a few pics in this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWwnT...eedwll&list=WL
Witness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #32
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Rifle Holsters

I know the U.S. carried the Thompson on the front fork, but I saw a while back, somewhere, a western-style rifle holster on the German sidecar, as I recall, it was slung longitudinally under the rider's right leg, presumably also available to the passenger. Anybody got pics showing that setup?
Pugsley/Hobbfather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #33
mullman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Lots of goodness on John Lacko's old site:

http://www.beemergarage.com/R75only.html
mullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #34
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,265
I kinda remember that site from a while back. Didnt know he had the war hacks on there! Thanks for posting.
I love seeing the almost left for dead outfits brought back to life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Lots of goodness on John Lacko's old site:

http://www.beemergarage.com/R75only.html
84 R65
Gonzo- 08 Ural G/U, 77 R100S, 01 Bonnie, 2x KLR's, Wee, Ninja's, CBR's, yadda yadda...
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #35
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,113
A mechanic friend of mine was fortunate enough to help with this restoration of a BMW R75. The MT. owner found it in Russia years ago and over the past 12 years or so it has been brought back to life:

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #36
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Thats cool!
effort and cash but well worth it.
As well, my friend has an 1937 R12 solo and a R12 outfit. He contacted BMW corporate and was able to trace the lineage. One fell at Stalingrad and the other (I dont know)
My dream: find a Zundapp KS and sweat effort and whatever to bring it back. Then ride!
Thanks for posting! Is there a thread somewhere where he psoted his re-build?
Id like to see the before and after!
84 R65
Gonzo- 08 Ural G/U, 77 R100S, 01 Bonnie, 2x KLR's, Wee, Ninja's, CBR's, yadda yadda...
Old 11-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #37
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr View Post
Thats cool!
effort and cash but well worth it.
As well, my friend has an 1937 R12 solo and a R12 outfit. He contacted BMW corporate and was able to trace the lineage. One fell at Stalingrad and the other (I dont know)
My dream: find a Zundapp KS and sweat effort and whatever to bring it back. Then ride!
Thanks for posting! Is there a thread somewhere where he psoted his re-build?
Id like to see the before and after!
No build info that I know of. The owner is an MD who spent time in Russia. He eventually moved here to MT.
My friend in the photos owns a BMW shop and performed the final touches for the owner.

ABC# 1992
Old 11-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #38
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
No build info that I know of. The owner is an MD who spent time in Russia. He eventually moved here to MT.
My friend in the photos owns a BMW shop and performed the final touches for the owner.
Ive seen outfits with cigarette cases as gaskets. Those who keep these old machines in the fore have my Slainte! Well worth the investment and time...
Thats my ultimate motorcycle goal. To have a road going Zundapp KS. For now my might Ural keeps me going... Thanks to that company on so many fronts..
Thaks bro-
abc 1992
I have to say that this Rus. company keeps the airheads alive.. Ill hold out for a Canuck St as well
84 R65
Old 11-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #39
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr View Post
Ive seen outfits with cigarette cases as gaskets. Those who keep these old machines in the fore have my Slainte! Well worth the investment and time...
Thats my ultimate motorcycle goal. To have a road going Zundapp KS. For now my might Ural keeps me going... Thanks to that company on so many fronts..
Thaks bro-
abc 1992
I have to say that this Rus. company keeps the airheads alive.. Ill hold out for a Canuck St as well

I have a very interesting lead on what is claimed to be an old WW2 German sidecar rig.
I've had correspondance with a land owner who purchased a ranch years back with some old Harley stuff and a WW2
German sidecar rig in an out building.
He sold off the old Harley stuff long ago but thought maybe he'd do something with the bike.
I am in touch with the owner via Internet and am making arrangements to go to his ranch and look at what he has.
I'm hoping to go over next week, he is less than a couple hundred miles away so well worth the effort to go and look.
I love these kind of mysteries! Not sure if it is a BMW, Zundapp, or what it might be. Could be some other off-the-wall machine.
The bike has never been offered for sale since in his ownership. The Harley guys offered him 2 grand for it years back but he thought he'd keep it to maybe have a project some day but never got to it.

So wish me luck.
I'm constantly searching for old finds and maybe this one will be the "big" one. - wishfull thinking!

I'll definately have my camera along and get some photos of this mystery bike.

ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 11-24-2011 at 05:05 PM
Old 11-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #40
zundappuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Barn find would be nice....

That reminds me of a similar story.

The wife and I decided to have a long weekend on the Norfolk coast (UK). And we found a B&B in a beautiful old oak beamed farm. That evening I was chatting to the owner and my favourite subject came up. He told me that his father had served in Monty's 8th Army in North Africa and had brought home an old BMW sidecar when he returned from the North Africa campaign

He then went on to say that it had been ridden around the farm for years, but that his brother had taken it from the barn only a few years ago

When i asked him to describe it he gave me a good description of a BMW R12 with sidecar, even down to the palm tree symbols of the Afrika Korps!!

David
zundappuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #41
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Update:
Finally had phone contact with the bike owner tonight and have made arrangements to look at the old WW2 BMW next week.
The currant owner purchased 90+ acres of forested CA. property a couple years ago. The previous owner had collected junk for a life time and filled the property with old "stuff". The present owner has spent the past year just clearing junk off the property.
The old BMW / sidecar in question was stored inside an old semi tractor trailer for who knows how long.
His care taker on the property has been reorganizing things so hopefully the old bike / sidecar is all there and accounted for.
I am truly looking forward to the archeological "dig' next week.
I'll be sure and take my camera...and probably my checkbook too....

ABC# 1992
Old 11-29-2011, 03:26 AM   #42
Thermos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Interested to see how this turns out.

-Tom
Thermos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #43
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Man, Id be pacing and loosing lots of sleep. I am hoping this works out for you bmwh'kr! Its like Christmas for adults...

Waiting patiently for your good news!
84 R65
Old 11-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #44
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
This is a very interesting thread. I didn't realize there were so many of these German bikes around. Back in the 80s when I still lived in Slovakia, my friend was working for the Koliba TV studio in Bratislava. He once showed me around the props warehouse and I saw a couple of R75s. That was the only time I saw them. Riding one of these back then would've been considered bad taste since they were used by the occupying forces during WWII. Soldiers riding in those were like sitting ducks and usually the first to be killed. The resistance fighters (partisans) would sometimes set up a steel wire across the road, high enough to decapitate the rider and when the bike went off the road, they would attack the rest of the crew.

This is a true story that happened in my grandfather's hometown towards the end of WWII. A young German officer and his private were riding one of these bikes and were attacked and killed by the local partisans. The officer was the son of a high rank general and the father showed up with a whole army unit and lined up all men and boys older than 10. My grandfather and two uncles were in the line. He was threatening to shoot every 10th person from the line unless somebody gave him information leading to capturing the partisans. Luckily the local doctor happened to be German and he managed to talk the general out of going ahead with that. After the war when communists took over and started doing purges and fabricated trials just like Stalin did, the doctor was accused of being a collaborator. So the poor guy was sentenced to hard labor and ended up spending many years working in uranium mines. That's what he got for saving 20+ lives.
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #45
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,653
Nice Thread!

Quote:
I have a very interesting lead on what is claimed to be an old WW2 German sidecar rig.
I've had correspondance with a land owner who purchased a ranch years back with some old Harley stuff and a WW2
German sidecar rig in an out building.
He sold off the old Harley stuff long ago but thought maybe he'd do something with the bike.
I am in touch with the owner via Internet and am making arrangements to go to his ranch and look at what he has.
I'm hoping to go over next week, he is less than a couple hundred miles away so well worth the effort to go and look.
I love these kind of mysteries! Not sure if it is a BMW, Zundapp, or what it might be. Could be some other off-the-wall machine.
The bike has never been offered for sale since in his ownership. The Harley guys offered him 2 grand for it years back but he thought he'd keep it to maybe have a project some day but never got to it.

So wish me luck.
I'm constantly searching for old finds and maybe this one will be the "big" one. - wishfull thinking!

I'll definately have my camera along and get some photos of this mystery bike.
Quote:
Update:
Finally had phone contact with the bike owner tonight and have made arrangements to look at the old WW2 BMW next week.
The currant owner purchased 90+ acres of forested CA. property a couple years ago. The previous owner had collected junk for a life time and filled the property with old "stuff". The present owner has spent the past year just clearing junk off the property.
The old BMW / sidecar in question was stored inside an old semi tractor trailer for who knows how long.
His care taker on the property has been reorganizing things so hopefully the old bike / sidecar is all there and accounted for.
I am truly looking forward to the archeological "dig' next week.
I'll be sure and take my camera...and probably my checkbook too....
tony the tiger is online now   Reply With Quote