Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #106
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 21,899
Quickly and safely. If I can give them 5 feet and stay in my lane, that's what I'll do. Having a vehicle trail me while I'm riding is irritating.
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:39 AM   #107
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomoto View Post

I'll go along with bicycle registration as long as the laws are rewritten so that the tax is based on weight.

I'll gladly pay a tax for my total weight of 200lbs (my fat behind plus Ti bicycle) as long as the folks in the 6000lb SUV's pay a proportionate amount. I mean, we should be fair about this, right?
How about we tax you based on how much space you take up, since driving in the car lane is the problem? No one has complained how much you press down on the road.

Why can't joggers use a busy city road? How about a skateboard?
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #108
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
It's not an argument, it's a statement of fact. Most adult bicyclists also own cars, pay into the system with their registration and fuel taxes, and are therefore not "free riders".

Using more fuel (and therefore paying more fuel taxes) does not give you a greater right to the road or make it "your road". Would you want a guy in an S-Class to take the approach that he has a greater right to the road than motorcyclists because his taxes and fuel consumption are much higher than any motorcycle?
I try and ride my bicycle more than I drive my S-Class... Don't always work tho.

M
edited to add: why the hostility towards bicyclists and not say tractors or other farm implements? I see lines of cars 20 long behind tractors (that I've passed on my bicycle before!) just sitting there. Put a bicycle taking up 3' of room in the same situation, people get all pissy and HAVE TO PASS RIGHT EFFING NOW! Its

M

Gummee! screwed with this post 10-17-2011 at 07:12 AM
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:18 AM   #109
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Where to Ride
  • Bicyclists must ride with the flow of traffic on the right side of the highway.
  • Bicyclists operating a bicycle on a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place under conditions then existing shall ride as close as safely practicable to the right curb or edge of roadway. Exceptions to this are when bicyclists are overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, preparing for a left turn, avoiding unsafe conditions, avoiding riding in a lane that turns or diverges to the right, riding on a one way street where bicyclists may ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of roadway, or when the lane width is too narrow to share with a motor vehicle. Additionally, bicycles are not excluded from riding on the highway shoulder.
  • Bicyclists must not ride between two lanes of traffic moving in the same direction unless one lane is a separate or mandatory turn lane.
  • Bicyclists cannot ride more than two or more abreast on highways. When riding two abreast, bicyclists cannot impede the movement of traffic, need to move into single file when being overtaken from the rear. On a laned roadway, bicyclists shall ride in a single lane.
  • Bicyclists are not permitted to ride on interstate and certain controlled access highways, unless the operation is limited to bicycle or pedestrian facilities that are barrier separated from the roadway and automobile traffic. The restricted sections of the highways are marked with conspicuous signs.
  • Bicycles may be ridden on sidewalks unless prohibited by local ordinance or traffic control devices. While on sidewalks and shared use paths, bicyclists must always yield the right of way to pedestrians and give an audible signal before passing a pedestrian.
  • Bicyclists pulling onto a sidewalk or highway from a driveway must yield the right of way to pedestrians or vehicles already on the sidewalk or highway.
There ya go. We're allowed to ride 2-abreast here in VA if we're not impeding traffic.

Having said that, get more'n about 20 of your friends together and its actually safer to take 30m of the whole the lane than take up 100m of 2x2. Makes it easier to pass...

Note that the first bolded section sez 'practicable' not 'possible.' If there's shit on the road I'm riding 6" to the left of that. Hint to drivers: I can see the shit in the road whether you can or can't. Its there and I'm NOT going to ruin $200 worth of tires, $10 worth of tubes and $1200-2000 (or more!) worth of wheels to ride in said shit on the side of the road.

M
Old 10-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #110
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Where to Ride

Note that the first bolded section sez 'practicable' not 'possible.' If there's shit on the road I'm riding 6" to the left of that. Hint to drivers: I can see the shit in the road whether you can or can't. Its there and I'm NOT going to ruin $200 worth of tires, $10 worth of tubes and $1200-2000 (or more!) worth of wheels to ride in said shit on the side of the road.

M
So,let me get this straight, it makes more sense to risk possibly getting yourself run over OR causing a car or motorcycle to hit someone else, by suddenly altering your course to avoid getting a flat/flats?
Oh wait, you mean you're just not going to be riding in that part of the road where the debris collects, thereby making a dangerous situation for anyone attempting to get by you?

Just wondering.

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #111
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
So,let me get this straight, it makes more sense to risk possibly getting yourself run over OR causing a car or motorcycle to hit someone else, by suddenly altering your course to avoid getting a flat/flats?
Oh wait, you mean you're just not going to be riding in that part of the road where the debris collects, thereby making a dangerous situation for anyone attempting to get by you?

Just wondering.

Chris
Yup. Where there's no bike lane or shoulder, I end up in the right tire tracks (or just to the right of em) more often than not.

Now mind you, I live and ride out in the sticks. I may see 3-4 cars on my rides. In fact, I'm going to go get dressed and 'be in the way' for about the next hour or so. I may see a car or two.

Now I'll ask you how I'M making a dangerous situation. All it takes is not trying to pass a cyclist into oncoming traffic, or over the crest of a hill, or around a blind corner... You know, let up on the go pedal (or throttle) long enough to make sure there's nothing coming **that could kill ALL of us** to go round in a safe, prudent manner.

What's so hard about that concept?

M
Old 10-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #112
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
I both ride and drive professionally and socially. I have, in the past, driven vans, tractors, trailers and small lorries professionally. I am frequently a pedestrian in urban areas. I cycle, both for recreation and to commute. I am a hillwalker, often on tracks where motorbikes come through. Consequently, I like to think I have a pretty well-rounded perception of what goes on on the roads and what is "fair". I also don't harbour any inherent hatred for any one group. After all, in part, I myself make up all these groups.

All groups of road users, have at one time or another, hacked me off: Even those who should know better, such as advanced riding groups or police (in terms of how they were driving, not in terms of "policing").
Old 10-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #113
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
why the hostility towards bicyclists and not say tractors or other farm implements? I see lines of cars 20 long behind tractors (that I've passed on my bicycle before!) just sitting there. Put a bicycle taking up 3' of room in the same situation, people get all pissy and HAVE TO PASS RIGHT EFFING NOW! Its

M
Because farming is a necessary and critical vocation, cycling is recreation or transportation by choice.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:49 AM   #114
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:

Just wondering.

Chris
I assume you just plough right over whatever lies in your path while riding your moto? Regardless of whether it poses a risk to your machine? I admit to assuming you ride one, this being a motorcycling forum.
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #115
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Because farming is a necessary and critical vocation, cycling is recreation or transportation by choice.
...and how specifically does that make a difference?

M
Old 10-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #116
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
  • Bicyclists cannot ride more than two or more abreast on highways. When riding two abreast, bicyclists cannot impede the movement of traffic, need to move into single file when being overtaken from the rear. On a laned roadway, bicyclists shall ride in a single lane.
There ya go. We're allowed to ride 2-abreast here in VA if we're not impeding traffic.

I bikes didn't impede trafic, this thread wouldn't exist.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #117
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Pheasant View Post
I admit to assuming you ride one, this being a motorcycling forum.
Nope! I own the 6 bikes in my sig just to make up for my amazingly small penis.
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #118
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,445
Quote:
Wait, I thought you were a girl?

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #119
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee1 View Post
I bikes didn't impede trafic, this thread wouldn't exist.
You guys wouldn't do very well in Amish country.

M
Old 10-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #120
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Its not working. Keep at it!

M