User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
teledan OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Teledan's XT500

Hey everybody, just joined so I thought I'd post some pics of my 81 Yamaha XT500. This is how she looked when I brought her home:

I cleaned her up and rode her like this for a while. Then I decided to do some mods. I have added a Mikuni VM36 carb, 12v lighting, Hoos Racing pipe. I just finished a top-end rebuild with a Wiseco 88.5mm 10:1 piston and R/D valve springs.

Here is how she sits today. Just passed the 300mi mark on the top-end and she is running great!

Also, last summer I bought an 81 XT250 for my wife because she couldn't stand to see me have all the fun without her :)

My Wife and I really want to get into trail riding and do some motorcycle camping this summer. I have been into old harleys for a while and haven't ridden much dirt so we'll see how it goes :)
teledan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
12v

Which way did you choose for the 12v?

http://www.rexs-speedshop.com/Yamaha-XT500-12-Volt-Conversion-Basic-Kit

http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/systems/7095/7095inst.php

http://xt500.free.fr/ (technique-electricity)

I've been thinking of doing this for years... which battery do you use?

thanks!
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 893
Thumb

Welcome - and what a great machine - FANTASTIC

Here's mine - only had it a few weeks - but I just LOVE it

Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
teledan OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
Which way did you choose for the 12v?

http://www.rexs-speedshop.com/Yamaha-XT500-12-Volt-Conversion-Basic-Kit

http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/systems/7095/7095inst.php

http://xt500.free.fr/ (technique-electricity)

I've been thinking of doing this for years... which battery do you use?

thanks!
I pieced together my own kit like Rex's Speedshop. Right after I got it all done he came out with his kit or else I would have just bought it from him. It seems to work well, the only issue I am having is that at idle the turn signals don't flash and the headlight is a bit dim. It may be unrelated to the actual 12v conversion though, I haven't done any troubleshooting yet because it works well enough to pass inspection!

I am planning on replacing the frontend so that I have a disc brake up front and I would like to do a disc on the rear (with a DR650 or KLR650 wheel) but that would be a ways down the road. For now I am just happy to have a sweet little hooligan bike to ride to work on :)
Old 04-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
teledan OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigford View Post
Welcome - and what a great machine - FANTASTIC

Here's mine - only had it a few weeks - but I just LOVE it

Nice! I saw your post on xt500.co great looking TT!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by teledan View Post
I pieced together my own kit like Rex's Speedshop. Right after I got it all done he came out with his kit or else I would have just bought it from him. It seems to work well, the only issue I am having is that at idle the turn signals don't flash and the headlight is a bit dim. It may be unrelated to the actual 12v conversion though, I haven't done any troubleshooting yet because it works well enough to pass inspection!

I am planning on replacing the frontend so that I have a disc brake up front and I would like to do a disc on the rear (with a DR650 or KLR650 wheel) but that would be a ways down the road. For now I am just happy to have a sweet little hooligan bike to ride to work on :)
I am with you with the disc fork...I have one waiting to be installed (XT350)....
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
teledan OP
Adventurer

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question about the battery. I am actual running a battery eliminator.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
16VGTIDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
If you run a battery, your turn signals and lights should work better at an idle. It is difficult for small charging systems to generate much power at low RPM. Switching as many lights as feasible to LED's will also make a big difference.
16VGTIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
teledan OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
If you run a battery, your turn signals and lights should work better at an idle. It is difficult for small charging systems to generate much power at low RPM. Switching as many lights as feasible to LED's will also make a big difference.
I figured it would, I am running led signals and am planning on switching the brake light to an led. I would rather not run a battery and have the dim lights at idle than use a battery. At least for now.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,834
Nice bike. I'm a big fan of the XT/TT series.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
teledan OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyrider View Post
Nice bike. I'm a big fan of the XT/TT series.
Thanks! I am digging your TT flattrack bike. I am curious to see how your jetting will turn out. This is what I am running right now:

30 Pilot
2.0 Air jet
2.5 slide
6FJ6/3 needle (raised clip two notches)
Q5 needle jet
230 Main

I am thinking I need to swap out the needle and needle jet because I think it is still running a bit rich. I haven't done any plug chops or anything and for around town riding it seems to run well. My pipe is LOUD though and I am thinking about switching it out for something else.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
wrryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I'm looking for a good disc brake fork setup for my TT500 ('77). What year XT350 forks are you using? Will they fit the stock triple clamps and clear the gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
I am with you with the disc fork...I have one waiting to be installed (XT350)....

Don't Feed the Bearcat!
wrryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
JonW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Great bike! Love that pipe, assume its pretty noisy being reverse cone?

Thanks to all who have supported the Omega PloProf book at DeskDivers.com - it's very much appreciated
JonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
teledan OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
Great bike! Love that pipe, assume its pretty noisy being reverse cone?
Thanks! Yes, it is VERY loud. I am actually thinking about running something else, maybe a high pipe with a Cone Eng. muffler. This pipe is just a bit too loud for the street. Anyone want to buy it? :) as for the frontend, I am curious about the xt350 forks too. I was planning on using some fork tubes from an xs750 with the stock triple trees and then an xs650 wheel. But part of me wants to keep it more dirt oriented.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #15
JonW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Ive bought a Kedo supertrapp system for mine, VintageSpoke sell them in the USA I think. Its not cheap but i think its what i need for this bike. If i build another one (tempting) I will do a flat tracker like Willie's bike and then use the JEMCO, that system looks and sounds amazing!

Interested to see what you decide on the front end. Mine has the WP 50mm's and seems very planted indeed rolling round the garage, but its not been on the road yet, tho i expect good things of course.

Thanks to all who have supported the Omega PloProf book at DeskDivers.com - it's very much appreciated
JonW is offline   Reply With Quote