How not to kill a cyclist

M
Old 05-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #842
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
Exactly, the "brother" giving me a thumbs up today is quite likely the same asshole cutting me off and giving me the finger in his minivan tomorrow!

I've read this thread off & on for a while. Like many of you I drive a car, a commercial vehicle, and ride both motorcycles & bicycles. I honestly try to maintain the same integrity when piloting all of these vehicles, namely respect for others. Sometimes it's tough. For example, I'll see cyclists owning a lane on a rural road w/ little to no traffic and immediately think- asshole! Later I may ride that same stretch & see the road hazard they were avoiding!

I'll admit to the other side of the coin too. The other day @ noon I went out pedaling & was surprised and glad to encounter extremely light traffic on a rural but relatively major state road . I was utilizing the very large shoulder which is a designated bike lane when I heard cycle engines. Few seconds later a 'wing passed me, travelling the same direction, middle of his lane. Several seconds later another 'wing passes riding just about on the white line, clearing me by maybe a foot in all my hi viz glory! (no spandex)
Probably target fixation. But w/ my cyclist hat on I didn't see that, I saw-asshole!

There was a traffic signal maybe 200 yds up the road turned red; both bikes and a car were stopped as I approached
& the light turned green. Since my route was a right turn, I took the shoulder; scared the shit out of the guy who had buzzed me & frankly, it was not 100% unintentional. I heard him shout "asshole" over the din of his radio; the irony did not escape me.

My point is we are all capable of acting like a complete and utter asshole, and most of us often do. It's all a matter of perspective.

Bottom line, the other "asshole" is a person just like you except in his mind he isn't the asshole...
+1, great post, what i was try to say in an earlier post,
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #843
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,777
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #844
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Boy, this looked so familiar - then, I did recognize NJ license plates.

I must say that the author of the video was super polite and restrained. Impressive!

A while back a car cut us off (on our tandem bike) during a left turn - and yelled at as to boot. I followed him into a supermarket parking lot, intent on deflating his tires, but could not find the asshole. Also, my wife on the rear seat was not happy about my revenge plans...
I do get road rage sometimes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post

rdwalker screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 08:01 PM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #845
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
+1, great post, what i was try to say in an earlier post,
Was that a real sentence?????

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #846
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Was that a real sentence?????

Jim
dearest jimmy

you are a non person
stop picking on my disabilities
its like me calling you fat
because ur obese
i would not do this
u r a troll
or maybe 4eyes as u wear glasses

no offense meant
imho
2c
lol

cheers

ps. Can I pls have one of your dvd's ?
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:58 AM   #847
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post

Age has little to do with intelligence or common sense as seen here by the people in the car listening to the bike riders who may be 20-30 years younger than them, give them a scolding.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #848
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,403
I loved the chase scene. It reminds me of chasing my kids around the house to put them to bed. They get away for awhile, but eventually their bad decisions catch up to them.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #849
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
There was a traffic signal maybe 200 yds up the road turned red; both bikes and a car were stopped as I approached
& the light turned green. Since my route was a right turn, I took the shoulder; scared the shit out of the guy who had buzzed me & frankly, it was not 100% unintentional. I heard him shout "asshole" over the din of his radio; the irony did not escape me.

My point is we are all capable of acting like a complete and utter asshole, and most of us often do. It's all a matter of perspective.

Bottom line, the other "asshole" is a person just like you except in his mind he isn't the asshole...

Should'a shouted back "Glad to meet you Asshole!"

I guess he had that "whole world revolves around me" attitude some riders have.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #850
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,452
Only one idiot on the road today.

Old dood on a cruiser bike is headed down a fairly busy road and I'm aimed towards him on the other side (on the 12" wide shoulder)

Numbnutz in a blue Dodge p/u decides he needs to blow his air horns at me AFTER he'd passed old dood and AS he was passing me.

Uhhh yeah. Thanks. WTF?! What did I do to you?! I'm not even on the same farging side of the road! Take yer limp johnson home and beat yer wife ya mouth breathing inbred!

M
Old 05-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #851
BeerIsGood

Oddometer: n/a
It's funny but this thread and all of the shit that followed actually started with this question:

What is the proper way to pass a bicyclist going in the same direction that you are?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #852
Rekd
Bitter Clinger

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerIsGood View Post
It's funny but this thread and all of the shit that followed actually started with this question:

What is the proper way to pass a bicyclist going in the same direction that you are?
That's easy... you come around the corner doing just about the speed limit then see the bicycle out in traffic lanes trying to avoid what looks like a patch of grass in part of the 56 inch wide bike lane (which just might be hiding something more sinister and evil just waiting to pop an innocent bicycle tire), hard on the brakes pitching it sideways then back the other way to whip the tale around the cyclist at the last minute, then grabbing a hand full of e-brake to straighten out the ensuing fishtailing and proceed to the stop sign where the cyclist rides up and throws a brick in your windshield for almost running him over.

Well, that's one perspective.
Rekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #853
BeerIsGood

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
That's easy... you come around the corner doing just about the speed limit then see the bicycle out in traffic lanes trying to avoid what looks like a patch of grass in part of the 56 inch wide bike lane (which just might be hiding something more sinister and evil just waiting to pop an innocent bicycle tire), hard on the brakes pitching it sideways then back the other way to whip the tale around the cyclist at the last minute, then grabbing a hand full of e-brake to straighten out the ensuing fishtailing and proceed to the stop sign where the cyclist rides up and throws a brick in your windshield for almost running him over.

Well, that's one perspective.
Wow. That's some drivin' Tex. And a brick to the window? That's one bad ass cyclist too.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #854
fuelish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
No real cyclist carries a brick, to heavy. We have a handful of broken sparkplug porcelain, lighter and more effective.
fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #855
Rekd
Bitter Clinger

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerIsGood View Post
Wow. That's some drivin' Tex.
I didn't even spill meh beer.

Rekd is offline   Reply With Quote