Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #1141
Rekd
Bitter Clinger

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
We're all second-class citizens on the road
...Yet you continue to try to force your will on people that can easily albeit accidentally kill you dead.

BRILLIANT!

Rekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #1142
Rekd
Bitter Clinger

I just gotta tell ya, whether I'm riding or peddling I do NOT use myself to force cages to slow down. It's just stupid. If I can take an advantage on a moto I might do it but NOT if I have to try to force others around me to slow down, EVEN IF IT'S DONE LEGALLY.

Again, (and stop me if you've heard this) it's just stupid.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #1143
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
...Yet you continue to try to force your will on people that can easily albeit accidentally kill you dead.

BRILLIANT!

What's the alternative?

Give me a good way to prevent people from going around me when its not safe and I'll gladly get the funk out of the middle of the road

M
Old 06-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #1144
Rekd
Bitter Clinger

Quote:
What's the alternative?

Give me a good way to prevent people from going around me when its not safe and I'll gladly get the funk out of the middle of the road

M
Part of me wants to say if you're too stupid to figure out how to stay the fuck out of cars' way and not impede traffic you got no business being anywhere near traffic, but I digress and I'll try to make this very simple... when I was a kid my parents taught me how to walk and ride things like bikes and skates (yeah, the ones with the clay wheels that would grind to a halt any time you hit the smallest of pebbles) and in doing so they taught me about cars: They're big and they're driven by people that don't pay attention. "Yes, son" they would say, "you might be in the cross walk or on the sidewalk, but that won't stop a car from darting out of their lane and in to you. You GOT to pay attention, boy!"

And I did. I make a concerted effort to pay attention to where I place myself and which roads I ride on. I don't ride bicycles on roads that, while they may have so-called bike lanes, a bike has no business being on. There are even a few places I would never ride a motorcycle, though that list is considerably smaller considering the ability to power out of many issues with idiots.

It's really simple and yet you continue to trumpet the "we have every right to be there" when in reality it's just not safe. On top of that you force your will on others then get mad and resort to violence when they show any amount of frustration or, heaven forbid, honestly didn't see you.

Your family must be so proud.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #1145
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I don't know about this logic. What I think you are saying here is that commaradere is based on the number of wheel on which a person travels.

By this line of reasoning, segways, bicycles and motorcycles should all be in agreement.

Cars, trucks, wheelchairs, skateboards, and ATV's don't like group number 1, and are out to kill them.

Trike conversions, side hacks, and BMW Isettas, like Switzerland, are neutral.

I can see a few similarities, but the vast majority of MC riders realize that the general public may not see them, but few feel like the general public is out to get them like bicyclists.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #1146
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

In short: you have zero relative experience.

Gotcha

I've written repeatedly about my experiences 'staying out of the way.' It ends up worse than if ride assertively. This is 20 years of experience are talking here not some n00b that just started riding.

...but keep on thinking that riding yer kiddy bike is like riding a road bike out on the road.

M
Old 06-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #1147
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
In short: you have zero relative experience.

Gotcha

I've written repeatedly about my experiences 'staying out of the way.' It ends up worse than if ride assertively. This is 20 years of experience are talking here not some n00b that just started riding.

...but keep on thinking that riding yer kiddy bike is like riding a road bike out on the road.

M
Are you talking to me?

Hate to tell you, I rode for many years before I quit for big boy bikes.

I have recently restarted, but the experience is no different.

Jim
Old 06-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #1148
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Are you talking to me?

Hate to tell you, I rode for many years before I quit for big boy bikes.

I have recently restarted, but the experience is no different.

Jim
Not you Jim. You posted in the middle of my answer.

One thing that puzzles me about the post I was answering is why wouldn't you ride yer mc everywhere? I personally can't think of any paved road I wouldn't take a GS-Adv on.

The answer (in my case) as to why I feel like cars are out to get me are the times I've been hit and/or had em attempt to run me over and all I can do is take it.

M
Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #1149
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:

One thing that puzzles me about the post I was answering is why wouldn't you ride yer mc everywhere? I personally can't think of any paved road I wouldn't take a GS-Adv on.

The answer (in my case) as to why I feel like cars are out to get me are the times I've been hit and/or had em attempt to run me over and all I can do is take it.

M

Jim
Old 06-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #1150
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
Quite a few nice bicycle trails where I live. I've put some thought into getting a bicycle so I could enjoy them, especially since my daughter wants to learn how to ride (finally.. she's 9 and has never shown any interest until recently). Would be a good father/daughter activity.
Absolutely, I have an 11 year old son and the trail is a great way to introduce them to cycling, much cheaper then MX too. We enjoy it a lot. We have to really watch out for the triathlete groups, head in the bars hauling ass, they think they are the only ones out there. I have had 3 bay flights so far ( 8 years) so not too bad. Only one death and that was a lady triathlete with no lid. Everyone thinks they are Lance in July. Now that he heading for Kona all the weekend warriors are buying time trial bikes. Half need stearing dampers lol. Could be on to something there, dampers for bicycles ?
Old 06-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #1151
FFLTR
nandesuka

Oddometer: 140
Quote:

M
So your way is working then?
FFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #1152
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

I can see a few similarities, but the vast majority of MC riders realize that the general public may not see them, but few feel like the general public is out to get them like bicyclists.

Jim
I've been on a motorcycle for about 6 years, road cycling for slightly less than 1. Hour for hour, minute for minute, people try to kill me about the same number of times on a motorcycle as on a bicycle, in similar traffic. Most of the time they just aren't paying any attention, but there were a few times on the bicycle where it went past negligence into purposeful asshattery (like the oft-mentioned J-hook).

Motorcycles get some respect from the public at large (maybe the weekend warrior pirate image IS beneficial) but bicycles get none and are treated accordingly by dipshits.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #1153
Forty Years Ago
I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer: 259
This thread needs to go away.

I'm an avid bicyclist myself but there hasn't been a post with any new info in at least 10 pages. Boring.

Just saying.

Semper Fi 1963 - 1969. A/1/11, B/1/14
Forty Years Ago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #1154
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
What's the alternative?

M
Not safe for you or them?

I don't think taking a lane in an attempt to prevent a driver from doing a suicidal pass is a good decision, or is even the right thing to do. I would only increase my exposure if it was clearly to my benefit with no other option.

Trying to force driving decisions on others could very well backfire and become a challenge to them. Playing chicken with a car is too much like Russian roulette for my tastes.

Like it or not, we live in a society where those of us who do things outside the "norm" are expected to bear the full burden and responsibility of our choices. It may not be right or fair, but if we want our rights respected, we need to earn that respect, not try to force it.

We also need to recognize that stupidity and arrogance will never go away. Try to fight that and you will eventually loose.

But then again there are a few people who smoke 2 packs of cigarets and drink 5th of Jack a day, and live to be 100. Bad decisions just work for a few.

For the rest of us it will only work till it kills us.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #1155
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFLTR View Post
So your way is working then?
As well as can be expected. Yeah.

For an idea of what riding a bicycle feels like, go ride yer MC on a freeway at half the speed limit. In my case, the roads aren't that busy, but you'll get a quick lesson in 'bicycling' since none of y'all want to come try it.

M