Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #91
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Glad you're out. Good attitude - nice smilin' pic with the mirror near the end. Terrific photos and report. Lookin' forward to ridin' along on your next adventure!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #92
GSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Awesome report and pics!

PM sent.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #93
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Wonderful report and the pictures make me want to spend some quality time in Utah. I spotted this report a few days ago but I waiting until this morning to look at it so I could take my time and enjoy it with my coffee.

About riding alone, well heck there's nothing like it. There are postives about riding with others but there's nothing like time out alone with your bike, your thoughts and the beautiful countryside.

Keep your wonderful reports coming
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #94
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
glad you weren't severly injured. Make rocky uphills your favorite. (sorry lilwan if you're reading along) Great pics once again and beautiful scenery.
More please
I miss LilWan and BigWan reports. Thanks redog1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stou View Post
Very good ride report and fantastics pictures!

I went to Moab 2 times and every time I look at pictures like that, it make me want to go there again.

Thanks for sharing!
Now that you mention it, I wanna go back! Honestly though, Moab kinda scares me because there are so many trails there that are above my skill level. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallbob View Post
Fantastic pics and ride report! Haven't been out that way for a few years and I'm itching to get back.

You did good to get up that rocky hill after you fell, thought for sure you would have to go back down and hit it again.
I did consider going back down, but decided it was near impossible to back down or turn around. Besides, I really didn't want a second try at all the stuff I had already cleared. I've studied the pics more. I think in order to be lined up for the right line through the area I fell, you would probably need to take what would initially appear to be the wrong line on the lower sections.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #95
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor View Post
Damn dude, that hill is G-G-G-Gnarled! For real! Scorpion?!?

Glad you managed to hoist the beast out so we can see the photos.
Hi Diek! The Scorpion turned out to be a decent choice for this trip, especially since I rode mostly asphalt. It did better than expected everywhere, but the one hill. I only had it on (again) because the tire I want is on backorder. I've had a Mefo SE on order for awhile, but I think the vendor forgot about me. I know you don't like compromise tires, but I've seen you riding the trails w/ Conti Trail Attacks. Although the front is starting to get worn, I really like the Kenda Big Block up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlyman View Post
John's Canyon is now on my to-do list! Again, thanks for the awesome thread.
That's so cool. I'm glad to add something to your bucket list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Glad you're out. Good attitude - nice smilin' pic with the mirror near the end. Terrific photos and report. Lookin' forward to ridin' along on your next adventure!
Thanks RRR! I probably won't get another chance for a long weekend ride like this again this year. My bike may not be so orange when next she appears! Let the farkling begin!
Old 10-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #96
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Wonderful report and the pictures make me want to spend some quality time in Utah. I spotted this report a few days ago but I waiting until this morning to look at it so I could take my time and enjoy it with my coffee.

About riding alone, well heck there's nothing like it. There are postives about riding with others but there's nothing like time out alone with your bike, your thoughts and the beautiful countryside.

Keep your wonderful reports coming
Thanks for coming along on another one Ladybug! I've done two trips this year that were not alone. Although I had a blast each time, I really needed this solo ride. I agree. There's nothing else like it.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #97
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,361
Great RR. Thanks for sharing.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #98
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,856
Dave, excellent report! I've seen John's Canyon rd from Muley Pt. and it's been on the bucket list of UT tracks for awhile now. Onion Creek is a great ride! Your photo's are spectacular. What are you using for a camera?

I saw where you didn't have time to hit the Comb Ridge area, def worth seeing if you get back that way. A great way to access it is Snow Flats Rd which starts off Hwy 261 about 10mi north of Moki Dugway. It's easily ridable on the 950 in dry weather and dumps you out on 163 near the bottom end of the ridge near Bluff, from there you got a choice, take Comb Wash or Butler Wash (backside of the ridge) north, ether one is pretty scenic.

You should get together with Signal and publish a book or a Calender. You both are really good at capturing Utah's beauty.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #99
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
dave...
i've been around this place a long time
THIS will be one of my favorite ride reports EVER... of that i have no doubt
thanks for all of this
the words
the exquisite photography

thank you
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #100
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
What are you using for a camera?
Hi RideFreak. I'd better hurry up and answer. Your avatar is scaring the crap outta me.
I'm using a Panasonic ZS5 Point-n-shoot for shooting on the move. I like this camera, but it's not holding up to the dust very well. I've had to disassemble it twice to clean the sensor. Not to worry, I have a Panasonic TS3 (waterproof and damn well better be dustproof) on the way here now.
I use a Pentax k5 DSLR. My main lens is a DA*16-50 f2.8. Other lenses used in this report include a Tamron 90 f2.8 Macro and a Samyang 8mm Fisheye.
Thanks for the Comb Ridge intell and the nice compliments.

ClearWaterBMW, Wow! Thanks for the kind words. It's not even one of my favorites.

Thanks swimmer!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #101
Sphene
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 32
Excellent report man. Other than John's Canyon, I've ridden most of the roads you did. Now that's all I can think about doing. Glad you got out in one piece and with only minor damage. The best thing about riding alone is that you're alone. That's also the worst thing sometimes. I agree with some others that both Butler & Comb Wash are great rides. By the way, your photos were pretty good too.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #102
woodmnctry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
wow!

Great ride/report and out of this world photography!
woodmnctry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #103
The Toecutter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Again awesome report, I need a photography class, amazing thanks!
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #104
Unclescar
Refried Bean

Oddometer: 65
What lens did you use in Shafer Canyon? Did you happen to save a GPX of the route? I haven't ridden out West but was looking at putting something together for next year (2012).
Old 10-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #105
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Thanks woodmnctry & Sphene!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter View Post
Again awesome report, I need a photography class, amazing thanks!
Toecutter, No reason to sign up for a class. I've not taken any. If you are motivated to learn, there are tons of free tutorials and photography forums like dgrin.com. A few books here and there and lots of practice are probably all you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclescar View Post
What lens did you use in Shafer Canyon? Did you happen to save a GPX of the route? I haven't ridden out West but was looking at putting something together for next year (2012).
I mostly used a Samyang 8mm Fisheye lens for those wide angle shots from the rider's seat. The shots from the overlook were taken with a Pentax DA*16-50 f2.8 lens.

I do have GPX files for all 4 days. I'll try to post them here, but there are many roads along this route that should be added to any complete ride in this area, weather permitting.