ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 06:20 AM   #811
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead
 
mrt10x's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 3,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
First of all, thanks for your service.

I don't think it's the 'majority' of riders, but it is getting very close to half around here. It's a lot. If you see more than a couple of single riders on a commute it's a sure bet one of them will be out in traffic or damned close to it when they've got plenty of room.

And I'm not talking about people that come out into traffic to avoid a hazard on the lane every mile. I'm talking about riding out there.

As to your last statement, you're wrong (at least in my case). I do all three so my gripe is with general stupidity. Including my own some times when I get on my wife's bike (GSXR600) and go much faster than I should be. At least I was smart enough to buy myself a slow commuter (KLR650) because I know I'm being stupid and do things to reduce the level of stupidity.

The cyclists around here are getting stupider. Not smarter.
Dam I knew someone would quote me before I had the chance to break that diatribe up into paragraphs
__________________
We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #812
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
No. They're not rare at all. They're stinkin' everywhere. On average they're wide enough for two bikes side by side with plenty of room to spare.

And the idiots that ride outside the oversized bike lanes without cause are not rare either.
I've ridden around SoCal extensively. Even there its only the leftmost 6-12" of bike lane that's actually usable. Lots and lots of crap that people driving (and evidently riding MCs) don't see. Broken glass. Gravel. Nasties.

...and guess where lots of manhole covers live?!

Here in the DC area, there's no such thing as a bike lane. None. You either take your spot in the lane and the cars can go around, or you get run over. I'll pick the former. Hurts less.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #813
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Dam I knew someone would quote me before I had the chance to break that diatribe up into paragraphs
I've been beating the same dead horse since I got here.

The 'get off my road ya spandex wearing faggot' types don't get it. Probably never will.

...but it doesn't stop me from trying.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #814
markk53
jack of all trades...
 
markk53's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Delaware Ohio
Oddometer: 7,426
Fact: Bicycles are entitled to their lane of the road depending on speeds in some cases
Fact: Cars weigh a whole lot more than bicycles
Fact: Bicycles lose in a war for space
Fact: If more spandex wearing dumb asses would learn the above three facts and learn to hold their line near the inside and signal their intentions we'd all live longer.

I was behind a few riders, one was a spandex wearing dumb ass that couldn't keep from weaving over about an 18-36" range while following the rider who apparently understood the above facts. This is on a heavily travelled two lane 50 mph roadway. Clearly the dumb ass doesn't want to live long... maybe his relatives can get a refund on the Livestrong bracelet.
__________________
Ever get lost? You know, that good kind of lost - come to a dirt road intersection and you have no idea where you are or which way to turn? I like when that happens!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #815
Rekd
Bitter Clinger
 
Rekd's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
That's a fact.

For the record I rarely wear spandex. I'm generally on a mountain bike with baggy shorts and a 9mm in my pocket.

Today for example, I was approaching a stop sign with the intention of turning left. Typical overweight middle aged white guy in a pickup swerves around me and turns right without even remotely slowing for the stop sign. If I had not slowed my roll in anticipation of what what about to happen, he would have hit me.....and while I was laying unconscious on the ground he would have told the cops (if he even bothered to stop), "it's not my fault, the fuck'n turtle-head road straight into the side of my truck".

You should have shot his dumb ass. Use the stand your ground rule.

Rekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #816
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow
 
LuciferMutt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: New(er) Mexico
Oddometer: 10,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
That's a fact.

For the record I rarely wear spandex. I'm generally on a mountain bike with baggy shorts and a 9mm in my pocket.




That'll sure help when somebody runs you over from behind.
__________________
You couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitro glycerin plant!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #817
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
He does make a legitimate point,
Unless you have been granted authority by the state or federal government, you don't have the right to act upon your opinions of others actions, and more than likely you would be committing a crime to do so.
That would be vigilante-ism (sp?) Nothing that I do gives you the right to retaliate. Nothing. If it bothers you that much, call the cops. They're the ones designated by society to deal with infractions.

Quote:
To play devils advocate,
It is true that bicycles do have the right to use the road unless specifically prohibited or restricted, but like any other vehicle, that right is contingent on not causing undue disruption to other users, or creating a safety hazard. The "right thing" is a judgment call subject to conditions, but one you may only make for yourself, not for others.

The "right" to use the road is not cartE blanch to do as you please without regard to others just because it suits your needs or desires.
To a cager a disruption or safety hazard can be a cyclist taking the lane to prevent a bigger safety hazard aka passing into an unsafe situation. I do that pretty frequently actually: I was out the other day on a shop ride and a guy in a truck was coming up behind us. Wanted to pass around a blind corner at the crest of the hill. So I moved pretty much into the center of the road. IF you're going around, you're going around completely on the other side of the road.

As soon as I could see it was clear for him to go round, I moved back over and waved him past.

Was I an asshat? Yup.

Was it safer for him to wait 30-45sec for me to see if it was safe? Yup.

Mind you, I'm not saying that there aren't situations that cyclists are being asshats, but overall, its the cars that are the problems not the cyclists.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #818
singletrackslayer
Legalize singletrack
 
singletrackslayer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Morningwood, CO
Oddometer: 458
Come on everybody! Sing along!

This is the thread that never ends!

Yes it goes on and on my friends!

Somebody started it, not knowing what it was!

Now it goes on and on, just cause!

__________________
This is Motorado . . .
singletrackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #819
BeerIsGood
Guest
 
Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrackslayer View Post
This is the thread that never ends!

Yes it goes on and on my friends!

Somebody started it, not knowing what it was!

Now it goes on and on, just cause!

Second verse:

Yeah, yeah, bicycles suck!
Yeah, yeah, truck drivers suck!
Yeah, yeah, people suck!

Weekends here!
Grab a can of beer!
and check out the boobies at the Viking Fest in Poulsbo!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #820
windmill
Beastly Adventurer
 
windmill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kent, Washington State
Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

Mind you, I'm not saying that there aren't situations that cyclists are being asshats, but overall, its the cars that are the problems not the cyclists.

M
The problem isn't bicycles or cars, It's asshats.

Cars will seem to be the problem simply because there are far more of them on the road.

The other day I was sitting at a stop light in my truck (semi) all 3 lanes are left turn and the right lane I was in is left or straight. A cyclist pulls up in the center lane next to me, he looks up at me, smiles, and asks which way I am going, I tell him straight. He nods and makes some small talk about the weather, the light changes and we go on our way.

It was a present and productive encounter, he took possession of the center lane and showed consideration for others at the same time. He exercised his rights thoughtfully.

Ride, drive, or cycle looking for trouble and you will find it guaranteed. Ride, drive, or cycle trying to avoid trouble and most likely you will avoid it. Ride, drive, or cycle with the attitude that you can force others to do what you want, and you will end up a statistic.

Like the old saying goes,
You reap what you sow.
__________________
"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #821
Rekd
Bitter Clinger
 
Rekd's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
It was a present and productive encounter, he took possession of the center lane and showed consideration for others at the same time. He exercised his rights thoughtfully.
Sounds like he wasn't sure which way you were going because you didn't have your blinker on. He did the smart thing and verified, in a polite way, when he had the chance.
Rekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #822
Onederer
Crunch Nugget
 
Onederer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Baha
Oddometer: 681
This thread reminds me of why I don't wave just because someone else is on a motorcycle while I am riding mine.
__________________
Crusier riders dress like pirates, sport bike riders dress like Power Rangers and adventure riders dress like Starship Troopers. Dual sport riders are just fashion disasters.
Onederer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #823
markk53
jack of all trades...
 
markk53's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Delaware Ohio
Oddometer: 7,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
The problem isn't bicycles or cars, It's asshats.

Cars will seem to be the problem simply because there are far more of them on the road.

The other day I was sitting at a stop light in my truck (semi) all 3 lanes are left turn and the right lane I was in is left or straight. A cyclist pulls up in the center lane next to me, he looks up at me, smiles, and asks which way I am going, I tell him straight. He nods and makes some small talk about the weather, the light changes and we go on our way.

It was a present and productive encounter, he took possession of the center lane and showed consideration for others at the same time. He exercised his rights thoughtfully.

Ride, drive, or cycle looking for trouble and you will find it guaranteed. Ride, drive, or cycle trying to avoid trouble and most likely you will avoid it. Ride, drive, or cycle with the attitude that you can force others to do what you want, and you will end up a statistic.

Like the old saying goes,
You reap what you sow.
Unless you're a seamstress or tailor then you reap what you sew...

You hit my point exacty. One doofus who can't control his bicycle and seems to forget cars behind him weigh 4000 lb. as he wobbles around then decides to go to the center of the lane totally unnecessarily. The rider in front of him held a good tight line close to the side of the road as should be done (apparently he knew "the facts" I mention). It isn't that hard, I know, I ride.

If that jerk had been in a real bike race or a relatively competitive ride, either another rider would have kicked his ass off the road or he'd have taken out about a dozen riders, then got his ass kicked.

I see so many of these yuppie (yes, that's the kind of area I live in and they are aging) spandex covered chubs out there doing their best Lance Armstrong immitation on their $2000 carbon fiber or aluminum framed whatevers (nice bikes, not knocking them) without a clue of how to hold a line on a bicycle. I follow these wobble-fests in complete wonderment of how these geeks haven't gotten killed or maimed yet. I really resist the urge to do what I heard one guy in a criterium race yell at some "wanderer" in a corner - "Hold your fucking line, asshole!" I thought it was really suscinct and quite well put.

Heck, I wouldn't even try to ride the road that wobbler I followed was riding unless I had to, due to the soccer moms and cell phone addicts who travel them with reckless abandon. I figure if I tried to ride to work (teacher) on that road for only 7 miles, I'd either be hit or run off the road before the year was out, probably within the first month. I wouldn't ride a motorcycle or scooter that can't do at least 50 mph because of these asshats to borrow the term. Same idiots get on bicycles and don't have a clue.

You are right - it's not the vehicle, it's the operator.
__________________
Ever get lost? You know, that good kind of lost - come to a dirt road intersection and you have no idea where you are or which way to turn? I like when that happens!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #824
Rekd
Bitter Clinger
 
Rekd's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
You are right - it's not the vehicle, it's the operator.
This is true. It just amazes me that someone so vulnerable can be so ignorant or foolish (meaning the ones that do it on purpose).
Rekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #825
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
You took it upon yourself to play traffic cop?

Really?

You're an idiot and are going to get run the fuck over some day.
No, I took it upon myself to make sure that despite someone else's intentions of being unsafe, all of us stayed safe.

Its the times when I *haven't* made sure of my own safety that it bites me in the ass.

...I'm sure I'll get run over one of these days. Its been 20+ years so far and it hasn't happened, so I'll keep on doing what I've been doing. Seems to be working.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014