Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #331
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
he he - thats exactly what I did. I *love* my Beta 4T long ride on the gnarly single track. Totally sucks on the fire roads and logging roads. Cant jump worth crap.

We have some quite tight single track here. We have a saying around here for our enduro races. Half ride enduros half ride trails. The enduros come back late, with the riders totally beat. The trials come back early with a smile on their faces.

Until I can get my hands on a street legal freeride, I am modifying a 350 exc-f. Lowered the suspension front and rear. 13-52 gearing. Slow throttle tube. Unmapped, map switch on mild. MME clucth lever. Trials tire in the back.

So far its light years better than my 450 exc-r in the tight stuff. Its heavy in the single track, but is a very nimble bike, so quite manageable. I am just struggling trying to get better low speed throttle control. Its a bit herky jerky. Nothing like my beta of my gasgas trials bikes.

If and when the freeride comes out, I'll see if its worth the money to trade in the exc-f. But at least I have something to ride when it just part time single track.
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #332
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 749
I have read a ton on the 350exc. I'm sure it's better than my 450 but not enough to spend $5k or more to upgrade. I run 13/50 gearing with a trails tire and can ride all the hardest trails in way better style than buddies on tall geared knobby bikes. Still... I'm sick of such a big bike and all the valve adjustments the RFS requires... and fear of racking up so many miles that I have to rebuild the engine every year... The fun factor is so much more on the smaller bike on the hard stuff. I can give up whacking it on the fire roads. I have notice over the years that the best technical riders don't go wicked fast on the easy stuff like some do.

I will take a de-tuned 350 that will last over what I have any day.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #333
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
I will take a de-tuned 350 that will last ...

OneEffinName screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 12:42 PM
Old 06-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #334
Timppa
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post
Why has KTM never made a trials bike?
You sure?

Timppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #335
fedswith
fedswith

Oddometer: 47
Hi Guys,

I am looking at getting the new Freeride but will still need it to get around on it.

I'v heard from KTM dealer that riding the EXC 250,350 etc on the road kills the engine and tires.

Is this the same story with the freeride, or can I use it as a every day commute and still have fun on the wknd?

Feedback from someone with the bike would be great, we still of 2-3 months before the bike arrives here is Western Australia.

Cheers :)
fedswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #336
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

As for tires, the Pirelli MT43 DOT trials tires are pretty hard (for a trials tire), lots of guys use them on their enduros on the rear, and they dual sport with them too. So they might last OK.

Don't know why the dealer said riding an EXC on the road would kill the engine. Is he talking higher revs, constant revs, highway riding? Bah, sounds like stupid salesman stuff to me. Although the EXCs are primarily a street legal enduro race bike, you could ride it on the street 100% of the time - the SM guys convert EXCs and ride 100% road. Of course its going to be more high maintenance as compared to a DR or XR - but those are heavy tanks (albeit indestructable). I think the freeride as commuter/weekend warrior will be fine.

Hold it - I just figured it out. Is the dealer trying to sell you TWO bikes? Or is he trying to sell you some other bike today, rather than you holding out for the freeride? Thats sounds more like it. They crap all over your plans to wait for the freeride as they want your money now!
Old 06-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #337
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedswith View Post
Hi Guys,

I am looking at getting the new Freeride but will still need it to get around on it.

I'v heard from KTM dealer that riding the EXC 250,350 etc on the road kills the engine and tires.

Is this the same story with the freeride, or can I use it as a every day commute and still have fun on the wknd?

Feedback from someone with the bike would be great, we still of 2-3 months before the bike arrives here is Western Australia.

Cheers :)
I didn't know the freeride came in street legal clothing?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #338
fedswith
fedswith

Laugh

Thanks,
I dont know either, I think it has something to do the constant revs (if can keep it within the speed limit )

I thought that a de-tuned race engine would be indestructible, fuel efficient, last forever, reliable with decent servicing intervals.

I am curious what the bike is like sitting on 100km down the freeway, dose it ring its guts out?
Old 06-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #339
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedswith View Post
Thanks,
I dont know either, I think it has something to do the constant revs (if can keep it within the speed limit )

I thought that a de-tuned race engine would be indestructible, fuel efficient, last forever, reliable with decent servicing intervals.

I am curious what the bike is like sitting on 100km down the freeway, dose it ring its guts out?
100km/h - thats not an issue for the EXC with its stock gearing. Even bumped up a bit should be fine. To know for sure about the speed, sign up on KTM talk and ask MexMex - he has one - check this thread: http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=448516

and yes the freeride is factory street legal - its up to each country to get it approved though.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:36 AM   #340
fedswith
fedswith

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
100km/h - thats not an issue for the EXC with its stock gearing. Even bumped up a bit should be fine. To know for sure about the speed, sign up on KTM talk and ask MexMex - he has one - check this thread: http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=448516

and yes the freeride is factory street legal - its up to each country to get it approved though.
Cant get log into this bloody web site both my Hotmail and Gmail accounts dont work.....
Old 06-12-2012, 02:23 AM   #341
Iceveign
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
This new KTM is very interesting I must admit. I just can't get past the words " free ride" when it comes to KTM.

you may kill me now!
Old 06-16-2012, 04:44 AM   #342
lstehbens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Yeah interesting bike.

I think I read in one of the reviews (Australian website) that service intervals were like 40hrs or something? Sounds sort of reasonable. How does this compare with your average Dual Sport bike? And is it just an oil change/oil + filter? What else is involved? I'm interested to know how this thing goes on the road getting to and from trails (eg 80km/h 100km/h zones).
lstehbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #343
250kicker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I've called or visited several KTM dealers asking about the Freeride350. 2 of the dealerships never heard of the freeride 350 and one of the dealerships heard it mentioned at the last dealer meeting that it was coming to the US in 2013 but he also said that doesnt mean KTM will follow through. All 3 dealers i spoke with said to call back after the dealer show which is on june 26th. All of the dealers agreed this is a pretty amazing bike (35"seat height - 13" ground clearance - 223 pounds - 350cc engine) -once they were aware of it.
Everyone who's interested in this bike needs to contact a few local dealers and ask about it before the dealer show just because alot of dealers (from what ive seen) are un-informed about this bike. Maybe if its brought up enough at the dealer show on june 26th KTM may consider getting it over here sooner.
250kicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #344
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Way too much dosh!
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #345
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 4,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kicker View Post
I've called or visited several KTM dealers asking about the Freeride350. 2 of the dealerships never heard of the freeride 350 and one of the dealerships heard it mentioned at the last dealer meeting that it was coming to the US in 2013 but he also said that doesnt mean KTM will follow through. All 3 dealers i spoke with said to call back after the dealer show which is on june 26th. All of the dealers agreed this is a pretty amazing bike (35"seat height - 13" ground clearance - 223 pounds - 350cc engine) -once they were aware of it.
Everyone who's interested in this bike needs to contact a few local dealers and ask about it before the dealer show just because alot of dealers (from what ive seen) are un-informed about this bike. Maybe if its brought up enough at the dealer show on june 26th KTM may consider getting it over here sooner.
I was in my local dealer Tuesday afternoon and asked about two different bikes and got the same answer for both, “yeah we have been asking that very same question of our suppliers and still don’t have a definitive answer…”

Your killing me smalls!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote