Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #826
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
Sounds like he wasn't sure which way you were going because you didn't have your blinker on. He did the smart thing and verified, in a polite way, when he had the chance.
Over the years, I've warned a lot of people they've got lights out, things hanging off, etc. that they hadn't a clue about. They've all been appreciative.

I do get a look when I motion for em to roll down the window tho.

M
Old 05-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #827
Rekd
Bitter Clinger

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
No, I took it upon myself to make sure that despite someone else's intentions of being unsafe, all of us stayed safe.

Its the times when I *haven't* made sure of my own safety that it bites me in the ass.

...I'm sure I'll get run over one of these days. Its been 20+ years so far and it hasn't happened, so I'll keep on doing what I've been doing. Seems to be working.

M
Hope it works out for you. Just keep in mind that there's a good possibility that someone won't see you even though your intentions are good and there's the possibility that you will trigger road rage on some guy that's already late for his starbucks or what have you.

Quote:
Over the years, I've warned a lot of people they've got lights out, things hanging off, etc. that they hadn't a clue about. They've all been appreciative.

I do get a look when I motion for em to roll down the window tho.

M
I've gotten some weird looks too. Scared the crap out of one lady when I tapped on her window to tell her a brake light was out. She bolted through the light.
Rekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #828
BeerIsGood

Oddometer: n/a
You damn kids need to keep off my lawn!!!!
Old 05-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #829
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Hope it works out for you. Just keep in mind that there's a good possibility that someone won't see you even though your intentions are good and there's the possibility that you will trigger road rage on some guy that's already late for his starbucks or what have you.
Like I said: I've been riding the same way for over 20 years. Its working, so I'll keep at it.

Quote:
I've gotten some weird looks too. Scared the crap out of one lady when I tapped on her window to tell her a brake light was out. She bolted through the light.
I can only think that they think yer about to bitch em out for something. If you haven't done anything, what am I gonna bitch about?!

M
Old 05-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #830
Rekd
Bitter Clinger

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
If you haven't done anything, what am I gonna bitch about?!

M
Many probably realize they're ignorant enough that they did something and didn't even see you or realize it.
Rekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:42 AM   #831
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,495
Quote:
This is true. It just amazes me that someone so vulnerable can be so ignorant or foolish (meaning the ones that do it on purpose).

On both kinds of two wheelers. I'm amazed at how arrogant some motorcyclists talk about riding. I will try to take the space I need, but you darn well better believe I still realize that 4 wheel vehicle has a lot more "influence" than I do. I WILL be ready to get the heck out of the way! Having right-of-way doesn't mean much when you end up splattered.

Some riders here should realize the way they are talking about bicyclists may just be the way a lot of car/truck drivers talk about them.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #832
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Some riders here should realize the way they are talking about bicyclists may just be the way a lot of car/truck drivers talk about them.
Good luck trying to get em to listen.

We're ALL painted with the same brush whether we're on moto- or pedal- powered bikes.

M
Old 05-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #833
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
I read one of your posts a few days ago. Do yourself a favor... don't bother writing anything to me, I won't be reading it. All I get out of your posts is carriage return infested blathering that probably sounds really cute in your head but is difficult to read at best. Quite frankly, when I read your post it gave me a headache.

Not trying to be offensive, just saying I'm not going to read your posts.

Later.
no later
you cutie
illilititerate
asprin
troll?
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #834
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
What I am a little surprised at is the combative attitude from other two wheel travelers.
Reminded me of

But as a fellow San Diegan rider and cyclist, amen. We all need to watch out for each other. I refuse to wear spandex though.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #835
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,495
Quote:
Good luck trying to get em to listen.

We're ALL painted with the same brush whether we're on moto- or pedal- powered bikes.

M

Or car/truck. We have to remember the sheer volume of vehicles we pass that do NOT interfere with each other. It is the classic thing, remembering only the idiots, not the good. Kind of like how others view (not literally) excessively loud bikes and equate all bikes with loud ones.

Still, if we didn't bitch about them or something else we wouldn't have much to talk about.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #836
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Still, if we didn't bitch about them or something else we wouldn't have much to talk about.
Despite the idiots, there's still the other 99% plus on the roads that pass safely with little/no drama. S'why I'll post up: 'no idiots on the road today*' posts.

M

*myself excluded. I'm always an idiot whether I'm on the road or not!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #837
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer View Post
This thread reminds me of why I don't wave just because someone else is on a motorcycle while I am riding mine.

Exactly, the "brother" giving me a thumbs up today is quite likely the same asshole cutting me off and giving me the finger in his minivan tomorrow!

I've read this thread off & on for a while. Like many of you I drive a car, a commercial vehicle, and ride both motorcycles & bicycles. I honestly try to maintain the same integrity when piloting all of these vehicles, namely respect for others. Sometimes it's tough. For example, I'll see cyclists owning a lane on a rural road w/ little to no traffic and immediately think- asshole! Later I may ride that same stretch & see the road hazard they were avoiding!

I'll admit to the other side of the coin too. The other day @ noon I went out pedaling & was surprised and glad to encounter extremely light traffic on a rural but relatively major state road . I was utilizing the very large shoulder which is a designated bike lane when I heard cycle engines. Few seconds later a 'wing passed me, travelling the same direction, middle of his lane. Several seconds later another 'wing passes riding just about on the white line, clearing me by maybe a foot in all my hi viz glory! (no spandex)
Probably target fixation. But w/ my cyclist hat on I didn't see that, I saw-asshole!

There was a traffic signal maybe 200 yds up the road turned red; both bikes and a car were stopped as I approached
& the light turned green. Since my route was a right turn, I took the shoulder; scared the shit out of the guy who had buzzed me & frankly, it was not 100% unintentional. I heard him shout "asshole" over the din of his radio; the irony did not escape me.

My point is we are all capable of acting like a complete and utter asshole, and most of us often do. It's all a matter of perspective.

Bottom line, the other "asshole" is a person just like you except in his mind he isn't the asshole...
Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #838
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
Exactly, the "brother" giving me a thumbs up today is quite likely the same asshole cutting me off and giving me the finger in his minivan tomorrow!

I've read this thread off & on for a while. Like many of you I drive a car, a commercial vehicle, and ride both motorcycles & bicycles. I honestly try to maintain the same integrity when piloting all of these vehicles, namely respect for others. Sometimes it's tough. For example, I'll see cyclists owning a lane on a rural road w/ little to no traffic and immediately think- asshole! Later I may ride that same stretch & see the road hazard they were avoiding!

I'll admit to the other side of the coin too. The other day @ noon I went out pedaling & was surprised and glad to encounter extremely light traffic on a rural but relatively major state road . I was utilizing the very large shoulder which is a designated bike lane when I heard cycle engines. Few seconds later a 'wing passed me, travelling the same direction, middle of his lane. Several seconds later another 'wing passes riding just about on the white line, clearing me by maybe a foot in all my hi viz glory! (no spandex)
Probably target fixation. But w/ my cyclist hat on I didn't see that, I saw-asshole!

There was a traffic signal maybe 200 yds up the road turned red; both bikes and a car were stopped as I approached
& the light turned green. Since my route was a right turn, I took the shoulder; scared the shit out of the guy who had buzzed me & frankly, it was not 100% unintentional. I heard him shout "asshole" over the din of his radio; the irony did not escape me.

My point is we are all capable of acting like a complete and utter asshole, and most of us often do. It's all a matter of perspective.

Bottom line, the other "asshole" is a person just like you except in his mind he isn't the asshole...
Good post. I've had run ins with assholes while on my bicycle, motorcycles and driving my cars. They are everywhere, and sometimes I am the asshole.
Having patience and a forget-about-it-no-harm/no foul attitude on the road is a very difficult thing to do but entirely necessary!

I will admit to buzzing a cyclist while riding my favorite twisty on Saturday morning. Empty road, clean shoulder, tight hairpin on a BLIND corner and where is this guy? A foot to the left of the white line, RIGHT where I want my apex to be. I'm leaning into the corner, looking far through it and I see this turkey up ahead. I could have changed my line to give him a lot more space...but I didn't. I purposely decided not to and passed quite close to him (maybe a few feet) while leaned pretty far over. Felt bad about it for the rest of the day -- but I wonder where I would have been on that corner on my bicycle. Hopefully not to the left of the white line but who knows...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka

LuciferMutt screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 09:18 AM
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #839
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

I try real hard to not let someone else's asshatedness affect MY attitude. Unless someone's being a overt asshat, I let it wash over me. Its not MY karma that's being abused.

I'll get momentarily aggravated, but its not worth being mad over any longer than the instant in which something happens.

One though is: why would you give someone else the power to make you mad? This is especially important when you know they're just looking to get a rise out of you to justify their actions. (if that makes sense)

This works pretty much everywhere in life: arguments wtih the SO, driving, riding, etc. Just because *you're* pissed doesn't mean *I* have to be!

As an added benefit to the discussion at hand: if you don't get pissed at them for doing something asshatted, they get even madder because you're not playing into their hands. As someone does something stupid, I don't (tend to) flip em off or start shouting I'll just shake my head as if I'm disappointed at em. ...because I am!

M
Old 05-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #840
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I will admit to buzzing a cyclist while riding my favorite twisty on Saturday morning. Empty road, clean shoulder, tight hairpin on a BLIND corner and where is this guy? A foot to the left of the white line, RIGHT where I want my apex to be. I'm leaning into the corner, looking far through it and I see this turkey up ahead. I could have changed my line to give him a lot more space...but I didn't. I purposely decided not to and passed quite close to him (maybe a few feet) while leaned pretty far over. Felt bad about it for the rest of the day -- but I wonder where I would have been on that corner on my bicycle. Hopefully not to the left of the white line but who knows...
Now why would you want to do that around a blind corner?! Who knows WTF is coming.

You know as well as I do that a cyclist can hear something coming LONG before its actually right there. That goes for something coming around corners or over hills too.

I don't mind you risking YOUR life riding that death machine, but you don't have the right to risk MY life too! Maybe that's the key to my behavior: You wanna be stupid on your own dime, great! Just don't bring me into it too!

M