Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #196
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
Enough about the NX.

The negative comments are just as bad as the original comment, and it is just baiting I heart my NX, and I am glad to see he has been the bigger man and not replied
X2.

And that's because they can't read where I said I wasn't comparing it to a KTM, but recommending it as a CRF230 replacement to a dudes wife...

lol, and you can modify a CRF230, but not a NX250? What is this, Bizzaro World?

It's very quite possible that the stem and swing-arm bearings are the same between the two... So a swing-arm and front fork swap nets you +/- 4" of travel, 10hp and rear discs right there...

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 12-25-2011 at 10:52 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #197
Kayakgk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 952
The Freeride sounds

like exactly what I am looking for low seat height for my 29 inch inseam, good torque and light weight. I hope they bring it into the US summer of 2012 but I am not counting on it.
Kayakgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #198
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,979
Quote:
Any ideas where the 20 lbs of weight is saved over the 350EXC? Kickstarter, shorter shock and fork, etc...
I looked through all the text that KTM has released on the FR350 and extracted anything to do with weight or lack thereof. I included a few comments of my own also.
--------------------------------------------
Frame
A completely new composite frame design made from high quality chrome-molybdenum steel, combined with forged aluminium elements, forms the backbone of the Freeride 350. The front steel frame profiles are combined with the multifunctional aluminium profiles by means of sturdy threaded joints. This revolutionary frame concept is responsible for high levels of tracking stability and safety, as well as minimum weight.

Minimal bodywork, slender and thin seat, very small fuel tank, and small radiator shrouds contribute to weight loss.

Subframe
A subframe made from high-strength plastic is bolted to the main frame by means of a stable triangular connection and provides sufficient space for the electronic components of the engine management system. This solution makes a major contribution to the lightweight construction concept of the vehicle.

Suspension
The suspension of the Freeride 350 has been specially designed for this vehicle. Together with the high quality, CNC-machined triple clamps, a new 43 mm WP upside-down fork with 250 mm suspension travel provides for superb stability, excellent responsiveness and outstanding damping. The forks appear to be substantially lighter and more petite compared to KTM standard 48 mm forks.

At the rear, a newly developed PDS shock absorber with 260 mm, linked directly to the swingarm, guarantees maximum suspension comfort and sufficient safety, even on the most demanding terrain. The shock cannot be clearly seen, so no conclusions as to weight.

Wheels
The lightweight wheels, featuring CNC-machined hubs and high-end GIANT aluminium rims (18 and 21 inch) with extra-light, orange spoke nipples, are practically unbeatable in terms of weight, although they still guarantee highest levels of stability and safety.

Engine
Based on the successful power unit of the 350 EXC-F, the engine of the Freeride 350 has nevertheless been redesigned for the new vehicle concept. In so doing, the kickstarter has been dispensed with for the benefit of minimal weight and more compact dimensions and a new engine case has been developed in ultra-light, die-cast (instead of sand-cast) aluminium.

Clutch
A smoothly operated clutch with integrated hub damping and effective diaphragm spring makes it possible to keep the whole clutch package extremely compact and light.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #199
scruffy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
I would pay $9K for it, without batting an eyelash.

I may actually fly to Austria and get one next summer (2012)....

http://rickramsey.net/FR350.htm <-- linky

And I don't even like the color Orange

But I'll ride circles around most of my buddies on Rocky Mountain trails

Upon further reflection, I'd pay 10K
Ramz, I'm having a hard time imagining you on an ORANGE bike. I think you're right about this being a great trail bike. It's hard enough keeping up with you on that Honda 230, I don't know if you can be allowed to have a 350.
scruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #200
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
So - sounds like kickstart not an option.

I wonder if 43mm forks actually saves much weight, since the smaller diameter may need thicker walls to combat flex.

No blinkers in the press photos, so I see those, a real skidplate, quality barkbusters and a more versatile aftermarket tank pushing the the weight up by 6-8 lbs.

Still far from shabby, especially since fuel consumption should be great.

I'm really excited what some power up mods could do to the HP. I would love a bike like this with a handlebar-mounted fuel map switch to go from economy for distance to offroad mayhem! 20/35hp Jekyll and Hyde methinks.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #201
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
To save weight they would have to chose either EFI with just kickstart (it's been done on several bikes), or EFI with just starter. Given that it's targeted to be the easiest KTM to ride for beginners/intermediate then they went for the no-sweat magic button.

Somehow we manage with bikes with no kickstart. The systems are pretty reliable now. My Husaberg FE390 (EFI) has no kickstart, my old Aprilia RXV550 (EFI) had no kickstart and my KTM990S (EFI) has no kickstart and cars haven't had a crank for a long time [TIC ]

My wife really likes the look of the 350 Freeride, and is onboard for getting one when they appear. She had a WR250R but it was heavy (290+lbs) and she gave it up and we sold it, but is willing to try again with this 'lil KTM. Me: "Uhh, honey I need to take your bike out to check, uh, that it's running right" She: "again?"
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #202
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
I'm thinking if Christini outfits this guy with 2X2 this would also make a great Darien gap crosser...

Actually is looks like the new DI Ossa is even 60 lbs lighter than the freeride - a 2X2 version of that then would probably be the best Darien crosser . (FWIW if you could average 2 mph ((VMG - velocity made good)) for 10 hours a day I think you'd set a new speed record!)
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #203
GFoz
ManchesterTRF.com

Oddometer: 33
Check out this website dedicated to the Freeride 350. It's a fan site.

http://www.freeride350.com

GFoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #204
woxofoh
Sean Ahern

Oddometer: 8
What Do Kids Know

The KTM Free Ride is a modern creation of one of the great "fun" bikes of all time. Jump into your Wayback Machines, set the dial to 1972 and behold the 350 Bultaco Alpina. Based on a trials bike it could go anywhere but fast (as in not fast). Weighed about the same as the FreeRide and tuned for lots of torque. Perfect for muddy trail breaking in Southern Ohio. 2. Just joined what is with the GEEZER oriented random question to join? CZ, Triumph, Ural ?
woxofoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #205
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
I'd like to spend my remaining riding days enjoying trail riding.....
Agreed, and in my book, Less is More

I have a WR250R for long distance/touring needs so that base is covered (I've owned the big touring pigs and I'm no longer interested.........I want to be able to drop the bags and ride "Anywhere")

My current knarly terrain/singletrack weapon is a AZ. street plated KTM 300 XC-W which is a lightweight hoot, but if the Free Ride makes it over here I'll likely off load the XC-W and snag the Free Ride.....smooth/lightweight.....perfect.

Already have a street plated CRF230F for my gal pal

http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com

Crawdaddy screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 10:26 AM
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #206
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post

I'm about 5'6" if that gives you an idea of the bike's size. I don't think the seat height is 35"... more like 32" to 33" or thereabouts, and the bike settles under your weight so that I could touch on both sides with a 30" inseam.
Damn, looks like this won't be in my garage.... I'm 6-3 230#'s
Oh well, I'll keep the 390 Berg I guess.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #207
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,979
I added a new page to my Freeride 350 web site and put a link to it on the Freeride 350 home page. If you wanna have a look, click here:
http://rickramsey.net/FR350AJ.htm
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #208
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Same here. Great concept though. But my next KTM will like be a either an EXC300 or EXC350 depending on whether I am still digging the two stroke rush.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #209
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
At your size the Berg. is like the Freeride to us puny folks.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #210
GFoz
ManchesterTRF.com

Oddometer: 33
Looking Good
GFoz is offline   Reply With Quote