Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #46
Gruesome OP
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 685
dremel abrasion test - leather vs kevlar

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robare View Post
I did my own 'abrasion test' also comparing the kevlar stretch material from motoport, icon barrier pants with the aramid material and a 30+ year old leather jacket. I took a dremel tool to each timing how long it took to wear through. The icon pants did very poorly, about 1/6th of the time the kevlar took. To my surprise the 30+ year old weather battered piece of leather still did better than the kevlar. I'd say the kevlar was 3/4 what the leather was. I know this wasn't too scientic either, but felt it shows something. Under normal circumstances I would expect the kevlar to do better because it would flex and move more in a slide.
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #47
caudebec43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
So why know Lederhosen

Strikes me that with a good pair of boots and a lot of us riding Bavarian /Austrian rigs that we the "look" would be a good knee length pair of lederhosen.... how could I be wrong.. maybe I should have some cofee first?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2-Pcs-LE...t_13139wt_1185
caudebec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #48
Valentino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Caudebec, I think you're forgetting the importance of wearing suitable safety headgear too:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-Ger...item416839d095
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #49
Uri
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz View Post
Some things never change.

Back in the 80's, I read a similar test in some motorcycle magazine. They kept it simple, no crash test dummies. They built an arm rig on the back of a pickup truck, where they covered a bag of dry mix concrete with material, and then attached it to the arm rig. They drove at different speeds (25 to 55 mph if I remember correctly), dropped the arm, then slowed down to simulate sliding to a stop.

The bags of dry mix concrete gave a good indicator of when a hole wore through the material, as the could see the powder fly (literally).

They tried leathers, jeans, and what textiles were available then.

Leathers won, of course. None of the samples wore through. Leathers were thicker and stiffer than some of today's stuff.

Textiles varied. Some held up better than others, but they all had holes in the end. Road rash was a inevitable.

Jeans... They literally exploded on contact. The article said it sounded like a double barrel 12 gauge going off.

The sad part is that I still just ride in jeans and a textile jacket.
i know this post is old but...:

Quote:
Reprint from a
Sept 88 "Cycle" magazine article "Abrasion Testing: Torn in the USA".

Drag Test

"For the Drag Test, samples were stitched to a bag that held a 75-pound
sandbag inside a milk crate, then dragged behind a pickup truck..."

New, 100% Cotton Denim Jeans ----------------------- 3' 10"
Senior Balistic Nylon ----------------------------------- 3' 10"
Leather, Lightweight, Nude Finish, 2.25 oz/sq. ft. --- 4' 3"
Leather, Fashion Weight, 1.75 oz/sq ft. ------------- 4' 4"
Two-year-old 100% Cotton Denim Jeans ------------ 4' 5"
Cordura Nylon Type 440 ----------------------------- 18' 3"
Kevlar 29 Aramid Fiber, Style 713 ------------------ 22' 1"
Leather, Competition Weight, 3 oz/sq. ft. -------- 86' 0"

Taber Test

"For the Taber Test, the specimen was mounted on a rotating platform and
scuffed by two rubber-emery grinding wheels." The numbers represent the
number of revolutions until the fabric totally fails. A vacuum clears
debris.

Two-year-old 100% Cotton Denim Jeans 168
New 100% Cotton Denim Jeans 225
Kevlar 29 Aramid Fiber, Style 713 506
Cordura Nylon, Type 440 559
Leather, Lightweight, Nude Finish, 2.25 oz./sq. ft. 564
Leather, Fashion Weight, 1.75 oz./sq. ft. 750
Senior Ballistic Nylon 817
Leather, Competition Weight, 3 oz./sq. ft. 2600

More to consider...

"Finally, protection from road abrasion cannot be guaranteed by a
materials abrasion resistance alone. A jacket may have panels of
highly abrasion-resistant materials, yet if low-quality stitching joins
those panels and the seams come apart upon impact or during a slide, then
the abrasion resistance of the panels could count for nothing.
Furthermore, an ill-fitting garment may ride up in a slide, contorting
the body and exposing the skin. And the best jacket in the world, left
unzipped and/or unsnapped, won't give riders the protection they pay
for. When it comes to safety, the issues are more complex than just the
abrasion resistance of materials."
Old 09-20-2012, 01:36 AM   #50
Simplyred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
What I don't understand is WHY these topics keep coming back at us. Everybody knows leather is the best possible basic material to prevent from all kinds of trouble during accidents. Really.

But, still most of us don't buy it. Why would that be??

Maybe because most of us don't feel much for being recognized as some kind of "Hells Angel" all the time?

We do not buy a suit for safety reasons ONLY. That is an important issue, yes, but not the most important issue that drives our sales decision in general. Now there is the important thing: in general.

Because there are individuals who do buy with safety as most important purchase motivation. And I guess being the expert community that we are, our community here does hold a large part of those drivers. And there is nothing wrong with that either. But most of the drivers have other priorities, another mixture of expectations from their gear.

It would be nice if such "tests" would not only be limited to just one aspect of motorcycle suits (like: safety) but instead would be dealing with the 20 most important buying reasons for instance. Test it as a whole.

Compare a top grade leather suit against a Rukka suit for being waterproof ONLY. Then look what happens. And then conclude: leather suits suck, because textile goretex garments are more waterproof ? How silly would that be ?

Nevertheless we are still discussing this based on only road safety, repeating old tests and old arguments.

Compare a textile and a leather suit on ALL possible aspects, and then let's talk business again.
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #51
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post

Compare a textile and a leather suit on ALL possible aspects, and then let's talk business again.
A + 0.5 here. Not a full +1, but...

For fair-weather riders in cooler climates, this still seems the most pertinent test.

But then for 'extremists' ... be it rain, heat (as it is here in FL), etc., the trade-offs are worth mentioning.

I, too, used to ride much harder - and feel safer - in a full Dainese leather 2-piece riding outfit. I just can't see myself investing in one for here in south Florida now, not even with perforated leather, unless I did like others do and just quit riding on the hottest days.
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #52
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Any real life experience wearing the BMW Rallye 3 suit on sliding on the tarmac? It's always on my mind what the catalog said "Specially developed for off-road use" and then, there we are, crossing all the continent on twisty roads, freeways and all sort of pavement roads. And only a fraction of the ride on dirt.
yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #53
Gruesome OP
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post
That's what I did, and how I ended up (after the Harro) with the Atlantis 4. Leather, waterproof, best-in-class protectors, and no membrane to marinate you in your own sweat. I understand if somebody doesn't want to or can't spend 1200 bucks on a riding suit, but I'm afraid a lot of people here are simply not fully aware of the facts and the available options out there, and do spend more than that on less than optimal comfort and protection.
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #54
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

As ugly as it would be, has anyone ever seen a leather / textile mix ? The protection of leather in the most needed areas, the open flowing textile for cooling in others... and probably really, really ugly looking.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #55
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
As ugly as it would be, has anyone ever seen a leather / textile mix ? The protection of leather in the most needed areas, the open flowing textile for cooling in others... and probably really, really ugly looking.
There are some around. And while the leather is in the most important spots there's no guarantee that's where you'll slide or that the seams will hold.

In summer leather isn't even an option here, I've been caught in hot winter days and regretted being in leather, unbearably hot. A bad summer day (high 30's C) you'd be unconcious in 30 minutes.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:39 AM   #56
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,682
Once, long ago on a really hot day I rode in my Stitch jacket with my black leather pants. My legs were way cooler than my upper body was. Not long after I sold the Stitch and continued my ride in my FG Stealth outfit.

Since going more off road and riding in more dirt and water I figure the textiles should be easier to clean. I've crashed at the track twice in leather and once on the road in a Stitch. The Stitch was a low side on a hairpin turn so speed wasn't high and it worked fine. The high speed ones wouldn't have been so kind to it.

Don't forget that textiles don't slide as well so on pavement it will cause a lot of tumbling where most injuries to the extremities happen. Ever watch a Moto GP rider, they usually just slide to a stop so it's only the intitial impact that causes the injury.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #57
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Once, long ago on a really hot day I rode in my Stitch jacket with my black leather pants. My legs were way cooler than my upper body was.
Why would that be?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #58
Phat Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...ition-2-jacket

not bad looking at all
Phat Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #59
totomoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Once, long ago on a really hot day I rode in my Stitch jacket with my black leather pants. My legs were way cooler than my upper body was. Not long after I sold the Stitch and continued my ride in my FG Stealth outfit.
Did you wear the textiles in your avatar underneath? That may explain why your legs were cooler than your upper body.
totomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #60
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,682
Quote:
Why would that be?
Leather (like your skin) breathes better than nylon / goretex does