User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #706
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Oddometer: 520
I guys!!

We're settled, finally, in our new Home... For the time to be... We're planning on buying a house soon enough!!

The trip went well!! We managed to do the road trip in about 6 days... All went well!! No bad weather, only bumper stickers in Ontario...

Mrs Taz and the kidz are quite happy with the new military quarters we're in, but there's no garage...

Any way, ride safe, I still have a lot of Summer left to ride!!

Cheers!
To sin by silence makes cowards out of men! Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Peace is mostly valued by those who are sworn to protect it! Unknown
outbacktaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #707
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Good to hear you all made it safe and sound. Good luck with the new job.

04 wee, 07 wee, 09 klr, 02 wing.
I like sidecars also
grumpybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #708
cdn_wolf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Greetings everyone.

My wife and I are traveling from Calgary to Slave Lake and then on to Meadow Lake. Was wondering how heavy the traffic, mainly the truck traffic, is. She'll be on a Yamaha Majesty and me on a wee. Last year we got inundated with logging trucks for a few hours. I was ok with it, the wife not so much. Any insights into the Meadow Lake area would be greatly appreciated.

Each year we choose a trip to somewhere that at least one of us has not been too. My wife has never been to Northern (north of Edmonton) Alberta or northern Saskatchewan. I skirted Slave Lake last year on a bike trip and was amazed by the beauty of the area. As a youth, I had been on a fishing trip to La Ronge. I never made it west of there.

The plan is to spend 2-3 nights camped near Kinuso and 3-4 nights in Meadow Lake, probably a hotel. The wife is a trooper. She has camped more the past 5 years then the previous 45. No one is more grateful then I. If someone has any recommendations, I am all ears.

Thank you all in advance

Ride safe
Phil
cdn_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #709
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

road report

Can't help you on the sask side regarding road conditions or traffic. On the Alberta side, Highway 55 ( la Corey to Cold lake) or 28 ( Bonnyville to Cold lake) will be busy with lots of traffic in the morning and in the afternoon after 4 pm. The oil tankers seem to be on the road at all hours of the day.

A couple of months ago I went to Meadow lake for a drive. There was road construction on Highway 55 near Goodsoil. That work should be completed by now.

Have fun and enjoy the area.

greg

I like sidecars also
Old 08-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #710
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Oddometer: 520
Like GrumpyBear said, the main issue is traffic in the morning and at the end of the afternoon. You won't need to worry about logging trucks around Cold Lake, but you'll see A LOT of oil field related trucks!! A LOT!!

But most of them are alright around bikes on the main roads. Careful if you go on dirt roads. And if it rains, your wife will probably struggle on those dirt roads with her Majestic.

Have a fun and safe trip!!
To sin by silence makes cowards out of men! Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Peace is mostly valued by those who are sworn to protect it! Unknown
outbacktaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #711
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
I was just out there, the road is still torn up east of Beacon hill, 20km east of Pierceland. They skimmed the top off the asphalt and left a lot of loose rocks and potholes. road is marked for 60km/h but the oncoming cars were doing 80-90 so there probably wasn't any crews working that end. I think they were working all the way to the Good soil turn off.
Sask side traffic was really light, mid afternoon with only a few other vehicles on the road and no big stuff. Kinda weird thing was that the little traffic was quite polite, doing the speed limit, passing nicely etc. but when we hit the Ab border they all seemed to turn into dicks and wanted to run 20 over and pass like douche bags. The gravel through the park will be soft. We have a lot of big rain come through here and it really showed around Pierceland. I was on my croozer with a pax so didn't go to much on the park road.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #712
cdn_wolf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Thank you all.

I had ridden up to Slave Lake and Peace River last July and the wife loved the tales and the pictures. She wanted to see Slave Lake for herself but, I wanted to see something new. We incorporated Slave Lake with Meadow Lake. I have real fond memories of La Ronge as a kid. Some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen.

Three nights hammock camping at Slave Lake and three nights not camping before heading south to Medicine Hat and Cypress Hills. Probably stopping over night along the way. The wife is a trooper but, I don't wanna wear her out with tons of miles.

Thanks to everyone here for the information. News of road construction is a bit of a downer. Being from Calgary, we are used to it. The shortest distance between points A&B are under construction.

Thanks again

Ride safe
Phil
cdn_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #713
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Hi cdn_wolf!
Took a run through the Meadow Lake park last year. Lots of camp sites. Very nice run on gravel through the park.
I grew up in Medicine Hat and Redcliff. The Saskatchewan side of the Cypress Hills is the best in my opinion. Less crowded more rustic. Last camping there was in Lower Grayburn. Haven't been there in a while though. I may do a loop down that way on my holliday this summer.
Regards....just jeff
ErikMotoMan: "People struggle with many things in their lives. But the answer to struggle isn’t MORE struggle. It’s peace. If you want more joy, peace, love, happiness… you have to GIVE those things first. You have to THINK those things. You have to have faith that they’ll come to you, despite what you may see. The truth isn’t in what you see with your eyes. It’s what you feel in your heart."
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #714
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Meadowlake park is a beautiful place, the gravel seems to keep the morons away so it is nice and quiet. I am hoping to get out there for a couple weekends with the kayaks before the winter.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #715
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Coffee at south side timmies in Cold Lake

Anyone around for coffee at the southside timmies weds evening at 8:15ish?

I like sidecars also
Old 08-19-2014, 09:17 PM   #716
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

What!!?? No takers?? Grump is offering to pay!!
jj
ErikMotoMan: "People struggle with many things in their lives. But the answer to struggle isn’t MORE struggle. It’s peace. If you want more joy, peace, love, happiness… you have to GIVE those things first. You have to THINK those things. You have to have faith that they’ll come to you, despite what you may see. The truth isn’t in what you see with your eyes. It’s what you feel in your heart."
Old 08-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #717
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Jeff, how's it going? Been riding or doing any trips?

Seeing lots of dual sport bikes in the area, thought it would be great to get meet some of them. Not sure if any are following on this thread or on the other forum but still a good reason to get out for a ride.

Have to get together for a visit sometime.

grump

I like sidecars also
Old 08-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #718
wos
Beastly Adventurer

I will be around. A friend just picked up a Dr650 and I am going to ride around with him tonight with my Drz. Both white. I will plan on dropping in.
Not sure where we are going to ride, new bike, rider has dirt bike experience from a ways back. I was thinking backroads towards Pierceland and area. He is on the deathwings so we can't play in the dirt much. I will be going out with him a bit to get him licenced before winter.
Hope to finally meet you.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #719
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Hey Grump!
Leaving tomorrow to head South to my nephew's in MedicineHat, then north on the FTR to do the aborted run of last year. From there not sure. What about you?
jj
Old 08-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #720
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Might head over to the Kootenay's and check out some of the trails over there in mid sept. Got a friend with a cabin near Galena bay who rides. Also thinking of checking out the area west of pincher Creek out towards Castle Mountain at some point...maybe part of the same trip.

I'm watching for information on the GS challenge that is being held around sept 6. Would like to watch/see it but info about where they are doing the challenge is pretty secretive.

Good luck on your trip, hope it's a lot drier than last year.

I like sidecars also