Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #451
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
Yep all is good just trying to find time to post pics and a post on the BLOG...although my hands are smaller than most folks who ride they seem to be a great solution to my grips that needed to be replaced. I have to get used to the extra width but believe the neoprene will mold to my hand a bit more as I ride.

I will elaborate more later but I think what you have done here is taken a common sense approach to grips, made a very good product that most of wish we thought of and so easy to install. Oh and I LOVED your packaging....the lollipop is a nice touch Dave!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #452
adkjack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
yep all is good just trying to find time to post pics and a post on the blog...although my hands are smaller than most folks who ride they seem to be a great solution to my grips that needed to be replaced. I have to get used to the extra width but believe the neoprene will mold to my hand a bit more as i ride.

I will elaborate more later but i think what you have done here is taken a common sense approach to grips, made a very good product that most of wish we thought of and so easy to install. Oh and i loved your packaging....the lollipop is a nice touch dave!
KEWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLl!

adkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #453
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 9,861
Order placed!
Old 06-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #454
bmwgsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Dave,

Are you going to be at the RA Rally?

Thanks.
bmwgsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #455
adkjack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgsrider View Post
Dave,

Are you going to be at the RA Rally?

Thanks.
bmwgsrider-
Unfortunately, that's not one I can make, even though I would really like to be there. I will be at National in July, though.

Best,

Dave R.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #456
soph9
Bike Addict

Keep an eye out on our blog on Sunday....you grips will be featured!
Old 06-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #457
soph9
Bike Addict

So here is our initial review of the grips. After July and we get back from a 2 week trip I will post if our opinions change...

GRIP BUDDIES REVIEW HERE

Get a GRIP…Need new GRIPS?

by advgrrls

Every once in while you come across a little accessory that is so simple yet ingenious when you see someone like Dave R. come around. Both our grips on our Beemers are about shot and I find myself scratching my head thinking, “How the hell are we going to change the grips since the heating elements are right underneath the stock grips?” Maybe not a big deal to cut the originals off and replace them but something has stopped us from buying new ones even though Leslie could have replaced hers 1000′s of KM’s ago.

Anyway, I go to the ADV Riders Forum and find Dave’s thread in the Vendors section of the forum and read. Read all the riders reviews and thought to myself…why not, his Grip Buddies are inexpensive so it can’t hurt the wallet to give this guy a chance. So, off I went to the ORIGINAL GRIP BUDDIES website and bought two sets in two seconds.

Also you should LIKE their FB page!

The packaging we LOVED and the lollipop is such a nice “sweet” touch. Thanks Dave. Oh, and before our order was shipped Dave contacted me a few times just to make sure everything was right with my address and he kept in good contact regarding the actual ship date etc.

Piece of cake to install. No need to go into details here but it took just a few minutes to get them on. Dave includes easy to read instructions and on his website you can see him install these on his beautiful BMW.

They are thicker than the stock and for Leslie having small hands they sure feel thicker at first. Cheryl has very large hands and no issues there. I played around with the heated grips and sure enough like advertised you can feel the heat through the neoprene covers. So, in a nut shell, many would say “Oh man I will just make my own.” You could but Dave really has thought these out and made sure they would stay put once in place. Safety should be Dave’s middle name.

My theory about the thickness is that I hope after riding a lot and with normal wear and tear the neoprene will compress a bit and “break in”. Time will tell.

I can tell he is an ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) type of guy. They are well made, simple and a perfect solution to covering your grips versus the tedious task of cutting old ones off and carefully I might add and then replacing them with expensive new grips.

Dave sells these for other bikes as well not just Beemers.

They feel so comfy to be honest, like having an in sole in your shoe. They do not impede your ability to get to the clutch of use your throttle. Easy as pie. They also look nice too!

I give Dave and his ORIGINAL GRIP BUDDIES an A+ for thinking up these things, for making them in the USA and of course the lollipops! So, highly recommended and why not? For $19 they are the best thing out there to make our lives so easy!

According to his website he will be making some more accessories to these grips, he sells Hi-Viz tape and stuff like that. Check the site out. Like we said when we try something that really seems so simple but so convenient and good we have to pass the info along!

soph9 screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 02:20 PM
Old 06-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #458
adkjack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Original Beemer Buddies News Flash!!

Introducing OBB "Extreme Duty" Grips

First, Leslie: Very well thought out and comprehensive write-up. Very Impressive.

My news is very simple and straightforward. Because I am starting to have a much larger universe of customers, new and interesting things are bound to be suggested and to pop up. Consequently, we responded to a call to design and produce a model of our grips which could be used in more extreme circumstances. Here are the features of our new "Extreme Duty" model in comparison with our standard Sharkskin model:

1. Provides the user with a more resilient "wetsuit-like" outer material, which is "sleeker" and smoother than the sharkskin model. This material is not easy to wear out, and I actually prefer it for use on my own motorcycle. This is (of course) a very subjective opinion.

2. While being a bit less water resistant than the Sharkskin, keep in mind that the Seal Teams use this material to assure that Seals are warm and dry during all of their underwater operations, so it has to be pretty effective at resisting moisture.

3. The inherent "sleekness" of my new Extreme Duty's is such that users who think the Sharkskins are too thick may actually prefer these for their "sleek" feeling. Notwithstanding their sleekness, they are very effective at "relaxing" your death grip, adequately filling your hands for better control, and reducing vibrations and relieve cramping and hand numbness like the Sharkskins.

4. They utilize our new 220 degree F, Hook Velcro, which is bound to help those users who may experience adhesion problems in extreme heat etc. this new hook is now incorporated in all of our grips.

5. In concert with #4, above, adhesion promoter is shipped with all of the Extreme Duties to assure no slippage of the hook adhesive in extreme circumstances. The good news is that after exhaustive testing, we have determined that use of the adhesion promoter does not harm your existing grips, but functions well to keep your new OGB's "stuck" to your stock grips in all kinds of adverse conditions.

Leslie: I would like to request that you and Cheryl act as testers for my new models, so I will be sending a couple free sets to you for your review. Will be in touch to discuss with you.

Thanks again for the great write up, and I will be in touch soon.

Best,

Dave R.

Short Note- This new model of my grips is so new that they haven't even been added to my website, so look for them to be added later this week, and not available to ship till sometime next week. Thanks. DJR.

adkjack screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 09:59 PM
Old 06-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #459
soph9
Bike Addict

Sounds good

NP Dave of course we will be your testers. As for the thickness of these covers...They seem fine for the warmer months without wearing heated gloves. I was playing around with my gloves today and because my hands are small it was a little too much for me while wearing my Gerbings. Having said that I do have extremely small hands.

I look forward to testing our your new grips. At least you will have options for the riders out there. Nothing wrong with that!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #460
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Just ordered a set after reading through a good bit of this thread. Price appears to be $25 now and not $19. I didn't see an option for the new grips on the website, but it looks like the site is still being worked on. I'm only a state away from where they are coming from so it shouldn't be long until I get them hopefully.
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #461
adkjack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock84 View Post
Just ordered a set after reading through a good bit of this thread. Price appears to be $25 now and not $19. I didn't see an option for the new grips on the website, but it looks like the site is still being worked on. I'm only a state away from where they are coming from so it shouldn't be long until I get them hopefully.
murdock84-

A word about our new model: since I usually choose to announce new developments first, here on ADVrider, you are likely to hear about new OBB developments here, before I put them on my website, or announce them to the world. The Extreme Duties are no exception. Stay tuned to see them show up on my website very soon.

A word, also, about pricing: We have always sold our grips for $19.95 +$5 shipping= $24.95 (delivered), even through all of the quality upgrades that have occurred over the last year to our standard model (eg. upgraded hook strip to 186 degree F Velcro- 4 times more expensive than the original, with no commensurate increase in our price, and the current upgrade to 220 degree hook, without any price increase on our part).

By popular demand, we have decided to re-state our pricing to $24.95 (free shipping) to satisfy the desires of a majority of our customers. As you can see, this is merely stating our traditionally low pricing in a different way without increasing the price, while still underlining the fact that my grips are an excellent value.

The pricing of our new Extreme Duties includes some substantial new expenses such as the adhesion promoter (cost=$3), and the increased cost of the new neoprene. The result is that we simply ask our customers to reimburse us the additional $5 of cost, so the pricing of the Extreme Duties is +$5 TO $29.95 (with free shipping).

All of this said, we will continue to periodically run group buy discounts now and then to keep things interesting and attractive to our customers.

Best,

Dave R.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #462
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Thanks for the quick reply. From the revies I wasn't really going to complain about the $5. I know some would though. I look forward to getting them. I hate to say it, but I was kind of used to the thicker grip feeling on the Harley's that I had. This should make it about the same on my F800GS.
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #463
adkjack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock84 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. From the revies I wasn't really going to complain about the $5. I know some would though. I look forward to getting them. I hate to say it, but I was kind of used to the thicker grip feeling on the Harley's that I had. This should make it about the same on my F800GS.
Gotcha!

This was a good opportunity to be able to point out that the price has stayed the same, just re-stated in another way, so there is really no $5 issue, anyway. Notta!

Best,

Dave R.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #464
adkjack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quick Hi-Jack of my own thread!

soph9-

Prometheus rising (of this forum) sent me this really great MC-BMWGS vid from last fall which I just listened to. In the middle of listening to it I realized that it could very well have been yours and Cheryl's adventure touring song for one of your cool trips . If you listen very carefully the chorus says "You and me and Leslie". . . . . . . . .Wait a minute,. . . . . . . . maybe that was "you and me endlessly". . . . . .well, anyway it is a cool vid and song, so enjoy it either way.

The vid is HERE

Best,

Dave R.

p.s. Please email me so I can send you your Extreme Duty grips to test. (info@originalbeemerbuddies.com)

Old 06-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #465
Snapping Twig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Yesterday evening I stumbled across this thread and realized that this product is exactly what I've been looking for. I have a trip through northern California scheduled for next week and truth be told I was fearing the wrist cramping and looking to get a throttle lock, but unsure if that would be the answer.

My previous and only bike was a 1985 Virago 700 which was a hand me down from my Father-In-Law who bought it new. I fixed it up and along the way added some fat neoprene grips - Pro Grip IIRC - and they were excellent. The larger diameter made all the difference and the comfort was there.

My R1200R has heated grips, and I didn't want to loose that capability. Heated grips are like the microwave oven - if you don't have one you don't miss it. Get one and forever thereafter you wonder how you lived without it.

I went to Dave's site and did the ordering thing, but when it got to the payment part, it rejected my CC in favor of PayPal, which I don't like to use. I took down the information and was planning to call in the morning to work it out, but surprise, surprise... I got a call from Dave! Mind you, this was 10:30p California time. On a Sunday night!

Not knowing who it was and using my cell for business, I let it roll over to VM. When I found out who it was, I called right back and we talked for quite a while. Nice guy! I hope his business grows because IMO he deserves it.

Since I am going on this trip the day after Father's Day, I need to get the grips this week and Dave was kind enough to expedite the shipping for me. My own fault for ordering them this late but they should get here in time now that Dave's on the case.

We plan to go to Tule Lake for the caves after passing through Lassen National Forrest and the lava beds. Then we'll cross California on 299 and stop in French Gulch (I hunt around there but only passed through French Gulch on my way to camp) and stay at a nice hotel from the Gold Rush era. Then we'll proceed on to the coast and stay somewhere around Arcata or points south and spend a day there before proceeding south on Hwy 1 and eventually home in the S.F. Bay Area.

FWIW, Dave and I talked about the booster plug. I installed one with 800 on the clock, now I have @ 1900 and I can only say, the booster plug does what they claim it does Dave. Few products do exactly what they say (I suspect your grip covers are similar this way) and the booster plug smooths out that choppy throttle in 1st and 2nd gear and also allows the bike to coast better when you cut the throttle as you slow down. Go for it!

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)
Snapping Twig is offline   Reply With Quote