Adventurer

Oddometer: 56

great pic.
BCJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #152
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 843
Thanks, I like that one too! Super fun trail!

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 06-04-2013 at 02:21 PM
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #153
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Long overdue maintenance...37000km valve check, yep, they're tight! One exhaust valve was .006" beyond tight,the others weren't quite as bad, but not great either.

IMG_0961

Looks like the cam chain is stretched too! This is the Automatic cam chain tensioner, fully extended when I pulled it out. That would explain the godawful metallic racket my bike was making all winter!

ACCT

I'm learning about all this as I go, and decided that between the valves and the cam chain, it could be a heck of a weekend, especially having to go get shims via bicycle across town while my bike sits in pieces, outside, in an urban setting.
I also had the stock DRZ clutch that I wanted re-installed, to replace the Revloc semi auto that came on my bike, so I made an appointment with Kenco in Sooke, and got them to do it all in one shot. They suggested I could save some money tearing the bike down however far I was comfortable with, and then hand it over, which I did outside their shop. 4 1/2 hrs later, and they were done! I was real happy with them, They knew it was my only vehicle, and even though I said by the end of the weekend would be fine, they made sure I got it back the same day.
And it runs like a top now! Barely even need the choke! No more 10 minute warm ups!

I haven't used a real clutch in 2 years, so it took a bit of getting used to, a few embarrasing moments occurred, but 3 weeks later, I was riding the same old singletracks no problem!
Old 06-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #154
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Spring Trials Meet VMC

Went to a Victoria Motorcycle Club trials meet! One member was even nice enough to let me try his trials bike! I did this on a bicycle for years, and have always wanted to get into this. It was a great experience getting to try a bike out, and answered a question I have asked myself for a very long time.... Do I want one of these? Well, it felt almost like a mountain bike compared to the DRZ, and I was amazed that I could trackstand it almost as easily as my trials bicycle. so it's a definite yes, I want one!! Good times are to be had for sure!

IMG_1070

IMG_1091

IMG_1096

IMG_1110
Old 06-05-2013, 01:06 AM   #155
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
Naa....I'd fall over and hurt myself with a trials bike....
Old 06-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #156
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Yeah, it's a different animal, that's for sure! I'd like to think I have decent foundation skills with my bicycle trials experience, but with the rear brake being a foot brake, among other obvious differences, it would present some unique challenges to overcome. And what the heck do they call a pedal kick in moto trials anyway?
Old 06-05-2013, 02:08 AM   #157
chris73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
A lot of these trips look awesome. Love the mix of bushcraft fishing and riding. It's what I have been trying to do. I have taken my BMW f800gs through some tough trails and into spoke hills, but I don't think I can get into a lot of your spots. Is the upper cowichan good to fish in the summer? Or better in the fall?
chris73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #158
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

For fishing,Fall is good, Spring is good, I think Summer is a bit slower...Lots of regulations on the Cowichan, so do your research! And watch out for tubers!

There are lots of places in this report an F800 could get, but for a few of them, it might depend on how comfortable are you with going under gates, if you can't get around them.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #159
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Warming up, and drying out

So my riding buddy Chris's good friend John, just bought an old ocean front house near Shirley, and have been gutting it all winter. Goodbye shag carpet and wood paneling! It had not been occupied in over 7 years, and was previously owned by some oddball mental prison psychiatrist who worked in Victoria, so the story goes.
Apparently he was an avid gardener, but 7 years left alone, the jungle was really starting to take over. With a lot of hard work, they've really started to transform the place!
I'm out there a fair bit these days, since they have trails right across the road from the house! Perfect for Chris to get a dirt ride in on the way home. We eventually managed to scout out the back way all the way from Shirley to Sooke! Now that's a fun commute!

This is almost right above the place.

This was a nice ride! Late April, and it finally hit a nice 17C out! Such a relief after 7 months of rains and snow!!!

I don't want to talk about this one! The ground is still pretty saturated, and I just kept going deeper. Luckily, John just got a quad, and was on this ride with us! It was a good way to break in the new winch!! I guess that's what I get for following the quad! Fun times!

Old 06-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #160
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,211
Beauty!

Even the stuckage
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #161
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Mid May impromptue Up-Island Ride

May 1st, the weather turned to what we normally get in August! For about a week, we got to the mid 20s in Victoria, 30C was the hottest in Port Alberni.

2 weeks later, the weather was back to normal, and I decided with about a days notice to go along with my riding buddy Chris, to Cortes Island where he was invited to play a music set at a community hall party. He is into electronica, and uses software to arrange his sets, so he brought along his laptop for this.

So we left Victoria, planning on catching the last connector ferry from Campbell River, to Quadra Island, to Cortes, and instead spent an hour and a half, crawling up the steepest part of the Malahat at 6 kph from Goldstream, onwards. Oh well, at least the delays are for safety improvement construction.

So we roll into Mill Bay. Chris literally rolled into Mill Bay! Bike died on him for some reason. He rolled down, and into the CO-OP gas station to a stop. Next thing you know, I see a pickup truck that for some reason decides to back right over my buddy!!! He had absolutely no time to react, and with a dead bike, couldn't do a thing. Luckily, it more or less just knocked him over, but his bike was right under the back end of the truck. Had the driver not stopped, it could have been a lot worse...We checked for Damage to the bike, and didn't really find any, it is a DRZ!! The driver obviously felt bad, but no one was really hurt, and no damage was done except to nerves. He gave chris $30 for the trouble, and we parted ways.

With that shitty first 2 hrs of the trip over, we continued on our way, The weather looking iffier all the time. We didn't waste any time heading north, and dodged almost every black thundershower on the way to Campbell River, only getting 2 quick soakings. It's miraculous really, because it was real ugly out the whole way. I guess we were in the eye of the storm! We didn't make the connecting ferry, so headed to Quadra Island late anyway, to find a spot to camp.

Just enough time for a bit of exploring, while trying to find a spot.

IMG_0209

IMG_0197

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 12:51 PM
Old 06-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #162
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

It drizzled on us a bit all night in our less than scenic camp out, at the end of a new logging road. Luckily, we got a good fire going, which helped a bit. I'm really glad I brought a wool sweater on this trip! My usual hoodie would have sucked with all the rain.

It was pretty grey in the morning still, but the rain did stop, and within the 40 minute ferry from Quadra Island to Cortes, it had started to clear and warm up a bit. We found some pretty good views too!

It was a bit overgrown in places!

Manson's Landing

Old 06-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #163
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 375
great pics. nice one
stuser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #164
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

It was a nice warm night for camping, and we left Cortes Island early to explore Quadra Island a bit more, before returning to the big island.

IMG_0250

IMG_0249

IMG_0277

IMG_0253

IMG_0258
Old 07-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #165
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Onto Campbell River for food, gas and a look at the map. We stopped at the grocery store, got chicken and coleslaw, and ate it in the baking heat by Elk Falls hydro dam. We decided to head towards woss, and search for a place to camp.

IMG_0261

IMG_0266

The long, lonely highway to Sayward/Woss. Torture.....Absolute Torture!!!!!!

IMG_0272

We went up some sideroad somewhere between Sayward and Woss, and it looked something like this to the north!

IMG_0278

We got a good fire going, it was going to be a cold night....

IMG_0285

It was 3C by morning. I'm wondering if those are the Coast Mountains in the North East horizon? We got off the mountain top, and headed for Woss for breakfast. It was a very chilly morning for riding! Took us off guard a bit.

IMG_0286

We arrived in Woss about 1 1/2 hrs too early for breakfast, so we settled for gas station fare. Chris, a half frozen egg sandwich, and I, an oddly textured, slightly fridgy sausage roll, and an Oh Henry, for the sugar. At least the Coffee was half decent!

We decided to take "Backroad" from Woss to Gold River to change up the route home, and avoid that bonville-esque highway. There is a washout at km 82, so it's bikes only!

IMG_0290

Vernon Lake. By now it is starting to spit. Must be beautiful on a clear day!

IMG_0293