Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #376
F_Sahms
mostly paved

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebeef View Post
To be honest i've blasted crankcases with MANY engine rebuilds and have never had any issues with residual blasting material. I suppose its all about the work involved. If you are happy to wash out/ rinse your work for hours on end afterwards using pipe cleaners, bottle brushes etc you will be rewarded with a finish no other method will provide. If you are not happy to do this work then proceed with any of the other methods that offer a lesser finish.
Rgds
Dave.
Unblasted is a lesser finish?

It's an oil thread for Guzzi people who don't care about oil!

I'm no fan of freshly bead-blasted aluminum. It's not how the casting looked when it came out of the mold, and it's more porous and picks up dirt easier.

Parts washer, hot soapy water, and for horrible corrosion a wire wheel. If it gets too shiny the etching spooge can dull it back down. The lack of grindy-uppy grit is a bonus.

Of course, some people like oysters and snails.

F_Sahms screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 01:39 PM
F_Sahms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #377
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,411
Seal in

Timing cover on...

Old 02-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #378
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Fresh gasket

And the lower end is sealed again

Old 02-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #379
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

I swerved

I've been religiously cleaning and reusing all original hardware but swerved off the path with the oil pan bolts...
the OEMs were just too crusty. I replaced 'em with new zinc coated.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #380
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Zinc It

I buffed out the pan guards and shot them ZincIt. It's apparently nothing more than a cheap (xpensive) primer.
Don't waste your money on that shit.
These things almost saved the oil pan from damage but were exceptional at trapping 46,000 miles of road mung.
I might just leave 'em off... you know, just to save weight!
Old 02-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #381
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Gilardoni's

All of a sudden it's Gilardoni time. I bought these suckers a year ago. It's nice to see 'em go on..

Old 02-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #382
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oops

Don't forget the new tappets!

Old 02-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #383
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Set the base gasket

adjust the rings and set the piston/ cylinder home.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #384
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Double check the instructions

...and pull the whole cylinder back off as I neglected to add the two stinkin' orings at 12 and 6 oclock

Practice, practice, practice!
Old 02-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #385
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

It never would have happened

without the installation instructions from Gilardoni....

Old 02-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #386
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

With the cylinders in place, it's time for the refreshed heads.

This puppy is starting to look like a moto!

And here is the goosy guide to aluminum refinishing..
Heads - beady blasted and cleaned
Cylinders - new from factory
Timing cover- beady blast and cleaned
Crankcase - washed with PineSol and Dremel brushed...

I might go back and clean the outer case but I doubt it. I'm more likely to ride the sucker 3000 miles and it'll all look good!

danedg screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 04:11 PM
danedg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:40 AM   #387
davebeef
Buffoon

Oddometer: 247
Lookin good Danedg!!
Of course those bead blasted parts will all now leak like a sieve and be as black as tar with all the dirt they will now pick up heh heh!!
Keep up the good work!!!
My Ambo has now reached British shores and should be with me within a week. Can't wait!!!
Kind rgds,
Dave.
davebeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #388
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
...and pull the whole cylinder back off as I neglected to add the two stinkin' orings at 12 and 6 oclock

Practice, practice, practice!
Excuse my ignorance but why have you put those two o-rings down at the base gasket area, when the parts book shows them above the head gasket? and the other four going beneath the rocker gear.

England-Kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #389
F_Sahms
mostly paved

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
Excuse my ignorance but why have you put those two o-rings down at the base gasket area, when the parts book shows them above the head gasket? and the other four going beneath the rocker gear.

Parts book is wrong in this case. Two o-rings go at the cylinder base, and four under the rocker carrier atop the head.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #390
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Mechanical Intuition

Thanks Fred,
I was about to launch into a long winded technical explanation about WHY those orings are down there, without actually possessing the factual knowledge! ( It happens more than I'd care to admit).
My heart went to my mouth this morning when Kev very correctly pointed out the parts drawing showing the rings above the cylinder. How could I be so DULL???!

But wait...there must have been a reason I did that without really knowing why. It's because Pete Roper told me so!
And because things are not always as they seem (or as they are described) in GuzziWorld.

If y'all haven't done so already you must visit This Old Tractor and scroll over to Moto Guzzi and down to Guzzitech.de archives and then to "motor strip with pictures". Pete has already done all the legwork that allowed me to tackle this project for the first time. Thanks again to Pete, Greg, Jens and all who put that together!
Despite my initial joy that the book had survived, I discovered early on that the Premier Motor Corporation, "V7 Operating Handbook For Stripping, Checking and Assembling Operations" was a bit... "off"

Despite being written in English, it seems to be more a translation from the Italian. It is highly Italian and often becomes a checklist of things to be done rather than a description of HOW they should be done...
Being fed a steady diet of BMW's , does NOT prepare one for a heaping helping of Linguini!
The Germans are deliberate and precise, as is their nature, and The Italians are passionate and compulsive, as is theirs.
One learns to trust the BMW parts fiche as a visual supplement, whereas the Italians have created a wonderful feast for the eye, whether it's accurate or not!

I knew those orings were there. A year ago, I wondered about them when I first pulled the cylinders.

I took pictures so that I would remember to put them back on when the time came. And then promptly forgot about it. Hell, I left 'em on there, until 2 days ago, and STILL forgot about 'em!
I printed out Pete Ropers' instructions and read them several times through as I reassembled, and sure enough, there are the two orings under the cylinder base. Neglected to put them back in the first time, as The Italian in me started to take over from the Teutonic pragmatist. I was loving the job more than thinking about it!

I was feeling very accomplished, when it was pointed out that that's not the way it's pictured in Tavola 3!
I ripped open my Spare Parts Catalog.
Damn! He's right! They are shown above the cylinder.
I dropped back to the Operating handbook. Page 46. ENGINE ASSEMBLY. They don't even mention the orings!
WTF?
Recheck Pete Roper and my own pics and sure enough, there they are.
My mechanical compass is now spinning...
The German in me would not have anticipated them being at the bottom of the cylinder base. It's "upside down".
And why are there rubber orings sealing the top end anyway?

Closer inspection of the cylinder base shows the countersink for the orings at 6 and 12.
The top of the head shows the same recess at 10, 2, 5 and 7.
I'm guessing they don't rely on the gasket to completely seal the deal.

But wait! The rocker assemblies have no gasket. That's why the rings are in the head. But why at the base?
This bike hasn't been so much a mechanical challenge as a mental exercise. Negotiating the truly International descriptions of How It Works, has been an eye opener!

Even Pete Ropers plan omitted a few details. But only because he was operating on a different motor. The oil pickup system for the Eldorado has to go on before the oil pump and timing train. On the T3 motor all that stuff is mounted to the pan, it CAN go on later. It was a PITA to work around but not that bed.

I've been thinking about WHY I'm writing all this up when it's already been done. It's because it HASN'T all been done and there are secrets and surprises from bike to bike. It's because my mechanical intuition is not infallible, and though I am a certified rocket surgeon, I still don't know doodly about many things!

Maybe the next guy can avoid falling face first into this International "soup".
It sure has been fun!

danedg screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 09:56 AM
danedg is online now   Reply With Quote