Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #1276
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
My MUP strategy is to politely ding a couple of times at a reasonable distance and if the person
doesn't react, I pass as quickly as I can taking the grass if I can. If it`s a young person wearing earbuds,
I buzz by close to purposely scare them. Face it young oblivious earbud girl, if you didn`t hear me
approaching then you wouldn`t hear the thug sneaking up on you either.

Ha, I'm the same way on multi-use trails. Except I don't have a bell ( I should get one...) and holler "BICYCLE ON YOUR LEFT" instead. Usually works pretty well and 90 percent of the time, especialy those with dogs, say thank you when I pass.

We recently had some attacks on our most popular trail here and an email went out from our police substation with tips for the trail users -- the theme over and over again was to be aware and don't listen to music so loud that you can't hear what is going on around you. I freakin' hate those morons with the buds in without a care in the world...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #1277
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,423
It's always the overtaking person responsibility to perform a safe overtake. Bicycles demand a metre by cars but dont give the same courtesy to peds. Earphones don't have anything to do with it because the bicycle should leave enough space for a safe overtake just like a car should leave space overtaking a bike in a car because a bike might need to swerve.

It just pisses me off the hypocrisy.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #1278
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
It's always the overtaking person responsibility to perform a safe overtake. Bicycles demand a metre by cars but dont give the same courtesy to peds. Earphones don't have anything to do with it because the bicycle should leave enough space for a safe overtake just like a car should leave space overtaking a bike in a car because a bike might need to swerve.

It just pisses me off the hypocrisy.
Good point. My MUP is roughly 1.8 m wide. A ped I pass takes half of that - at least. I'm a fool for not extending the MUP to be wide enough to give that ped a full meter of path when I do a pass.

Why didn't I think of that?
Old 06-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #1279
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Here's the dilemma for we on bicycles mixed with peds on a MUP based on my personal experience. I've found that it's an easier pass to just pass. Sure, I startle the ped, but I find it safer than when I try to yell which all too often causes them to juke into my path which makes me need to juke to avoid them. Peds, in my experience, stay their course unless alerted to my approach from behind them. If altered their course becomes unpredictable where if I do the no alert pass, they never interfere with me.

I am still skeptical about MUP's but that's what I have here in many areas.
I understand that, but to intentionally "buzz by close to purposely scare them." doesn't do much to make people understand bicycle issues, just pisses them off!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #1280
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,065
Quote:
Good point. My MUP is roughly 1.8 m wide. A ped I pass takes half of that - at least. I'm a fool for not extending the MUP to be wide enough to give that ped a full meter of path when I do a pass.

Maybe you're a fool for riding a bicycle on a narrow path that's heavily populated by walkers.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #1281
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
Sure it pisses them off. I find that most oblivious earbud wearers are teens so I doubt they'll
suffer a heart attack.
I really don't go out of my way to piss people off. I am courteous to the majority of trail users
but the earbud oblivious who choose to reduce their awareness of their surroundings are placing
themselves at risk. I have 40 years of bicycle experience and I know I can pass a relatively
stationary person in a remarkably safe and effective way.

If I scared your little snowflake while she was tuned out wandering down the path, I am sorry.
GP640 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #1282
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Maybe you're a fool for riding a bicycle on a narrow path that's heavily populated by walkers.
If you end up in Face Plant crippled due to a truck left turning in front of you, I'll be sure to comment on how much an idiot you are for riding a motorcycle on a road clearly meant for and occupied by cages.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #1283
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,104
Quote:
If you end up in Face Plant crippled due to a truck left turning in front of you, I'll be sure to comment on how much an idiot you are for riding a motorcycle on a road clearly meant for and occupied by cages.
+1 I'll commiserate with you, then point out that 'you had it coming ya damn squid!'

3hrs on the road today and only 0.5 of an idiot. She wasn't an idiot to me, but to the cyclist (female no less!) coming up the hill at me and being passed around a curve.

Actually, I take that back. I had a medicare sled do the same thing to me. So 1.5 idiots on the road today.

If ya can't see, what makes you think its safe to pass?! ...and yes, I was ~18" from the right side of the road when the senior decided that they didn't want to wait to see what was coming and went around me at the crest of the hill. My thoughts ran 'just because YOU have a handicapped tag on yer car, don't mean *I* want one!'

M
Old 06-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #1284
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
...listen to music so loud that you can't hear what is going on around you. I freakin' hate those morons with the buds in without a care in the world...
In California, they walk on the railroad tracks while doing that. (Darwin was right.)
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #1285
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Saw this and thought of y'all

M
Old 06-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #1286
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

If ya can't see, what makes you think its safe to pass?!
The ones that get me are the drivers who will pull into the oncoming lane to avoid whatever hazard is blocking a portion of their lane...in plain sight of you coming towards them! F'n idiots!!

So the thread went from discussing "Bicycles on the road" to "pedestrians on the path!"
F'n pedestrians should walk over in the woods so as not to slow down the cyclists.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #1287
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,423
Quote:

If there is not safe enough room to make the overtake then wait till its wide enough. Dont fly past as fast as you can in an unsafe manner. You could also get off your bike and walk past the ped, that would be safe.

If you were riding on the road and it was windy and narrow, you wouldnt like a car to squeeze past.

Peds just want to be safe from you just like you want to be safe from cars, show some respect and when those peds get in their cars they will do the same for you.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #1288
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,935
Quote:
those peds get in their cars they will do the same for you.
Hopefully!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #1289
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
If there is not safe enough room to make the overtake then wait till its wide enough. Dont fly past as fast as you can in an unsafe manner. You could also get off your bike and walk past the ped, that would be safe.

If you were riding on the road and it was windy and narrow, you wouldnt like a car to squeeze past.

Peds just want to be safe from you just like you want to be safe from cars, show some respect and when those peds get in their cars they will do the same for you.
Gee, why didn't I think of that? I can get off, walk around, start up again and then 15 m later rinse, repeat. Sounds like great riding. I thank you for you clear analysis.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #1290
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

The people walking on the MUTs are the people driving the cars to get there. They drive like they walk: clueless.

Keep that in mind when passing em and everything'll be OK.

IOW treat em like someone in this thread suggested: like deer. You just don't know WTF they're about to do. After all, they're on a path. Its 'safe!' Since they don't have to deal with cars, they tend to turn off their brains.

M