Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Now were talking! Keep it up!
slogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #32
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,455
Ok .. so we came into bodie via the backside of Mono lake, via a very deep sandy trail (FS road 1N54). We hit Hwy 167/pole line road after the lake loop and the hit cottonwood canyon road that led to this shot...

when we hit the pay booth at the end of this shot (where most enter on bodie road from 395) we let the girls know we were passing thru and didn't pay as we had been here twice in the last few years on the sierra safari and did our sightseeing then. We exited bodie after snapping a couple shots from the road

then we hit Masonic road heading towards Bridgeport... we actually passed two riders that posted this thread.. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734378 ... we had said later it would have been good to stop and chat with them but by then it was 3:30 we had been riding 9 or 10 hrs and still had to get to Twin lakes 15 miles east of brigeport to check into the Mono Resort (which later we found closes registration at 5 pm)

Bodie ..should be free in a car.. just cause of the road to get there
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .

wrk2surf screwed with this post 10-31-2011 at 10:14 AM
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #33
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

On to Bridgeport and then Twin lakes (upper)

After we passed the other inmates we made our way down aurora canyon to bridgeport and a stop at Jolly Cone for a dipped twist..

then off west back towards the Sierras 15 miles and twin lakes

IF ANY WHERE IN THE SIERRAS LOOK LIKE THE ALPS THIS WOULD BE IT!

We barely made check in as it STOPS at 5 pm .. the Mono resort is stuck in time and have some funny rules but seem to be booked up all season so if you want to stay be sure to make reservations early!

we were supposed to go a week or two earlier but the snow you see closed tioga pass.. that meant we didnt get a cabin but got a motel room...they also have a campground for trailers and tents and also rent trailers there... or there are forest service campgrounds back towards lower twin lake and of course Bridgeport but the Mono Resort seemed the most scenic...

The deer are not afraid to be hand fed here.. it seemed like the japaneese deer farm in LA back in the day... they would come right to the door...

We went to the resort's cafe/bar they have near the marina which has killer food had dinner and crashed.. what a day!!! 12 hours and 350 miles.. probably 200 on dirt roads...
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .

wrk2surf screwed with this post 11-06-2011 at 04:47 PM
Old 11-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #34
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Saturday or..Fishing/Riding day

we got up at about 7 am but the sun had yet hit the lake and we packed some small spin rods and went to try our luck.. they regularly catch very large brown trout and have the state record but we were not there to really fish so no boat shots etc.. sorry

we tried to find where the water came into the lake and did..

The creek actually had small Kokanne salmon spawning but skipped the creek and went to the most southwest corner of the lake

we had no luck after an hour of soaking powerbait and made our way back to the creek and did a few casts near the Sockeye's

I landed a small rainbow with some chartruse eggs released the fish, then snagged my gear near the bridge where I retrieved my tackle, I spied a fish and game sign we didn't see on the way across earlier.. barbless hooks and release on the weekend we were there.. luckily no warden hiding in the weeds.. fishing was crap and I have all I want at home so we walked back to the room had breakfast and headed out for a saturday of riding out by the walker river basin and mining ghost towns...

Old 11-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #35
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,543
Nice route and pics.
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #36
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Day 2.. the riding part...

We left Mono Village and headed to Bridgeport and had some lunch at my favorite Jolly cone.. right out of town we had a single track picked out that was on the map and could be seen on google earth.. got to the cul-de-sac and it was fenced so we made our way north a few miles to old masonic road to sight see.. where within 5 miles we found the first sight.. an old mine and hard to imagine so close to town how great of shape it was.. in fact it maybe had been worked up to the 60s-70s ??

you can see Bridgeport reservoir in the distance..

We hopped on the KTM's and headed up the hill wanting to climb Masonic Mtn

and get up where the towers are for a good vantage point but missed a turn ended up going aroud the backside that was way too gnarly for the 650s to climb safely so no great shots from masonic mtn.. sorry I tried and turned back at the upper rock pile..

after that we turned around and headed north to Masonic the ghost town..

wrk2surf screwed with this post 11-12-2011 at 08:37 AM
Old 11-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #37
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
You guys are killing me! Like giving a woman a few drops of water when she's dying of thirst

I'm enjoying the photos, though...no matter how long it's taking you to post them
I've ridden in those hills and there's lots of cool stuff!

WoodsChick

Old 11-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #38
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick View Post
You guys are killing me! Like giving a woman a few drops of water when she's dying of thirst

I'm enjoying the photos, though...no matter how long it's taking you to post them
I've ridden in those hills and there's lots of cool stuff!

WoodsChick
its hard for me to link and caption .. this is why I have no ride reports .. A.D.D gets in the way... we are about half way !!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #39
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

from Mark Twain's " Roughing It":

There are only two seasons in the region round about Mono Lake—and these are, the breaking up of one winter and the beginning of the next. More than once (in Esmeralda) I have seen a perfectly blistering morning open up with the thermometer at ninety degrees at eight o'clock, and seen the snow fall fourteen inches deep and that same identical thermometer go down to forty-four degrees under shelter, before nine o'clock at night. Under favorable circumstances it snows at least once in every single month in the year, in the little town of Mono. So uncertain is the climate in summer that a lady who goes out visiting cannot hope to be prepared for all emergencies unless she takes her fan under one arm and her snow shoes under the other. When they have a Fourth of July procession it generally snows on them, and they do say that as a general thing when a man calls for a brandy toddy there, the bar keeper chops it off with a hatchet and wraps it up in a paper, like maple sugar. And it is further reported that the old soakers haven't any teeth—wore them out eating gin cocktails and brandy punches. I do not endorse that statement—I simply give it for what it is worth—and it is worth—well, I should say, millions, to any man who can believe it without straining himself. But I do endorse the snow on the Fourth of July—because I know that to be true.

stolen from a felow inmates facebook

wrk2surf screwed with this post 11-12-2011 at 07:31 PM
Old 11-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #40
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

From Masonic to Bodie and back to Twin Lakes

We shot a couple at Masonic then down the hills towards the Walker River

The Walker River was flowing good and these guys were having a hey day with me seeing multiple hits..

My favorite ranch we have been through here twice before on the sierra safari..

To the right or north is the ranch.

A shot of me taking the roadsign shot.. with where we were going next... behind me towards Walker lake.. when we got to the pass way in back of me just to the left we stopped

Do you see something ???

What I saw in the distance was a headstone on a very old grave..

we turned around and headed back towards the crossroads and a desert oasis.. Fletcher..

just before leaving we saw this old tin cross... made us wonder its significance

we also did NOT stage this advrider salute...

Thru a high walled unbelievable narrow canyon that was also used on the safari .. towards Bodie again

just east of Bodie

we took some shots of the waning light in Bodie

we started making our way back towards our place in Twin lakes via Masonic/Bridgeport rd

We stopped for a great sunset... and then

Back to Bridgeport tracing the day before's track (only much faster!)

THE END...of day 2

wrk2surf screwed with this post 11-19-2011 at 10:37 PM
Old 11-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #41
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Day 3... Vaminos

We took off from Mono Resort early Sunday morning and had an option.. 395 to tioga OR... the long way following the way we came the two previous days

We got gas and topped for breakfast at the end of town..(we should have had at the coffee shop at the resort)

the guys are staring at our bikes ... :) we ate and back tracked our route to Bodie yet again for our third time

then out towards paved roads we stopped again to look at the lake in the morning from the north side...

looking west south west

facing east

Then...

I took a walk off the road to pee and looked down.. yet again the trip shows me another wonder.. a indian grinding hole in stone.. these are frequently found on the creeks around the west side of the sierras where I live but this was an odd spot.. we wondered

so back on the bike...

wrk2surf screwed with this post 11-20-2011 at 12:19 AM
Old 11-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #42
gonridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Thumb

my oh my thats good stuff! great report mike.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #43
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Homeward bound

After that video above was shot we jumped on 167 east off of Cottonwood canyon rd out of Bodie..

Hit 395

Headed past Lee Vining since we had breakfast only a couple hours before..
after Lee Vining it was over Tioga probably for the last time till spring.. thru Yosemite stopping for gas at tioga and big oak rd as the tuolonme meadows station was closed for the winter. Down Big Oak Flat we cut out of the park at Foresta to take the range between the Stanuslaus and Merced rivers..

Next, we were going to follow old coultrville road out toward Briceburg rd to get a little dirt back into the mix!

Little Nellie Falls.. what a great spot and hard to find!

wrk2surf screwed with this post 12-11-2011 at 09:45 AM
Old 11-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #44
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
...We were going to follow old coultrville road out toward Briceburg rd to get a little dirt back into the mix!
Yes!

I really like Briceburg Road...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #45
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,543
More great pics! Thanks

Just rode past Foresta and Little Nellie falls this weekend, always a nice ride.
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote