Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #166
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,061
anyone see one of these yet? in person? ride one? own one?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #167
bhorocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
anyone see one of these yet? in person? ride one? own one?
Look a few posts up.....
bhorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #168
rallyman1978
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
I too sat on one at the NEC bike show over here in the UK, its a little small for me but I'm 6ft2.

BUT

The price on the UK KTM site is 6095 sterling so I'm out shame considering they're dropping their prices on other units over here

At todays exchange rate thats $9475 to you guys

Maybe I'll try and get a trade discount when they're launched
Old 12-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #169
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
It's about the size of a Honda CRF230L, or slightly smaller than a KLX250. The frame looks pretty small, too. .
Thanks for the info and pic. My wife rides a CRF230 right now and she needs something better. Refuses anything without an electric start or higher seat.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #170
jalles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Man I want one of these soooo bad! Hopefully this isn't a repost, new Freeride 350 video. They sure do sound quite, almost like the Freeride E. Wish I had those skills.

jalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #171
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,998
Nice vid. Cyril Depres and his buddy can sure ride. That Freeride 350 is close to KTM's attempt at a trials bike. Would sure make an awesome hard-technical trail runner with more comfort than a trials bike.

Latest GasGas 300 trials bikes are under 150lbs so the Freeride 350 is still 60 to 70lbs heavier.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #172
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,356
Talked to a buddy who works for KTM here in The States and he said they haven't got any word yet about availability in NA. Was really hoping we might get 2012 models, but not likely? Maybe 2013...
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #173
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Nice vid. Cyril Depres and his buddy can sure ride.
Cedric held it down pretty hard in the freeride and world cup MTB circuits. The 350 sure looks fun.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #174
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
Thanks for the info and pic. My wife rides a CRF230 right now and she needs something better. Refuses anything without an electric start or higher seat.

Uhm, ohh... jeez... what's that bike? ohhh, uhmmm... Darn, have I forgot it again?

Little guy, 280lbs 26hp. 6 speed... H2O cooled DOHC 31-32" seat height... 70mpg.

Oh well. It'll come to me...

Here's a pic of it in the wild...

Old 12-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #175
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
Uhm, ohh... jeez... what's that bike? ohhh, uhmmm... Darn, have I forgot it again?

Little guy, 280lbs 26hp. 6 speed... H2O cooled DOHC 31-32" seat height... 70mpg.

Oh well. It'll come to me...
It looks like tahoeacr said his wife wanted something "better" than a CRF230, not its 22+ year old distant cousin with almost no tyre choices, a rear drum brake and brittle plastics that break if you even breathe on them the long way. Not to mention the extensive aftermarket support that a 22+ year old bike that sold in very limited numbers commands...
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:07 AM   #176
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,355
I almost posted the same thing, but didn't because it sounded a bit worse the way I wrote it, and I'm just not that type of person.

Oh and you forgot that the NX was designed as a commuter and not designed to be ridden off road.
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #177
Happy Seal
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 2,536
Why has KTM never made a trials bike?
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #178
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmt View Post
It looks like tahoeacr said his wife wanted something "better" than a CRF230, not its 22+ year old distant cousin with almost no tyre choices, a rear drum brake and brittle plastics that break if you even breathe on them the long way. Not to mention the extensive aftermarket support that a 22+ year old bike that sold in very limited numbers commands...

I thought he said better than a CRF230... lol, my bad...

I also thought any bike was better than a CF230... lol, my bad.

I just posted that as something to consider for his wife... But you're right. There's is no support for them. So it's best if you just leave it to the rest of the guys that buy them. They know how to cross part numbers.

Ebay still has wild one-off items like clutches and brake pads... Even cylinders and EBay Greece had AX-1 29hp cams. You can re-lace a 17 cheaper than buying an air cooled 16hp bike then bitching about it, and you don't have to use the plastics. It's not a law or anything.

Funny how a 22y.o bike sold in limited numbers doesn't even need extensive aftermarket support that a crappy relic of the 70s gets...

Good thing they make XR650R big brake adapters for them tho...

Oh wait! Duh! It's got the same part number as a XR650r hub. What was I thinking...

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 12-24-2011 at 11:07 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #179
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
I thought he said better than a CRF230... lol, my bad...

I also thought any bike was better than a CF230... lol, my bad.

I just posted that as something to consider for his wife... But you're right. There's is no support for them. So it's best if you just leave it to the rest of the guys that buy them. They know how to cross part numbers.

Ebay still has wild one-off items like clutches and brake pads... Even cylinders and EBay Greece had AX-1 29hp cams. You can re-lace a 17 cheaper than buying a POS air cooled 16hp bike then bitching about it, and you don't have to use the plastics. It's not a law or anything.

Funny how a 22y.o bike sold in limited numbers doesn't even need extensive aftermarket support that a crappy relic of the 70s gets...

Good thing they make XR650R big brake adapters for them tho...

Oh wait! Duh! It's got the same part number as a XR650r hub. What was I thinking...

So in a thread about the KTM freeride you are positing a NX250 as a possible alternative and then posting pictures of it "in the wild", on paved roads and on street tyres?

If my SO (who rides a TM EN-144 which really puts paid to your "crossing parts" crack) was wanting to buy a under $1500, 90% street/10% dirt road bike the NX250 might make the list of possible contenders if you could find one for sale. If I suggested one as a replacement for her EN-144 or the CRF 230 she had before that she would ask me if I had suffered brain damage as we are both willing to put up with a little bit of extra maintenance and having to hoard parts for increased performance; but what does a NX250 offer to make you willing to put up with the issues a 22+ year old NX250 brings with it besides its purchase price?

We are on the other hand wanting to get a new spare/friend bike to replace the well worn CRF-250X that presently fills that role which means that we both have to be able to ride it, both of us should actually like to ride it and the light weight, lower seat height and street legal aspects of the KTM Freeride looks like a bonus to a bike that suits what we are looking for.

Your NX250 might make it 5 minutes in with us on the morning family rides but after 5 minutes one of the 12 year olds are going to start telling you that you suck and to get off the trail. You would not be invited along for the afternoon/evening adult rides...

jasonmt screwed with this post 12-24-2011 at 11:29 AM
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #180
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

I'm sorry, Jason. I know you wanted that comment to be directed at you, or read into it that I'm drunk posting or changing the subject. But the truth is I didn't post that for your or the threads benefit, but rather as a response to tahoeacr's post.

Sorry.

And sorry it ever crossed my mind someone might want to make an exception in a few inches of suspension travel to get a motorcycle about $7,000 cheaper than the alternative. How dare I.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 12-24-2011 at 11:35 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote