Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #1336
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
Perhaps not. Do you go into lanes and block traffic?

If not, then no, I don't get where you're coming from and I apologize.

If you DO block traffic, I know exactly where you're coming from because I used to do the same thing thinking I knew better than everyone else around me at the time and my assumptions that you're stupid ignorant are validated.
All right. I'll bite: what's the alternative?

Ride as far to the right as possible and HOPE that someone doesn't pass me into oncoming traffic?

Is THAT your recommendation?

If so, I'm going to ignore it. I've tried that and have come pretty damn close to paying for it several times.

M
Old 06-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #1337
Rekd
Bitter Clinger

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

Ride as far to the right as possible and HOPE that someone doesn't pass me into oncoming traffic?

If so, I'm going to ignore it. I've tried that and have come pretty damn close to paying for it several times.

M
So I DO get where you're coming from and my assumption of your stupidity ignorance IS validated, lol...

Ok, seriously... As a fellow human/biker/cyclist/pedestrian let me try to explain to you once more that while you're on your bike you can't just go out and try to dictate how fast and where people drive.

It's... stupid.

You'll piss 'em off and they'll take it out on you. And from my own experience pissing off rednecks, gangsters and people late for their latte is much, much worse than letting them go ahead and cross over into oncoming traffic on a blind hill as you seem to be so obsessed with.

You're aware enough as a target that you can see an idiot getting impatient behind you almost immediately while still noticing on-coming traffic and STILL be able to get out of Captain Stupid's way before he get's creamed by that truck coming over the hill. You're on a bike. Drive defensively, not offensively.

When YOU put yourself between a cager and his destination YOU bring rage and other driver's bad decisions on yourself.

People get mad and pass real close to you or otherwise try to 'teach you a lesson'. Not saying they're justified, just telling you you're going to piss off the wrong person eventually and it's going to end badly for you. I know.

Rekd screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 10:48 PM
Rekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:48 AM   #1338
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M

I suppose not riding on a road where there is no shoulder is out of the question? (seriously, is there another route or are you stuck taking that one)

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #1339
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,978
Why do you cyclists say it is ok to ride down the middle of the road, but when pedestrians walk down the middle of a MUP you get all shitty and abusive? We dont want to walk on the edge of the path and risk tripping?

Seems double standard.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #1340
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Why do you cyclists say it is ok to ride down the middle of the road, but when pedestrians walk down the middle of a MUP you get all shitty and abusive? We dont want to walk on the edge of the path and risk tripping?

Seems double standard.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #1341
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,631
Although this isn't directly the bicyclists fault...one thing that pisses me off as a motorist is the idiots that feel they need to give the bicyclist so much room when they pass they cross completely into the on coming lane regardless of traffic!

I nearly got run off the road the other day on my bike because some geriatric driving and Oldsmabuick decided the bicyclist needed three car width of space to ride along the shoulder...then when I blow the horn....I get looked like I'm the asshole...I guess I was expected to ride in the ditch.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #1342
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I suppose not riding on a road where there is no shoulder is out of the question? (seriously, is there another route or are you stuck taking that one)
Only roads w shoulders here outside NoVA aren't for cycling. The roads w shoulders are 55mph + roads.

I'm riding roads that are usually the same or narrower than the pic I posted earlier. IOW they used to be farm roads before Suburbia encroached on em.

M
Old 06-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #1343
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post

Seems double standard.
There are assholes in all vehicles. Some are in trucks, cars, and yes...even bicycles. We've got a couple in our group.

Why do some folks think it's alright to pass a cyclist in a corner? Happened twice this week. One curve had a fair amount of sight distance. The other was completely blind. There's a difference between: "there is not a car coming" and "I don't see a car coming".

Old 06-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #1344
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomoto View Post
Why do some folks think it's alright to pass a cyclist in a corner? Happened twice this week. One curve had a fair amount of sight distance. The other was completely blind. There's a difference between: "there is not a car coming" and "I don't see a car coming".

Ask Rekd. He seems to think it never happens.

M
Old 06-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #1345
nwdub
Banned

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
There are assholes in all vehicles. Some are in trucks, cars, and yes...even bicycles. We've got a couple in our group.

Why can't you just take a second and let people pass if they're in such a rush?
nwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #1346
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdub View Post
How am I supposed to determine that? Am I supposed to stop before every hill and corner?

People catch up to me in all kinds of places. I can't control where they catch me up

M
Old 06-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #1347
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdub View Post
That's a great question!

Many motorists judge the passing opportunity based on a few assumptions (usually)...one of them is that the cyclist will maintain a constant speed.

Imagine the surprise if I was to slow down unexpectedly! That would be drama I don't need.

I assume a road position that offers maximum visibility with a fair dose of prudence and act predictably.

My cycling commandments: Practice Active visibility (lights 24/7!), Assume a road position of maximum visibility, act predictably...and always, always Honor the rule of lugnuts.

I can't help what other road users do...most of the time.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #1348
Rekd
Bitter Clinger

Quote:
Assume a road position of maximum visibility,
Just curious if this includes putting yourself off the shoulder and out in traffic lanes as it does with gummy?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #1349
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
Just curious if this includes putting yourself off the shoulder and out in traffic lanes as it does with gummy?
Bait cast. Nothings biting.

Better luck next time.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #1350
Rekd
Bitter Clinger

Quote:
Bait cast. Nothings biting.

Better luck next time.
I'll take that as a yes.

Do you honestly wonder why people are pissed at you when you do that? Or do you know damned well and not care?