Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #1186
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
I grew up in SD and my mom still lives there. I ride there all the time. I sometimes will ride with the SDBC (mentioned earlier in this thread). It's just like any other large urban area to ride in.
Sweet. I like SDBC's ride.

So there we were one Sat AM... Pack of 100+ going thru Rancho Santa Fe at a decent clip aimed at the coast when this SUV comes barreling up the road and proceeds to try and pass the entire pack!

Over a hill AND around a blind corner.

He found out that yes, there's oncoming traffic on that road. Whoda thunk it?!

Thank doG there was a break in the pack for him to dive for otherwise it woulda been mass carnage as he plowed over dozens of cyclists. 30sec earlier, there wasn't a break in the pack. We just got lucky!

...all because he was in a hurry...

M
Old 06-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #1187
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
The difference between A and C is I am not "letting' or "preventing" someone else from making their own decisions. I'm not "passive", I'm matching my actions to my environment and conditions, and not intentionally interfering with others.
So passivity is an acceptable alternative when faced with a choice of whether something is safe to do or not? I think I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing (aka stay as far to the right as possible) and if I get hurt/killed at least I was matching my actions to the conditions?

Quote:
Keep right and stay aware? I don't know what to say If your having problems with traffic there.
Trying to" keep us all safe" is to big a burden for any one person to take on, the best solution is to just concentrate on what your doing, and do what you can to avoid creating situations rather than trying to prevent them.
I'm going down the road and coming up onto a blind corner. That's a situation I can't control.

What I can control is my placement on the road, to a certain extent my speed, and that's about it. I can't *really* control anything else, but I can influence it by where in the road I'm riding. So I do.

As *I* can see, I wave traffic around. That's usually well before they can see. After all, I'm in front of them...

Quote:
Your attitude, outlook, and experiences you have shared here do not reflect my personal experiences, or other cyclists I have known. but I will leave it at that.
I guess I'm just lucky. ...or cursed. IDK which.

M
Old 06-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #1188
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Sweet. I like SDBC's ride. ...
You moved from San Diego to Virginia????
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #1189
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
You moved from San Diego to Virginia????
There were a bunch of stops in the middle...

I useta tell people 'its gonna take a crowbar to get me out of Sandy Eggo and she better be damn good looking.'

She was

Now she's an ex- and I haven't figured out how to get back.

M
Old 06-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #1190
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
So passivity is an acceptable alternative when faced with a choice of whether something is safe to do or not? I think I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing (aka stay as far to the right as possible) and if I get hurt/killed at least I was matching my actions to the conditions?
Do you remember the thread where someone posted a video of a redneck in a pickup trying to block his buddy from making a pass?

Yes it is an entirely different situation, but it does illustrate what can happen when one person tries to control another. The more you try to guess at what others may do, jumping to conclusions, and control them, the more likely you are to escalate a possibly questionable decision into an actually bad situation. If a person is thoughtless or selfish enough to endanger others they are also more likely to view any attempt to control them as a challenge.

Over the years I have learned the odds are much better to adapt to the environment than trying to control it.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #1191
Rekd
Bitter Clinger

Oddometer: 93
Lots of bikes out today. Saw one guy have to slow down while a truck pulled into a gas station. Nothing remotely close to "right hooking" the guy, he just had to slow down. Dude on the bike was visibly bent that he had to slow down while this truck did it's business.

So it's ok for bikes to force cars to slow down but when a bike is forced to slow down for a car suddenly it's this big issue?

I went by the guy on the bike and asked out my window if he was mad that he had to slow down. He gave me this look like if he had a rock he'd throw it at me.

I just smiled and waved as I drove away.
Rekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #1192
Rekd
Bitter Clinger

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Damn skippy. Right smack dab in the middle of the lane till I could see over the crest of the hill. (which is 100' up the road)
LoL.

So you already know why people hate you. You just come here to brag about it.

I see now.
Rekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #1193
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,818
Quote:
How bout this even tho its taken from the car:

What's coming over the hill?

Where am I supposed to ride to keep me, you, and the potential oncoming car safe?

M
There is plenty of room for 2 cars and 2 bicycles to pass, all at the same time. No matter how far from the edge of pavement a bicycle was, I would make the pass on a deserted road like that. If the bicycle was close to the side, I would slow to slightly faster than the rider, and cruise by slowly. If the rider was out in the traffic lane, I would have to do it quickly to avoid oncoming cars. Which is the safer option?

When I ride my bicycle I stay withing 12 inches of the edge when cars are around. If there are too many goatheads for my tire Slime to deal with, I'd avoid that road altogether.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #1194
xKLR_John
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Wait? Is this the Harley rolling roadblock thread?

Quote:
Sweet. I like SDBC's ride.

So there we were one Sat AM... Pack of 100+ going thru Rancho Santa Fe at a decent clip aimed at the coast when this SUV comes barreling up the road and proceeds to try and pass the entire pack!

...all because he was in a hurry...

M
xKLR_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #1195
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
There is plenty of room for 2 cars and 2 bicycles to pass, all at the same time. No matter how far from the edge of pavement a bicycle was, I would make the pass on a deserted road like that. If the bicycle was close to the side, I would slow to slightly faster than the rider, and cruise by slowly. If the rider was out in the traffic lane, I would have to do it quickly to avoid oncoming cars. Which is the safer option?

When I ride my bicycle I stay withing 12 inches of the edge when cars are around. If there are too many goatheads for my tire Slime to deal with, I'd avoid that road altogether.
The safer option....and the lawful one ... is to slow down and then make a legal pass when clear. Riding that close to the edge encourages cars to pas when there isn't room and that puts you in even more danger.

Good luck...be safe!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #1196
Road Hound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
The first time I began to question the sanity of bicycle riders was in Utah in 1975. I had been riding down hill for at least 40 miles, met a bicycle riding the opposite direction. I've always wondered, does he have any idea what's ahead of him.

Then riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway, in heavy fog, came up behind 3 bicycle riders riding side by side, damn near invisible and of course no lights of any sort, and totally unaware of anything going on behind them.

On another ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway, 2 bicycle riders riding on the right hand side of the lane, just as I was about to overtake them turn left right in front of me into an overlook. No signal of any sort, no head check and totally unaware of anything going on behind them.

On several occasions on the Blue Ridge Parkway ride thru a blind right curve only to find a bicycle rider making a U turn right at the beginning of the straight and again totally unaware of anything going on behind them.

Georgia Hwy 60 from the intersection of 129 heading North toward Woody Gap, very tight up hill stretch of road with many blind curves, no shoulders at all, no escape routes for any vehicle of any sort, bicycle riders riding 2 and 3 abreast barely moving fast enough to stay upright and as usual never aware of anything going on behind them. I will never understand why a Sane individual would choose to ride a bicycle on this stretch of road single file. As for the bicycle riders who ride 2 and 3 abreast, I always wonder who feeds them as it appears they could not possibly have the smarts to feed themselves.

I do believe that all bicycle riders who choose to ride on public roads should have to abide by all the rules and regulations required of other vehicles and users of the roads.

Bicycles should be equipped as following;

Registered and tagged, tag must be mounted on rear of vehicle and not obstructed in any way.

One functioning Tail light and brake light.

turn signals on rear of bicycle

One rear view mirror mounted on left handlebar.

Reflective triangle shaped Slow Moving Vehicle sign minimum size of 18 inches per side displayed on rear of bicycle.

All bicycle riders should be required to adhere to all helmet laws including use of a DOT approved helmet.

Just my views and observations, as always YMMV
Road Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #1197
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Hound View Post
If you ever run for office, please post how I can contribute to your opponent. I detest rule makers. Ride free.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #1198
Road Hound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
If you ever run for office, please post how I can contribute to your opponent. I detest rule makers. Ride free.
The rules are already made and enforced for all users of our roads except for bicycles and farm equipment. If bicycle riders truly want to be safe they should have no probem abiding by the same regulations as other users of the roads.
Road Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #1199
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,142
Quote:

Registered and tagged, tag must be mounted on rear of vehicle and not obstructed in any way.

One functioning Tail light and brake light.

turn signals on rear of bicycle

One rear view mirror mounted on left handlebar.

Reflective triangle shaped Slow Moving Vehicle sign minimum size of 18 inches per side displayed on rear of bicycle.

All bicycle riders should be required to adhere to all helmet laws including use of a DOT approved helmet.

Just my views and observations, as always YMMV
Sweet jesus.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #1200
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
The rules are already made and enforced for all users of our roads except for bicycles and farm equipment. If bicycle riders truly want to be safe they should have no probem abiding by the same regulations as other users of the roads.
If motorcyclists want to be safe, they should have a roll cage around them like all other motorized vehicles.