ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #121
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer
 
anotherguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: the hills
Oddometer: 6,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
Nope! I own the 6 bikes in my sig just to make up for my amazingly small penis.
You'll be needing a Harley soon.
__________________
A lie has no feet......it can't stand alone.............
Jason Newsted
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #122
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!
 
Fe Man's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Moran Nation, N. Atlanta Outpost
Oddometer: 7,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusier Dude View Post
First off the shitheads DON'T PAY ANY ROAD TAXES OR REPAIRS so stay the hell off my roads that I DO PAY TAXES on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
You do realize that almost everybody you see on a bicycle also owns a car and therefore pays the same road TAXES that you do, right?
Cruiser Dude:I would bet the sales tax on one of my bikes is more than the bullshit taxes you claim to pay. I get so fucking tired of this "whine"; taxes this, I have a right to that. Why don't you grow up and learn to share the road. The only vehicles that typically pay "road taxes" are commercial transport vehicles so based on your logic you probably have no right whining about driving your Miata on secondary roads and being blocked by cyclists!

The same thing goes for the "speed limit" whiners. Don't get me wrong, I hate fuckers that can't drive the speed limit but it is called the "limit" and not the "required speed".

Speaking of Shitheads, it's aberrant thinking like yours that gets motorcyclists killed as well.

It's time to punt this POS thread over to the other bullshit bicycle thread as this has run completely off course!
__________________
2006 Tiger
2008 KLR (hers)
Fe Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #123
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusier Dude View Post
I want to know how to make my diesel smoke like this.
Add a 50/50 mix of diesel and gas the next time you fill up...
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #124
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!
 
Fe Man's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Moran Nation, N. Atlanta Outpost
Oddometer: 7,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Add a 50/50 mix of diesel and gas the next time you fill up...
Plus a coupla' cans of Coleman fuel!
__________________
2006 Tiger
2008 KLR (hers)
Fe Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #125
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,728
I've got to say this has turned into quite the little thread!

I can see both sides of the coin since I have almost been smacked in the head by a mirror on some dumb bitch's full size SUV as she passed me while having her head stuck out the drivers window talking to the driver of the car beside her!!! Yes, I was ALL the way to the right of the lane with no shoulder to escape to. I have also been stuck behind multiple assholes on bicycles blocking the road so there was no place to pass safely. I can alos see why some bicyclists ride facing traffic...so they can see the ashole coming at them.

Needless to say I sold the road bike because I couldn't picture a scenario where riding on the road would get any better...because of assholes in cages. I'll stick to the trails on the Mtn. bike.
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #126
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes
 
bumblebee1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You guys wouldn't do very well in Amish country.



M
Not relevent.
The wagon has a size that can't be changed.

Oh, and my ride in the provincial park yesterday proved to be fun as I watched the bikes drop into single file as soon as they saw me come up behind them.
There was no confusion as to what the other had to do.
We gave them plenty of room and they shared the road.
Is that frustrating to some of you bicyclists out there?
Because if it is, then maybe you're the problem.
It was a mutual respect coming from both sides.
__________________
And what are you planning to do with your one and only life?
bumblebee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #127
windmill
Beastly Adventurer
 
windmill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kent, Washington State
Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
...and how specifically does that make a difference?



M
Probably not much of a difference at the time of the delay, but after the fact I suspect most folks won't feel compelled to rant on line about somebody working like they would about somebody playing.
__________________
"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #128
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Needless to say I sold the road bike because I couldn't picture a scenario where riding on the road would get any better...because of assholes in cages. I'll stick to the trails on the Mtn. bike.
I've learned to deal with em over the last 20 years in a couple of ways
1. ignore em
2. smile and wave if they do something semi stupid
3. big
4. take charge of the lane when its not safe to pass.
5. stay off the road at rush hour
6. use arm signals to wave cars around, to stop em, etc
7. wave 'thank you' as I hear a car coming up. My theory being that an arm out with a hand waving = human vs 'a thing in the way.' Haven't been hit yet AND people tend to give me a little more room.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #129
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Probably not much of a difference at the time of the delay, but after the fact I suspect most folks won't feel compelled to rant on line about somebody working like they would about somebody playing.
There's an assumption. Granted, its usually true, but its still an assumption. (in Sandy Eggo, you'd probably be wrong)

Funny thing is... I'm faster'n any tractor I've come across!

...and I'm working! Working on NOT being a lardass. Working on my mental attitude (and people driving like are making that tough) Working on NOT being on meds for BP, diabetes, cholesterol, GIRD, etc.

Oh, I'm working all right!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #130
tuffgong
Bon Pilote
 
tuffgong's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Cap Ferret,France
Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balanzed View Post
Man, you 'Merikans need to learn some road culture! All your fucking anger, bicyclist, motorcyclist, cagers and pedestrians are all one big knot of anger waiting to spew. I have been driving semis, cage, motorcycle and my bicycle and the aggressiveness towards me on/in any of those vehicles are astounding to me.
Where the fuck are you going in such a hurry? Sheesh!

Apart from that, when I'm on my motorcycle and meet any of those idiot spandex clad ass wipes I give them as much room as is safe for the both of us. When I'm on my bicycle I stay as far to the right as I can, but the shoulders in the US is not always a nice place to be for a bicycle especially after a hard winter. When I'm in a car and there's no good sight lines I'll stay behind them till I can pass and I don't give a hoot how slow they're going, I only have to push down on a pedal to go faster, no strain on me whatsoever and even if I had to stay behind them for 2-3 minutes it'll only delay me at my destination by....wait...plus and plus is equal to...2-3 minutes! Yeah, that'll ruin my day!

Calm the hell down out there in traffic people. Close to 40.000 US people are killed in traffic every year just trying to get from point A to point B.
Nicely put. Leave earlier or get your priorities straight. Nothing short of saving a life can be so damn important as to need to be in such a hurry. And killing someone in order to hurry to save someone is rather inane. So what if some yim-yap on a bicycle has the temerity to prove he is an idiot. He's the idiot,not you. Go around him when you can and forget about it. Why are so many people so damn mad all the time. There are real problems in the world.Bicyclists are not one of them.
__________________
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.”M.Twain
thatmanstu-moto-concepts.com

tuffgong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #131
Gordy
Team Listo
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: NM
Oddometer: 21,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Man View Post
Cruiser Dude:I would bet the sales tax on one of my bikes is more than the bullshit taxes you claim to pay. I get so fucking tired of this "whine"; taxes this, I have a right to that. Why don't you grow up and learn to share the road. The only vehicles that typically pay "road taxes" are commercial transport vehicles so based on your logic you probably have no right whining about driving your Miata on secondary roads and being blocked by cyclists!

You may get tired of hearing about it because you don't really seem to understand where the money to build most roads comes from.
The bulk of it comes from taxes on gasoline and fuel.

Your statement about "road taxes" and the only vehicles that pay it are commercial vehicles shows your lack of homework on the subject, so you may want to sit back and listen to the "whine" a little more.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #132
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer
 
Offblnz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: North
Oddometer: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffgong View Post
Nicely put. Leave earlier or get your priorities straight. Nothing short of saving a life can be so damn important as to need to be in such a hurry. And killing someone in order to hurry to save someone is rather inane. So what if some yim-yap on a bicycle has the temerity to prove he is an idiot. He's the idiot,not you. Go around him when you can and forget about it. Why are so many people so damn mad all the time. There are real problems in the world.Bicyclists are not one of them.
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #133
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer
 
Offblnz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: North
Oddometer: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
You may get tired of hearing about it because you don't really seem to understand where the money to build most roads comes from.
The bulk of it comes from taxes on gasoline and fuel.

Your statement about "road taxes" and the only vehicles that pay it are commercial vehicles shows your lack of homework on the subject, so you may want to sit back and listen to the "whine" a little more.
Because some users pays the bulk of it, doesn't mean they have more right to it than anyone else who, by the way, also pays into it.
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #134
xtop20A
Banned
 
xtop20A's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: grants ass oregon, er, pass
Oddometer: 1,599
i only read the title to this thread
but thought i would add this bit
new law coming 2012 in oregon.the only legal way to pass/overtake any bicyclist on any road whether they are in a bicycle lane or not,is to completely leave your lane and move over into the other lane.if it is an oncoming lane as in a 2 lane highway it must not be done crossing a double yellow
i dunno i think its a lil much
xtop20A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #135
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I've learned to deal with em over the last 20 years in a couple of ways
1. ignore em
2. smile and wave if they do something semi stupid
3. big
4. take charge of the lane when its not safe to pass.
5. stay off the road at rush hour
6. use arm signals to wave cars around, to stop em, etc
7. wave 'thank you' as I hear a car coming up. My theory being that an arm out with a hand waving = human vs 'a thing in the way.' Haven't been hit yet AND people tend to give me a little more room.

M
All good tips but the bitch was clueless as to who, what, or if, she was even approaching and passing someone...much less a bicycle in the same lane. I felt the wind rush from the rear view mirror just inches(if that) off my helmeted head. If she had connected with my head I probably wouldn't be here typing this...
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014