User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #226
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Playing in the snow

Since we can't change the weather, Shortstuff and I decided to have some fun and tested the Ural in the snow. What a gas!! Slipping, sliding, drifting, plowing through puddles like a couple of 5 year olds. After getting soaked, we decided it was time to put the Yamal away for the night.

Even with the fun we had this afternoon, I can't wait for this white stuff to leave!
grumpybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #227
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
stop holding out on us, throw up a video
It was really tempting to drag the Dr out for a foot down rip around the neighborhood.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #228
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone been riding?

So...anyone been out riding? Got about 350kms on Shortstuff's Ural. Looking forward to the 1000km checkup, hoping they can set the valve so they're a bit quieter.

Looks like in about a week we might get some nicer temperatures.

grump
Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #229
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Oddometer: 488
That would be nice if the weather would get a little warmer... It's kindda chill in the morning to commute to work...!!

Can't wait to put in some good mileage!!
To sin by silence makes cowards out of men! Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Peace is mostly valued by those who are sworn to protect it! Unknown
outbacktaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #230
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
road three out of the four bikes in my garage on the weekend, just around town. Melted the leg of my new Bilt pants all over a friends 650 savage's pipe. The magic of oven cleaner and hatred cleaned that up nice.
The Vstrom has a charging problem, through a new battery at it and I pulled all the connectors off the regulator and cleaned them. Seems to have done the trick but I'm going to pull the ground off the motor and clean that too.
I am getting a lot of "what the hell are you doing" looks. The gravel and sand all over has a lot of others nervous, but they never clean the streets here in cold lake anyway so it's best to get used to it.
I'm on nights this week and the ground is just a little to wet and cold to trust on the way home at night, hopefully better next week.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #231
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Weird looks?? Check!! Little chat with my boss about dangers of riding a motorbike with all the sand and water around the base?? Check!! Trying to make him understand that I left for Montreal last year on the 22 April... Priceless!!
Old 04-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #232
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Hi Guys!
Just checking in. It's snowing here right now, about an in in the last couple of hours.
I had the KLR out for a couple of test rides as snow and temps permitted. Really like how it's coming along. Lookng forward to the snow being gone and meeting you all. Great looking Ural Grumpybear!
Reagards....justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #233
The Flounder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Spring is near

Made it out today, did lot's of work on v-strom over winter and wanted to see if everything was in order. Only had to fix two things to get it going, but I got a good test run in before the snow hit. Supposed to warm up next week, my kids are doubtful but I can hardly wait.
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #234
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Spring...finally

Looks like spring might have finally arrived! Could do without the wind but at least it's warm and the snow is almost gone.

Had Shortstuff's Goldwing hack out for a drive this afternoon, the suspension upgrades are great! I've been driving the Ural the past couple of weeks, driving the Goldwing was like driving a Cadillac.

Saw a blue Vstrom on main street in Bonnyville, the bike had a Rotopac on the rear luggage rack. Anyone from this site?

What a beautiful evening!! 10C outside, just got back from running around the farm on the Ural, driving thru the muddles in the field and checking out ski trails. Managed to scare out 2 rabbitts, and their fur was no longer white!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #235
downdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Well I hope everyone got out for a ride this weekend. I made a run up to Seibert Lake this afternoon. It was great to be on the bike after caging it for the last 7 months.

The best part of the day was the last 22 km into the lake.

A nice mix of gravel, sand, water, and muck

The road to Pinehurst looked like it was in good shape, never gone into Pinehurst that way before.

Going to be a few more weeks before the boats are getting in

Beautiful blue sky today

downdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #236
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by downdog View Post
Well I hope everyone got out for a ride this weekend. I made a run up to Seibert Lake this afternoon. It was great to be on the bike after caging it for the last 7 months.

The best part of the day was the last 22 km into the lake.

A nice mix of gravel, sand, water, and muck

The road to Pinehurst looked like it was in good shape, never gone into Pinehurst that way before.

Going to be a few more weeks before the boats are getting in

Beautiful blue sky today
That road looks like lots of fun!! I'd do it, but I'd wait for it to be dryer... Don't wanna tug my bike out of a mud pit!! LoL

That 2 last pictures here, isn't that where we went last year with Grumpy Bear and Mrs Outbacktaz??

Looks like it was a nice ride...

I went out as well, but of course, there was a cager blocking the access to my favourite back trail... So I came back Home...
Old 05-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #237
downdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Hey Marty, I think you would have done fine, the road wasn't too bad it was a hoot on the Husky.
Some of the roads I took were the same as our trip last year, but everything North of hwy 55 was different.
Will have to plan a group ride soon!
downdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #238
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by downdog View Post
Will have to plan a group ride soon!
Totally, but I have a big Exercise that's about to happen and we'll probably have to postpone it until end of June... But then, we'll do a nice ride that ends with cold ones...!! How's that for a plan?? We'll have to get Grumpy and Shortstuff out as well!! I want to see that hack of theirs...!! LoL
Old 05-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #239
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

First ride with the Ural

Good to hear you guys got out. Shortstuff and I headed out down into Fergusson Flats area yesterday. Spent 4 beautiful warm hours showing her the area and the roads, she had fun. We can home from Chicken Hill Lake on Hiway 28 with a tailwind, really made good time then.

Downdog, i didn't know there was a way from Seibert over to Pinehurst lake other than the way we went in the fall. Have to research that, may make a good loop?

grump
Old 05-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #240
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Hi Everyone!
On the Pinehurst lake road before the campground and boat dock there is a staging area for ohvs on the left. I followed it for 4 or 5k last year. As I was by myself I didn't want to go any deeper into unknown territory. It apparently goes deep into the Touchwood Lake group and ends up at Blackett Lake. The trail was good two track but not suitable for street tires. I would be interested in getting together with someone and checking it out further sometime. My map also shows the trail you may be thinking of called Wishbone trail and is 25+k long
The Old Conklin Trail is still on the agenda for a group ride this year too. I am going to do a ride tomorrow to check out the conditions and bike. I may stay overnight at Wappau Lake and come back Sunday. Not sure yet.
Regards....just jeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote