Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #766
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
You want something constructive to do,pull your finger out and get my Husky Automatics front brake working,I am waiting.
Ok ur right
I'll go and pull it down now
Go to work
You riding on weekend
Maybe a two day dirt tour type ride next week
U coming

Cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #767
Rekd
Bitter Clinger

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnuke View Post
If there is a decent shoulder, we cyclists will probably be using it anyway,
That's funny stuff right there!

Around here they ride on the line or over it on a more-than-regular basis, even on roads where cars are doing 70 plus and there's enough room on the shoulder to park a semi. Not the brightest bunch around here, that's for sure.

I give them as much room as I can but I don't feel a bit sorry for their dumb asses when they ride the white line with MORE than enough room on the shoulder then get mad because cars go wizzing by them 3 feet away at 70mph.

I want to get a horn that yells "Scoot the fuck over, dumbass. It's called a bike lane for a reason!"
Rekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #768
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekd View Post

Around here they ride on the line or over it on a more-than-regular basis, even on roads where cars are doing 70 plus and there's enough room on the shoulder to park a semi. Not the brightest bunch around here, that's for sure.

I give them as much room as I can but I don't feel a bit sorry for their dumb asses when they ride the white line with MORE than enough room on the shoulder then get mad because cars go wizzing by them 3 feet away at 70mph.

I want to get a horn that yells "Scoot the fuck over, dumbass. It's called a bike lane for a reason!"
And I'd like to get a brick that says "learn the rules of the road dipshit" to toss through the windows of cars that feel the need to harass cyclists out of pure ignorance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_law

Quote:
Remaining on the edge of the roadway

Many laws require bicyclists to remain as far to the side of the roadway as practicable, in the normal direction of travel. Exceptions are common for preparing for a cross-traffic turn (right in most countries), going straight on the left side of a right-turn-only lane, avoiding hazards (like broken glass), and going the speed of other traffic. Another common exception is where there is no room for an automobile to safely pass (AKA taking the lane). Some of these laws specify distances, e.g., such as 1 metre from the kerb, or using no more 1/3 of the navigable lane. A notable exception to these kinds of laws is the United Kingdom, where vehicular equality means that cyclists are free to use the whole lane if desired, a position which is known as "The primary position", and encouraged in books such as Cyclecraft. The primary position places the cyclist better for turning right, reduces the danger from parked car door openings "dooring", from being squeezed by passing vehicles and integrates them better with the main traffic flow. However, it can create conflict with motor vehicle drivers, possibly from their perception of being delayed by the cyclist
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #769
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
I got into a whole mess of'm Saturday. I was riding near Cranfills Gap and there was a proverbial shit load of bicyclist covering every inch of the route. Must have been some rally or race out of Waco, probably saw a thousand of them. But to a person they were all aware of their surroundings and as you rolled up on them they moved right. What else was strange, they all waved when you passed them. I got kind of tired of that shit but it's all good.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #770
Rekd
Bitter Clinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
And I'd like to get a brick that says "learn the rules of the road dipshit" to toss through the windows of cars that feel the need to harass cyclists out of pure ignorance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_law
I guess you missed the part where I said I give the bicycles as much room as I can.

And for what it's worth, I was talking about the people chatting it up on the phone or doing their makeup while driving then looking up to see your dumb ass in traffic lanes flying at 70 mph (while there's 6 feet of bicycle lane right there) then either slamming into your because they couldn't react soon enough or flying into another lane or oncoming traffic where they hit another car.

Listening to people like you defend that stupid behavior makes me wonder if it's ignorance or selfishness or, God forbid, stupidity. What ever it is, car vs bicycle almost always results in /fail for bicycle. Forcing the issue is just stupid IMO.

Just sayin'.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #771
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,944
Quote:
(while there's 6 feet of bicycle lane right there)
A road shoulder(emergency lane) is not a bicycle lane and should not be used as such...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #772
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Listening to people like you defend the laws as they're written makes me wonder why I'm so ignorant, selfish, and stupid. What ever it is, car vs bicycle almost always results in /fail for bicycle, so you'd better stay the hell out of my way. If you're lucky, I might get a horn that yells "Scoot the fuck over, dumbass".
Fixed it for you.

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8

_CJ screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 02:51 PM
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #773
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
A road shoulder(emergency lane) is not a bicycle lane and should not be used as such...
Really? Why not?

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #774
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Really? Why not?
My bad. I was thinking of something different.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #775
singletrackslayer
Legalize singletrack

Oddometer: 428
Quote:

You must live in the same area as I do. Oh wait, you're in Cali and I'm in Colorado. Close enough.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #776
Rekd
Bitter Clinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrackslayer View Post
You must live in the same area as I do. Oh wait, you're in Cali and I'm in Colorado. Close enough.
Yeah, they're not very bright around here. Too much time in the sun is rotting their brains. If they spent a week riding on the other side of the road, into traffic, they would see the surprise on the cager's faces when they look up from their Mighty McSloppy Burger and Strawnilla flurry brain-freeze shake to see some dumb-ass out in traffic lanes on a bicycle doing a fraction of the speed of everyone around them.

Who knows, they might realize it's not a matter of people being mean, it's about other people being stupid trying to play chicken with unaware idiot cagers.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #777
singletrackslayer
Legalize singletrack

Oddometer: 428
Just the other day a friend of mine was making a right turn from a four way stop intersection. He had his right blinker on and was the only one at the intersection. He started turning right and a lady on a bike with her kid in a tag-a-long tried to pass on the right and hit him in his passanger door. At least no one was injured . . .
Old 05-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #778
Homey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Today I was riding my bike up a winding mountain (6%) grade at between 9-11mph when a CDF fire truck came around the corner just as a car came up from behind me. The person in the car slowed and waited for the truck to go the other way then accelerated past me. I waved thanks when she went by and she returned the wave. She could have easily squeezed between me and the double yellow line but she choose to wait a few seconds. Very nice. Later on a more open section of road a guy in a Mustang blew by me at about 90mph. He was nice enough to cross about half way into the other lane and give me lots of room. The way it should be.

I ride about 10,000+/-miles a year on my bicycle and in the last 20 years I can count 2 instances where I really got into it with a cage. 99+% of the people out there in cages, bicycles or motorcycles are just like you and me. All this bitching about this guy did this and that guy did that and this happened to a friend of mine is totally non-productive. Quit bitching, get on your motorcycle (this is a motorcycle forum so I assume you all have one) and go for a ride. If a bicycle holds you up for even a half a second on your motorcycle there is nothing any of us can do for you...
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:35 AM   #779
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
I guess you missed the part where I said I give the bicycles as much room as I can.

And for what it's worth, I was talking about the people chatting it up on the phone or doing their makeup while driving then looking up to see your dumb ass in traffic lanes flying at 70 mph (while there's 6 feet of bicycle lane right there) then either slamming into your because they couldn't react soon enough or flying into another lane or oncoming traffic where they hit another car.

Listening to people like you defend that stupid behavior makes me wonder if it's ignorance or selfishness or, God forbid, stupidity. What ever it is, car vs bicycle almost always results in /fail for bicycle. Forcing the issue is just stupid IMO.

Just sayin'.
Next time you see this happening spend a second and take a look at that "bike lane." It will be full of all the crap that is pushed to the edge of the road by cagers. It is often impossible to ride a road bike in the detritus that fills the portion of the road to the right of the white stripe. If this is the case you have no choice but to cheat to the white line, or over it,, and OBTW CA law gives a cyclist the right to do so... Now i know everyone will chime in and spout the never ending "just because you have the right to do so doesnt make you right when you are laying dead in the road," argument.. whatever... I rode thousands of miles around SoCal when I lived there.. I was aggressive in my style and I rode in the traffic lane when I needed to, based on road conditions... I am sure I pissed off a few cagers.. I lost no sleep over it and I feel that by being aggressive I made myself more visible to cagers and it certainly allowed me to control the situation. I never run stop lights or stop signs unless the road is deserted and there is no one waiting at the cross roads. Finally, I am not sure where you are driving in CA where there is a mixture of a legal 70mph speed limit and bicycles on the same road??
Old 05-17-2012, 05:57 AM   #780
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Next time you see this happening spend a second and take a look at that "bike lane." It will be full of all the crap that is pushed to the edge of the road by cagers. It is often impossible to ride a road bike in the detritus that fills the portion of the road to the right of the white stripe.
I hear this a lot. What roads are you guys choosing to ride on that the shoulders are so piled with crap that you can't ride on them? I bicycle a fair amount and even commuted via bicycle for about six years and I can count on one hand the number of times I was on a road too dirty to use the far shoulder....

So explain to me why, then, I see many bicyclists to the left side of the white lane when the shoulder is completely clean?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote