User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
GHanson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Schuberth C3 SRC notes

I thought I'd break the SRC out of the helmet thread.

It works better than I expected after reading some of the comments here. I can make and receive calls, and the sound quality is good even with my crappy hearing. I haven't even gotten around to moving the speakers, it sounds so good to start.

Bluetooth pairing has been problem-free. Haven't tried the intercom yet. The radio works pretty well. Version 3.0 is the current software and the PC interface with the helmet is easy to use, especially when it comes to saving your favorite local stations.

The SRC lacks some of the functionality of the Scala G4, but according to Schuberth USA they're working on adding some of it in a future upgrade. I asked specifically about adjustability of the voice activation (VOX) and automatic gain control (AGC) like they have in the G4. No timetable for implementation, but it's nice to know they're listening to the users.

Voice dialing through the helmet was wonky at first, but I did the phone voice recognition thing with the helmet mic and it works a whole lot better. And my supposedly "smart" phone is pretty marginal even on a good day helmet or no helmet. It's time for a new phone anyway if they could ever decide on the latest and greatest 4G Android.

I think the SRC will be useful to me at about 60MPH or less. Any faster I'll have earplugs in for sure, and with plugs the sound quality --with my ears --is degraded enough that it probably wouldn't be worth using it. That's speculative because up to now I wear earplugs all the time, but the C3 has enough noise attenuation that it may be possible to go plugless for extended periods at slower speeds. I'll find out.

I bought my helmet and SRC from Sean at BMW of Atlanta; great people who go the extra mile for their customers. Highly recommended!
GHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,603
When you added the collar with the Blue Tooth controls, did it impact the way the helmet fits?
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
GHanson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Good question. I dunno. Sean put the SRC in before shipping the helmet to me, so I haven't worn the thing with the original collar. The SRC is less pliable so they recommend spreading the helmet apart with the straps when donning it. But once it's on I'm not aware of the collar at all. It seems to be pretty well padded.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 3,057
I added the SRC after a couple of weeks riding without it. Noticed no difference in the fit at all, but that little USB dongle has a hard time staying tucked out of the way.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
SpaceBiker
ZOOMing homeBODY

Oddometer: 53
Have had the C3 for a couple of years, got the SRC two month ago, no change in fit and comfort using Roadcrafter gear. USB cable stay in place if carefully
placed in grove between helmet and SRC.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
GHanson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So far I've tucked the cable in thusly

and haven't had any problems with it.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
ultrarnr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Problems with SRC

I have had my SRC for a few weeks and have problems with it. I connect to a Garmin 550 and listen to XM radio through the FM system on the SRC. When I first turn on the SRC it will often start showing 2 blue flashes. If you try to turn on the FM radio nothing happens. So you turn the system off and then turn it back on. After 2-3 trys it will usually starts with just 1 flash which is how it is supposed to work. Other times it will start with 1 blue flash and as soon as it connects with the Garmin it goes to two blue flashes. Again you have to keep turning the system off and back on until you get it to connect to the Garmin and only see 1 blue flash. A bit of a PIA. When I first installed the SRC I had a lot of problems with the FM radio just randomly cutting off. Again, you had to turn the system off and then back on. That hasn't happened since I upgraded the firmware to 3.0 but the issue of the SRC immediately showing 2 blue flashes seems to be a lot worse with the 3.0 firmware. Have emailed Schuberth and waiting to hear back. I also noticed that if I was listening to FM and a phone call came in after the call was over it would not go back to FM. Again, you had to restart the entire system. I also wish the buttons were more obvious. I may epoxy a small washer to one just to make it easier to find with gloves on. It sucks when you have problems with it but the traffic situation doesn't allow you to mess with it. I also noticed when the system was flashing two blue flashes on startup that the normal Bluetooth features worked fine. The GPS commands and any music saved on the Garmin would play. If you didn't actually see the two blue flashes you would never realize the issue. I had a G-4 system on my RX-Q so not really surprised by these problems since Cardosystems makes both. It just sucks when you pay this much for the systems and have problems with it.
ultrarnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:33 AM   #8
GHanson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

High flash Anxiety

Something's not right with the flash count on your SRC, according the the manual. You're supposed to see three blue flashes on startup. When I read your post I cranked up my helmet () and sure enough, three blue flashes.

What relationship between flash count and the difficulties you're having is anybody's guess. Counting flashes is about the limit of my expertise with this thing. Mine seems to work reasonably well most of the time, which what I expected of it.

That's the gripe with electronic gadgets, isn't it? The more they're capable of doing, the more thought and effort the operator has to put into it, and when you simplify the interface it actually requires more thought and effort from the operator.

Case in point: flash counting. I can turn the SRC on without outside assistance on my good days, but I thought "What else can I do with this thing? How about I check the battery level? Yeah!" Only problem, I don't remember which button or combinations of buttons to push to accomplish this mundane task. Out comes the manual, thumb past the German, Czech, Polish, French, etc. to find "Push and hold the volume UP button for three seconds and COUNT THE DAMN FLASHES.

You get enough SRC owners together, you could have a flash mob. But how else could Cardo do it? You say you're having problems with five buttons; what if they added a dedicated button for checking the battery level?

Everything's a tradeoff of one good versus another.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass View Post
When you added the collar with the Blue Tooth controls, did it impact the way the helmet fits?
It did not change the fit for me.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
GHanson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Been checking the Cardo Scala G4 thread to see what they have to say and I saw something interesting:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=114

If it's the case the SRC senses ambient noise when you turn it on, and uses that level for VOX and AGC sensitivity until it's cycled off and on again, then waiting until the bike's moving to turn on the SRC would make make the headset work a lot better.

Has anyone tried this?

The G4 guys can adjust the sensitivity manually; the SRC doesn't have that capability (yet).
Old 05-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
MarcFTL
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Schuberth SRC Issues

I have had very bad luck with the SRC. I waited for the 3.0 firmware release and thats when everything failed. At least under 2.20, my Palm Pre would work.

The SRC matched with a C3 is a work of art. They physically integrate flawlessly.

I do have to comment that Mike Tellerico from Schuberth went above and beyond to try to get my unit working correctly. We spent close to 90 minutes on the phone trying to get my Palm Pre, my Zumo 660 and the C3 Helmet talking with each other. We talked bout the issue being with my Palm Pre but the palm worked with Firmware 2.20 so something changes. I also thing that either the helmet or the C3 interrupt the blue tooth signal from my Palm. Needless to say it was not going to fly.

I was going to send my C3 Helmet and SRC unit back to the on_line store I bought them from, but more and more I think i may keep the helmet.

I have been looking on_line for 3 days now and I can't find a helmet with better specs or better reviews. The helmet is tight inside (I wear an XXL C3 and an XL in most other helmets) but it is very quiet and solid. And I wish they had a Wired SRC system available.

Add to this to the help I got from Mike at Schuberth, the C3 helmet is going to be a keeper even with the very high price tag.

My closing comments to Mike was to please make a C3 USA model with a bit more chin space and a bit rounder for us USA round headed type folks.

For all I Know they may do that some time.

I am talking with J&M now as they say they have a wired Comm unit specially designed for the C3. No more Blue tooth for me. Let you know how that works. Still getting info on that.
MarcFTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
GHanson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Interesting about the J&M wired rig for the C3. Please report on it if you go that route. A wired connection should be better and give you a lot more flexibility than bluetooth, but you have to deal with the cable.

Just got in from my first ride of any length with the C3 + SRC. I couldn't be happier with the C3; it's quiet, the sun visor works smoothly with complete coverage, the pinlock shield prevents fogging and the whole package is light and comfortable on a long ride. It would be tough to go back to the C2 after wearing this helmet.

The SRC worked very well, in my terms at least. The priority for me was the ability to use a cell phone on the bike, with GPS, commo and music in that order more or less. All of this has to happen within the limitations imposed by bluetooth, of course, and that ain't perfect, but it does work. Not perfectly, but pretty consistenly.

My current phone is a BB Storm2 -- I have a separate list of gripes about it -- but it did everything I asked of today except voice dial a buddy of mine with a French name. I tried every pronunciation I could think of, including some he probably wouldn't be happy about, but it wouldn't work. But that's a phone limitation in my opinion, not attributable to the SRC. Everything else, volume, voice dialing, receiving a call, etc. worked great.

The VOX and AGC seemed to work better today after turning on the SRC while in motion, so that the base noise level sample was louder. At one point I was talking to my wife at 65MPH with earplugs in and I could understand her. I couldn't get enough volume previously, so I think it made a difference.

I used the FM radio today and so far I concur, you need a good signal or it will cut out. But it worked pretty well with a strong signal.

Still haven't been able to use the intercom with anyone yet.

It is a bit of a relief to confirm that the reasons you chose the helmet were valid.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #13
katego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass View Post
Once it is on, no. Except for the mic. I haven't found a way to have it inside the helmet and not be annoyed by it. You also have to remove the little wind triangle. And since now you have a battery pack in the neck roll it is noticeably heavier.

-k
Old 06-06-2011, 03:20 AM   #14
Hap Hazard
Adv Want a B

Oddometer: 67
Voice dialing

A tip that helped me with voice dialing was to assign phonetic codes like pilots use to frequently called numbers. For instance, wife = Alpha, office = Baker, riding buddy= Charlie. The phone is able to recognize these words easily. there are only a few numbers that I'm likely to call so remembering the code is not hard.
Hap Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 AM   #15
Omer
Brrrr

Oddometer: 21
Posted this in the helmet thread, but I'll repost here with some more details.
Overall, quite happy initially - not so much now.

SRC pros:
  1. Fits very well, same as original collar
  2. Reasonable sound quality (if just)
  3. Excellent battery life (~2 whole days of music with some intercom mixed in)

SRC cons:
  1. Could be louder
  2. Suffers from bad clipping at higher volumes (which are still not high enough)
  3. Range is pretty short compared to G4 with its external antenna - SRC works up to ~200m with line of sight. You are often further away from your riding partner.
  4. The big one: left speaker ceased working after ~2 months of use

For the speaker issue - recycling power did not help.
Sent to Schuberth Germany, hopefully I get it back before my trip next week (or I steal my GF's ).

Incidentally, there is a place to tuck in the USB charger cable - the sleeve opposite it (though it's somewhat poorly thought out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by katego View Post
You also have to remove the little wind triangle.
Certain? I haven't removed mine, and it doesn't seem to interfere with the mic.

Omer screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 09:26 AM
Omer is offline   Reply With Quote