Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #76
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,473
Thanks for the write up and pics Bad Dad!

Man, if I lived where you lived, or even south, a full leather riding suit would still be my preferred choice.

I'm more depressed about my mesh gear for south Florida now, but if it wasn't for it I don't think I'd even be riding.

If I could only try out a well-perforated leather jacket, first, to see if I could stand it in 90 degree, 100% humidity days...
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #77
Ape76
NB

Oddometer: 169
Bad Dad,

That's one heck of a crash! Glad you came out ok for the most past. Mesh gear just scares me in general even though it may be suitable for really hot weather...
Ape76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #78
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,720
I knew there was pain involved

Actually you did really well, lesser crashes can still be fatal

BTW, I've still got scars from burns like that after crashing at the track in full leathers from the mesh nylon lining.

Looking at the after pic reminds me of riding with some guys in the Adirondacks and one guy wipes out and breaks the forks and steering stem right off the frame on a GSXR and you can see how beefy they are .
Old 10-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #79
Bad Dad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Yeah, I really got off easy on that one, stayed on the road, didn't go flying into the trees that ear right on the edge of the road, no oncoming traffic, ect. All the gear and a pinch of good luck!. I replaced the mesh jacket with a full perf. leather Joe Rocket I got on closeout from motorcyclegear.com. Nothing fancy, but at least it's leather. It did good in some 90 degree heat in southern Ohio. I've got a one piece Berik Moto GP suit that I'd have been wearing but it seemed to have shrunk a size over the winter.
Bad Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:58 AM   #80
K0m4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
As far as textile goes, http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=517 outlines my crashing experience with Halvarssons Hi-Art material. It faired so well, that for any legal (or even up to 150 km/h) street riding, I don't hold it as less than leather. Surely, leather will be better in real high speeds, but that's not what I ride in on roads.

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #81
MANYMOTORCYCLES
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post

Don't forget that textiles don't slide as well so on pavement it will cause a lot of tumbling where most injuries to the extremities happen. Ever watch a Moto GP rider, they usually just slide to a stop so it's only the intitial impact that causes the injury.
Dan Alexander, where can I read more about how textiles don't slide as well on pavement and cause tumbling injuries?
MANYMOTORCYCLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #82
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
As ugly as it would be, has anyone ever seen a leather / textile mix ? The protection of leather in the most needed areas, the open flowing textile for cooling in others... and probably really, really ugly looking.
Not ugly at all. Check this Stadler TrackPro (GoreTex ProShell Cordura AND leather) http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=10

I have actually tried it recently at a Stadler dealer, it's on my Christmas shopping list. Excellent fit, nice features and confidence inspiring.
dragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #83
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANYMOTORCYCLES View Post
Dan Alexander, where can I read more about how textiles don't slide as well on pavement and cause tumbling injuries?
Wow, this is stuff I learned many years ago from moto magazine tests.

Not sure what google will show now.

Start here and keep going

https://www.google.ca/search?q=leath...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734081
Old 12-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #84
Gruesome OP
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 716
Wicked

Glad to see that the old thread is still alive...
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #85
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
Not surprising... but if you wear full leathers where I live, you will suffer from heat stroke while riding.
+1. I broke down & invested in mesh after years of stopping to think which was more dangerous…passing out from heat stroke with the leather on, or riding in my t-shirt & staying reasonably alert. BTW… I've had this happen in Maine & Canada as well as the southland. August & humidity can be a bitch anywhere.
Jim K. is online now   Reply With Quote