User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
warp9man OP
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 552
3 days in Utah checking out Goblin Valley

Wife decided to plan me out a little birthday ride. I'm excited to take out the new bike on it's first longer ride. Day 1, left Layton, UT hopped on I-15 and made tracks toward Fairview. Headed up hwy 6 then turned down hwy 89 toward Fairview. This was the more scenic route to Fairview from home. In Fairview we headed up Fairview Canyon, hwy 31. We have never been in this neck of the woods but it was awesome. The leaves were in full color for fall, lots of reservoirs, a Mammoth, traffic jam of sheep, rivers and pines, nice paved twisty road.

The entry to the canyon

One of the many marked off-road trails to explore.

Stumbled across a recent mammoth discovery in UT that they found when digging for the little dam.

Right near here we got to check out the KTM factory sheep herding option. Video below.

After the sheep and the mammoth we motored on toward Castle Dale for a bite to eat at a little pizza joint and some fuel. Then we headed south and took the Moore Cutoff, a shortcut over to I-70.

On the Moore Cutoff with I-70 in the distance.

On I-70 heading east. This is an awesome stretch of interstate that we didn't expect to see.

Bailing off the interstate and headed for some dirt finally on Temple Mount Road.

One of the signs just shortly after turning on to Temple Mount.

One of the sections on Temple Mount as the road climbs up onto a plateau.

This was an early settlers uranium mining outpost. We thought it was indian ruins until we see it had nails, hinges and cut lumber. A sign in the parking area explained it.

More of the uranium outpost.

Ah-ha we found some indian petroglyphs just a few hundred yards down the dirt road right before it turns to pavement.

Now we get back onto some pavement and pass the enterance to Goblin Valley and head into Hanksville for the night.

This is the uneventful solitude going into Hanksville.

Outside Whispering Sands hotel. Not much picking for rooms in town, so glad we booked the day before because they had no vacancy when we arrived.

View from hotel parking lot across the street. In the morning we are backtracking a bit into Goblin Valley then spending most of the day in the dirt.

Heading into Goblin Valley.

Bike stays the same but the background always seems to change.

I hope this panorama shot is not distorted once uploaded because it was pretty cool.

I somehow end up in half the dang pictures with the camera nazi following me.

Haha, I got the camera now.....

This hard*** rock ejaculated a KTM? Damn, how awesome is that!!!

Done with the Goblin's, wife paricularly enjoys all the penis shaped rocks. Now short ride over to Wild Horse Road. Wonder why it's called that?

This is the parking area and end of the pavement. I guess if you have the time you can park here and go up to some slot canyons in Wild Horse Canyon and I forget the name of the other canyon but you can do both from this parking area.

Beginning of the dirt on Wild Horse.

You ride in a wash for a good portion of the road but very cool. May suck alot if it rains. We ran into a few moist spots but nothing too bad.

It is steeper than it looks. I actually did stand up for a bit (even 2up) for this bit, then it threw in some switchback action on the hill.

Climbs up onto the top of a mesa.

So the scenery keeps changing but about to get very cool

KTM kicks ass and we have now completed our space flight and landed on the moon.

I don't know how to describe this dirt? Kind of like big aerated graham cracker crumbs. Makes the front end float around and feels like your running on a flat tire. The video will demonstrate.

We are now leaving the moonscape for more fun ahead

I'm about to find out part of the Wild Horse meaning. WTF?

Yep, that is cake frosting, sticky and slick crap. The wife is now walking and I go mud bogging solo.

Oh, we are digging planting trenches....yeah

Wife is just blowing time shooting pictures of the mud while I'm out of sight in the mud somewhere.

So we just ran into literally the "Muddy River" seriously that is the name. No damn way to cross where the road terminates to Ford the river. Spent an hour looking for a suitable water crossing spot but found one!!

Successful completion of water crossing. Looks like the wife almost got naked with her pile but really, boots, jacket, helmet and water crossing stick and she is all good.

Across the river but now I get to bushwacking to get the bike back to the road after detouring to find a good crossing spot. Still in the mud and riding solo as the wife laughs at some horizontal riding skills..

Out into the moonscape again.

We evidently entered the Swing Arm City OHV area which has alot of trails if you have time to go play solo.
Getting back onto pavement for a minute onto hwy 24 heading toward Notom Road.

Hwy 24

Hwy 24 toward Notom. Thought the little town of Canieville would have gas but there is pretty much nothing there. We didn't want to detour 35 miles into Torrey so we cut it pretty close on gas from this point for our planned route of continuing onto Notom then to Burr Trail into Boulder.

Now onto Notom Road

Studder bumps are not as bad as they look. Cruised along at 45mph or so with no problems 2up and didn't shake up to death.

Getting ready to turn onto Burr Trail, which we have done before. Burr is one of our favorite scenic roads of all time.

Burr Trail switchbacks in the distance. We love this part!

Burr Trail Road

More Burr Trail. We didn't get too many pictures because we have done this route before. We headed into Boulder for some lunch and fuel. It started to rain as we finished up lunch, so we geared up to head out onto hwy 12 toward Torrey. This is an absolutely stunning section of mountain road with trees, cows and great views. Due to the rain, the wife had the camera on lock down in her jacket so we didn't get much for photos until we got close to Torrey and were out of the trees but coming into red rock country.

The red cliffs ahead is the cool little town of Torrey. Plenty of lodging and food joints. We stayed at Best Western Capitol Reef. We had no idea what we were getting. It was a bit on the edge of town but a great ride getting out to it, as you are very close to Capitol Reef NP.

Really nice room, comfortable bed. Basicly kicked ass especially compared to the hotel the previous night. Not that I'm opposed to camping, lol but the wife did plan the trip so I'm down.

This was the view from our balcony! We just sat out here for an easy hour just taking it all in. We were on a ground level unit but actually had some walkout basement (lower level) rooms below us. They would also have a stunning view. But the main building where we checked in would have sucked with only a view of the parking lot! So maybe specify if you ever stay here to get a good view room. They also had a nice hot tub and pool, which we did jump inot for awhile before we had a late dinner. Awesome!!

Heading out the next morning on hwy 24 toward Sigurd. Sweet...a bit on the chill side at 47 degrees but all was good and stayed plenty warm. We watch 2 couples heading out at the same time riding Harley's that were just wearing jeans, a camo jacket, and bandanas on their heads. We just shook our heads in amazement. They must turn into popcicles. Anyway, hwy 24 is awesome, rolling hills, farms and you cruise thru little towns like Loa. They are all at 7,0000-8700 ft in elevation but it looks like your in a valley surrounded by hills.
I will continue the rest of our journey tomorrow....got to get some sleep.
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:56 AM   #2
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,449
very cool!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Nice write-up, Warp9man! Gotta take my wife to Goblin Valley. Maybe she'll like it as much as your wife did!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,329
Very nice. Great route. She must not mind the bumps too much
Old 10-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,304
Good going together.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Beautiful pics! I love that area. You should do Cathedral Valley and Boulder Mountain, too, if you haven't done them before.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
warp9man OP
Gravel in my Travel

Hey Guys, thanks for the kind words it was a great trip.

Signal...its a KTM!.... so she doesnt feel the bumps ha-ha! naw shes been an offroad rider before she started riding on the back so she knows what to expect.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
warp9man OP
Gravel in my Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Nice write-up, Warp9man! Gotta take my wife to Goblin Valley. Maybe she'll like it as much as your wife did!
Hey RedRock, Funny i was just reading your report yesterday as i was looking for some TW200 info for my dad, cool ride with your dad.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:53 AM   #9
goatmeal
Push button go boom

Oddometer: 193
I gotta get out West.
goatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #10
More CowBell
gotahave moreCowbell

Oddometer: 208
Too Cool!

Man that's a nice ride report.

Check out my Oray Co. trip. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732968
More CowBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
Paloma Paul
Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer: 385
Utah

Great report. Utah has some very good off highway roads/trails.
Paloma Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
ktmdoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Nice RR. I can report from experience that the road below Little Wild Horse does get wet. There are three bikes some place down the canyon below where you started up on to the Mesa. They were lost in a 100 yr flash flood. The wash was running full width and 10 to 15 feet deep at 3AM when it passed us by. We salvaged a Jeep and one bike and the trailer and it took three days for the wash to dry out enough to leave. The Jeep was totaled by the time it made it back to Denver. The Moon Area is really interesting and when wet is so slippery and muddy that it is difficult even with small bikes. We were riding a connection from Big Wild Horse wash to Little Wild Horse wash and after many crossing of the Muddy we ran into the local ranchers. They asked Do you know where to cross the river? When we said "no" the response was "follow the cows, the smart ones make it, the dumb ones don't". This report brings back fond memories. Thanks.
03 600 Katana
01 KTM 200 exc wifes plated
ktmdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
Vinbowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
I know this is an old one now but I just
found this report. Awesome country
and to tour that with your wife.....
I envy you.
Thanks for this report
They just stand back and let it all be." Springsteen
Vinbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
warp9man OP
Gravel in my Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinbowie View Post
I know this is an old one now but I just
found this report. Awesome country
and to tour that with your wife.....
I envy you.
Thanks for this report
Thanks Vinbowie. Utah offers some amazing riding.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #15
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,453
Nice ride, lots of nice places.
Thanks
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote