IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #782
Rekd
Bitter Clinger

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Next time you see this happening spend a second and take a look at that "bike lane." It will be full of all the crap that is pushed to the edge of the road by cagers.
I ride bicycles so I'm not just some cager pissed off at the stupid cyclists. In very rare occasions, yes, there is too much crap on the road to ride. But in Ca the bike lanes are huge and generally well maintained and clean.

90% of the cyclists I see riding IN LANES OF TRAFFIC are not doing it because it's too dangerous to ride IN the bike lane, they're doing it because they're either stupid or ignorant.

My thoughts are it is more stupidity than ignorance. Ignorant people know to stop at stop signs and red lights. Some of the same idiots I see riding in traffic have no issue running through red lights or not stopping at stop signs.

You want to be treated with respect? Start being respectful instead of threatening to brick someone's window if they get too close to your stupid ass. :twak:
Rekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #783
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I hear this a lot. What roads are you guys choosing to ride on that the shoulders are so piled with crap that you can't ride on them? I bicycle a fair amount and even commuted via bicycle for about six years and I can count on one hand the number of times I was on a road too dirty to use the far shoulder....

So explain to me why, then, I see many bicyclists to the left side of the white lane when the shoulder is completely clean?
Do you have a bottle deposit in your state? We don't. There's broken glass everywhere, even on the bike paths that are nowhere near a road. . Then there's the sand treatment our roads receive for snow. It covers the shoulders for about six months a year. They sweep it up for re-use in the spring, along with all the broken glass and then re-distribute it.

There's also a HUGE difference in general road quality from state to state. For some reason Colorado roads are narrow with little to no shoulder in many of the areas people are going to ride bikes.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #784
Rekd
Bitter Clinger

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
There's also a HUGE difference in general road quality from state to state. For some reason Colorado roads are narrow with little to no shoulder in many of the areas people are going to ride bikes.
And there is NOTHING fun or healthy about riding in conditions like that. Buy a stinkin' car.
Rekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #785
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
And there is NOTHING fun or healthy about riding in conditions like that. Buy a stinkin' car.
What happens if you already own at least one? I don't want to be old, fat, and miserable so I deal with idiots in cars.

We'll put it this way: I have had a few pairs of wheels that ran $1500+. Then add tires at $80/ea. End up hitting a hole 'just wrong' and you get to pay out the nose. I don't expect you to hit potholes in your car, why expect me to ride my wheels that are MORE expensive in the crap?

M
Old 05-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #786
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Quote:
SFPD officers have taken to setting up camp at the red light-protected pedestrian crosswalks along Market Street and pulling over any bikers neglecting to come to a full stop. They've also begun a similar practice at stop signs along the Wiggle.
Quote:
However, Fitzgibbons argues that the recent enforcements practiced by SFPD sweep up far too many bikers safely making their daily commutes. "The only real way to deal with the issue is to change the law," he said, explaining that it would be smart to allow for a "rolling stops" system. In Idaho, for example, cyclists are allowed to treat stop signs as yields and pay a fine when they don't abide.
Wait, so bikes shouldn't have to follow the rules of the road? Bikes can do rolling stops, but cars can't?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #787
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Wait, so bikes shouldn't have to follow the rules of the road? Bikes can do rolling stops, but cars can't?

Jim

they are special

IBA 22425
Old 05-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #788
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post

interesting reading in the comments section.

seems there are quite a few cyclists in SF who understand the concept of actually sharing (as opposed to self-righteously hogging) the road and are trying to enlighten their fellow bicyclists. kudos to them.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #789
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Really? Why not?
At least here in PA, often times the surface to the right of the white line is un-rideable for anything but a full suspension mountain bike. If you're on a skinny-tire road bike, forget it -- too damned rough, and often lots of gravel. Oh, and on a lot of the roads I ride, there is about 6-12" of paved surfaee to the right of the white line, and that often goes to zero abruptly. Add to that the stupid continuous drunk-alert rumble strip on that white line that will vibrate you right off your bikek when you cross it, and I often just end up staying just to the left of the white line. It is hard to notice these differences when blasting down the road on your car (or motorcycle) at 55-60 MPH.

Other states are different. Our neighboring state to the south, Maryland has wonderful biking lanes, often with a 6-8 foot wide smooth paved shoulder that is a joy to ride on -- which I do use if I'm lucky enough to be on such a road.
Honda: 01 VFR800, 93 VFR400R(NC30), plus many vintage Hondas.
Scooters: 2007 Vespa GTS250ie, 2009 Kymco Agility 125
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #790
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I hear this a lot. What roads are you guys choosing to ride on that the shoulders are so piled with crap that you can't ride on them? I bicycle a fair amount and even commuted via bicycle for about six years and I can count on one hand the number of times I was on a road too dirty to use the far shoulder....

So explain to me why, then, I see many bicyclists to the left side of the white lane when the shoulder is completely clean?
Um... the road that I LIVE ON. Which I need to ride to get to anywhere else. What should I do, load my bicycle into the car, and drive to Maryland (from Hershey, PA) to find a road with a safe shoulder, every time I want to ride?
Honda: 01 VFR800, 93 VFR400R(NC30), plus many vintage Hondas.
Scooters: 2007 Vespa GTS250ie, 2009 Kymco Agility 125
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #791
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
I own four, thanks.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #792
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

Jim
Jealous?

I'm sure you've never gone even one mile over the speed limit though....or rolled a stop sign when nobody was around. :

Weather or not a particular cyclist does or does not break the law is none of your concern. Mind your own business and quit trying to control what others do. You can only control your own actions and how you respond to others actions. Bitching and moaning about it isn't going to improve the quality of your life, or change the behavior of others. I can guarantee your argument won't hold water when you're standing in front of the judge trying to defend yourself for the harassment or assault of a cyclist.

_CJ screwed with this post 05-17-2012 at 11:20 AM
Old 05-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #793
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Quote:
it would be smart to allow for a "rolling stops" system. In Idaho, for example, cyclists are allowed to treat stop signs as yields and pay a fine when they don't abide.
Jesus, I wish that were the law everywhere. It would negate 90+% of the gripes I hear from drivers.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #794
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
so...

a car is stopped at a stop sign at an intersection with 4 way stop signs.

a bike is approaching from the right or left.

does the car have to assume the bike is going to only do a rolling stop, not actually stop, and blow through the intersection. does the car have to wait for the bike to go first?

if the car does not wait, but the bike does not actually stop, so the bike ends up t-boning the car as the car starts through the intersection because the bike did not stop, whose fault is it?

obviously, in reality, it is the bike's fault. but how will the courts rule if this rolling stop law goes into effect? how many people in this thread will blame the car...maybe throw some bricks at it?
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #795
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Jealous?

Weather or not a particular cyclist does or does not break the law is none of your concern. Mind your own business, quit trying to control what others do. You can only control your own actions and how you respond to others actions. Bitching and moaning about it isn't going to improve the quality of your life, or change the behavior of others. I can guarantee your argument won't hold water when you're standing in front of the judge trying to defend yourself for the harassment or assault of a cyclist.

I would only suggest what JVB does may be none of your concern, quit trying to control others and worry about your own shit.

IBA 22425