User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #181
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Down Dog

Gotta get Down Dog on these rides too. I want to see how the husky handles the sand. It should have been bred for those roads and sandy surfaces!

grump
grumpybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #182
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
Gotta get Down Dog on these rides too. I want to see how the husky handles the sand. It should have been bred for those roads and sandy surfaces!

grump
Hi grumpybear!
Uhh, I'm just wonderin, Uh, are you talking about motorcycles or sled dogs?!!
Regards....just jeff
just jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #183
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 12-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #184
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

When the ice on LacLaBiche gets thick enough the County builds an ice road across the lake as a shortcut to the other side. Does Cold Lake get any ice roads ? I'm thinking of a winter ice ride.
Regards....just jeff
Old 12-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #185
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
When the ice on LacLaBiche gets thick enough the County builds an ice road across the lake as a shortcut to the other side. Does Cold Lake get any ice roads ? I'm thinking of a winter ice ride.
Regards....just jeff
I've flown over Cold Lake for the past two Winters, and I could see pressure ridges all over. In white out conditions, it could be very dangerous. There are people going ice fishing with their vehicles, but I wouldn't venture on it with my bike. But it is feasible...

And BTW, GrumpyBear is referring to a friend that rides a Husqvarna, and is nickname is downdog...!!
To sin by silence makes cowards out of men! Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Peace is mostly valued by those who are sworn to protect it! Unknown
outbacktaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #186
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

No roads across

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Regards....just jeff
Not much need to have ice roads across Cold Lake as the only activity north of Cold Lake is the CLAWR. There is some oil and gas activity to the north and west of the city of Cold Lake but it much nicer to travel on the pavement than across the lake.

Any updates on the "Festival of Speed" or what ever it`s called, happens in March or late Feb? Really enjoy watching the sidecar races.

grump
Old 12-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #187
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
There are a few cabins on the east and north east sides that hauled in over the ice. It's pretty cool watching a tractor and trailer with a load getting on the ice at the marina. I've run a sled all it isn't to much to worry about, usually to busy looking for a bit of snow to keep the sliders from melting. The town of Cold lake used to run a grader around just north of the marina and run all classes of ice racing cars (no bikes) on it. Bonnyville, Glendon and St paul formed an informal kind of league, shame it died out in the 90's. I've been thinking of building an ice bike for a long time, had an 87 CBR600 that I was going to cleat up and run at the numb bum but couldn't find a team. Now I have a DR200 and might try to collect a couple extra tires to try it out.
wos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #188
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Studded tires

When I was younger and healed much quicker, I had a Honda Trials bike which I equipped for winter fun by drilling sheet metal screws into the knobs. Nowhere near the ice spikes they use today bit they really increased the traction and confidence on ice. I really wish I still had the trials bike, would be a lot more fun than trying to keep the KLR upright.

I hope the Lac La Biche ice racing continues. Pretty amazing to watch the racers blast around the track, be it solo or sidecar. I've read the traction and lean angle is better on ice than what can be done on dirt.

I thought it might be fun to equip Shortstuff's GL sidecar rig with spikes and go ice racing but she wasn't real keen on the idea. She doesn't seem to mind me taking it for a ride to town in January. I think she likes hearing the stories about the weird looks and reactions I get.

grump
Old 12-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #189
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Warmest day this month

With the temperature reaching almost -3C, I thought today would be a good day to go for a ride. I tried riding in the hay field but the snow was deep enough my feet were getting pushed off the pegs ( stock footpegs and old boots). It got to be a bit too much trying to keep my weight on the back of the seat for traction and keep my feet on the pegs.
Anyway, lots of fun!
re
Old 12-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #190
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
I've been digging through the Laclabiche town website and they don't show anything about racing this season. The links to the ice racing leagues don't even show anything going on, but they don't seem to be up to date. Fingers crossed that something comes up though. Went a couple years ago and it was fun, -25 and blowing like a bastard, but fun.

looks fun Grumpy. I might have to bolt a car battery up to the Dr and see if she'll run.
wos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #191
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

March 2&3

Found on the NASCC site ( northen alberta sports car club) they have March 2 and 3 as race days in Lac La Biche. The Sask Snowmobile drag racers mention the next weekend ( Mar 8-10) as race weekend in LLB. Maybe things will become clear in a while.

Was fun riding yesterday. The only problem was the front tire had a lot less traction and control than the rear tire. Had to really watch on any ridges or tracks, the front end would slide or skid. I'm really surprised by the traction of the K60 on the rear. Had lots of snow coming over the tool tube in front the engine.

grump

grumpybear screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 03:26 PM Reason: info
Old 12-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #192
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
Found on the NASCC site ( northen alberta sports car club) they have March 2 and 3 as race days in Lac La Biche. The Sask Snowmobile drag racers mention the next weekend ( Mar 8-10) as race weekend in LLB. Maybe things will become clear in a while.

Was fun riding yesterday. The only problem was the front tire had a lot less traction and control than the rear tire. Had to really watch on any ridges or tracks, the front end would slide or skid. I'm really surprised by the traction of the K60 on the rear. Had lots of snow coming over the tool tube in front the engine.

grump
I'm sorry I missed that! I was in Edmonton this weekend. Used to ride my RM 125 in the winter all the time when I grew up in Medicine Hat. Nothing like a hundred foot broadside in foot deep snow! Of coures I was somewhat younger then....
I have an inside contact on the Winter Festival of Speed, I will find out and let you guys know. I think the March 2-3 was the 2012 event still showing on the website.
Regards....just jeff
Old 12-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #193
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

March 3rd Ice races?

My 2012 Little Black book from Belt Drive Betty has March 3rd listed as the Festival of speed and Motorcycle Ice racing.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #194
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Oddometer: 515
Thanks for droppin' by today with ShortStuff, GrumpyBear... You guys lit my day!!

And seriously, I really thought you knew about that brand of beer...!! And I really thought that was why you had chosen that name!!

Happy Holidays to you all, NorthEastern Albertans!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Celebrate responsibly and see you all next season!!
To sin by silence makes cowards out of men! Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Peace is mostly valued by those who are sworn to protect it! Unknown
outbacktaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #195
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Surprised

Shortstuff and I thought we might see Mrs Outbacktaz but it was great surprise to see you and have a short visit. I'd never heard of Grumpy Bear beer, when I saw it, I had to buy it. See how it tastes tomorrow night. Have to see if I can get a picture of the label for my avatar.

I got my grumpy name from my daughter. I was not enjoying work the last couple of years before I retired. She started calling me a grumpy bear because I was so miserable. I thought it would be a good way of reminding myself to enjoy life and not sweat or worry the small things.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the riders in the area and to all the folks lurking on the thread.

grump