely. Think about it.

M
Your post is exactly why I won't commute on a bicycle. Bicycles cannot keep up with traffic and there are too many people who are in a hurry and don't mind risking the bicyclists life so they can save a few seconds.

Last time I commuted on a bike was during college and even in a college town, right next to the college, I'd get cages crowding me into the gutter everyday. Riding a bike on the road isn't worth the risk to me. At least on a motorcycle I can keep up or pass them.
Hoo Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #597
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead76 View Post
Then maybe you'll finally be somebody! And then you can run away, too! Just like these goobers!

Well, good on ya. Why not get out and just spit in the cyclists' faces?

The punks in the truck need their teeth kicked in (preferably in front of their families), but like most of these pussytoes, would probably cry to the cops. Jeebus, why do some people become total cowards when they get behind the wheel?

The truck driver and those like him are cowardly fucking pieces of shit. No other way to say it. Join em if you want. That is all.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #598
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
The truck driver and those like him are cowardly fucking pieces of shit. No other way to say it. Join em if you want. That is all.[/QUOTE]
+1
Again, I think that everyone should ride a bike, try crossing the street at an uncontrolled crosswalk, drive a really large commercial truck, and ride a motorcycle. Then you might have some empathy.
The way I see it, pedestrians hate cars, cars hate pedestrians, but everyone hates cyclists. I just don't get it. Personally, the repercussions to others of a cyclist rolling through a red light are nil, compared to the average 5500# one ton grocery getter quad cab 4x4 doing the same.
I've started to treat driving as a chance to see how far I can go without coming to a complete stop, same with the MC. As for cycling, I try and make it home without dabbing.
Anyway, ride safe everybody.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #599
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnickelfritz View Post
Well, good on ya. Why not get out and just spit in the cyclists' faces?

That would require not being a walking vaginal secretion. Most of the people that would pull this stunt or even find it funny are complete pussies.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #600
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,057
Quote:
+1
Again, I think that everyone should ride a bike, try crossing the street at an uncontrolled crosswalk, drive a really large commercial truck, and ride a motorcycle. Then you might have some empathy.
The way I see it, pedestrians hate cars, cars hate pedestrians, but everyone hates cyclists. I just don't get it. Personally, the repercussions to others of a cyclist rolling through a red light are nil, compared to the average 5500# one ton grocery getter quad cab 4x4 doing the same.
I've started to treat driving as a chance to see how far I can go without coming to a complete stop, same with the MC. As for cycling, I try and make it home without dabbing.
Anyway, ride safe everybody.
Funny thing is... most of us here ARE MC riders. We deal with the same stuff on the MC that I deal with on the bicycle. Difference being, I can't get out of the way using throttle. Empathy? Haven't seen much of it.

There are some unique challenges to being on a bicycle in traffic. The primary one is relative speeds. I'm hauling ass if I'm going 25-30mph on the flats. That's seriously slow on a MC or in a car. My typical cruising speed's a hair under 20mph.

Then add blind corners, crests of hills, etc. and you really get some fun. I'm lucky in that I get to ride out in the country during the week, during the day and still manage to have encounters with a few idiots now and again.

@BWalsh: no one's creamed me, or seriously tried to, in a few weeks. Not since I posted about the 2 right hooks.

@Hoo Rider: I haven't been forced off into a ditch, or off the road in the 20+ years I've been riding. Can't say it won't happen, but the way I end up riding (especially in traffic) seems to have prevented that. No, I don't ride as far to the right as I can, I'm usually in/near the right tire track of the cars. If I'm not quite that far out, I'm far enough out to give me some wiggle room if someone tries something stupid. (just like lane positioning on a MC)

M