Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #121
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled View Post
I would put a deposit down today for one if it came in around $7K.
LOL
So would I.
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #122
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,162
No doubt. Coming in at $7000 would make the 350 Freeride $400 less than a CRF250X. Talk about a bargain. They would probably sell like Happy Meals at that price.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #123
motoman250f
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
I'm not following all this hype,, help me out. I could have bought a wr250f and did the baja designs conversion, then did our own inspection and street legal process at our DMV. If I didn't want the power I could have blocked the throttle a bit or just not rev it.

Another choice would be the EXC 450/525 which KTM has worked hard to make street legal for us in the US. sure its a bit heavier than the 220 but these race converted bikes just dont last like a Dual sport. they say its basically the same drive system from the xc so you know its just a race bike with lights on it and the equivalent of a throttle stop,, maybe reduced compression. Why is everyone so excited?

I bought my wr250r knowing it wasn't going to be a real light competition feeling bike but If you wan't Dual sport overbuilt technology thats the price you pay. Do we really all think were going to get a bike that lasts 40K miles that weighs 220 lbs?

You know that wr250r has 350 watt stator, pass pegs, turn signals, mirrors, even the little things like thermostat. You know they could have just put the wr250f motor in the wr250r but the standard was different and the weight cost high. Hope there's something I'm missing,,
motoman250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #124
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurizio View Post
Really?

"Errare humanum est, perseverare autem diabolicum"

lo non l'ho comprata! ... but then I can't tell that story...

I did have a LC4 400 that made 80,000 miles. I'm guessing the reduced power of the 400 helped a lot with that.

motoman none of us here know if he can compete with the WR250R reliability wise... and after they are released that's the kind of info that would take a long time to give a good educated guess on.
My hope is that being detuned that much makes it a possibility!

IF (and that's a huge IF) it were to compete with the R2 reliability wise it's got some HUGE advantages - these are all guesses not worth anything but possibly...

10% more hp and 50% more torque
60 lbs less weight (I've already factored in there that the KTM lb is a bit heavier than the Yamaha lb. )
probably better suspension

I doubt it will have near the range
electrical output
ability to pack stuff on back

But of course I don't know... that's probably what makes us excited speculating
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #125
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
I don't think most people here are wanting to dual-sport the Freeride. It's for lightweight trail running, and maybe a plate to connect trails. The WR250R is 285lbs, VERY heavy compared to the claimed 220 of the Freeride. I had a WR250R, sold it. Freeride would be a blast to ride offroad on tight stuff!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #126
motoman250f
Gnarly Adventurer

Dont most people already have an answer for that in a wr250f or crf250x? add a plate if they can in their state,,
Old 11-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #127
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

That Freeride is a solid 30 pounds lighter than a CRF250X and is going to be a torquer rather than a screamer. Which is the whole point of the bike. It isn't about building a fast point and shoot woods racer or even a dual sport. It is about riding an ultra lightweight bike that can conquer the nastiest trails with the least work.

Like I said on the first page, I totally understand the point of this bike. Owning an ultra lightweight bike with good low end torque is exactly why there is a plated MXC200 in my garage right now getting a flywheel weight, Gnarly pipe and head mods for torque. I am making it into the exact same idea as the Freeride.

Yes, my project will suck as an all day loaded up dual sport mule. And it will also suck as an all out enduro race bike. But it will let me conquer rock gardens, stump farms and various other kinds of miserable trail hack without beating myself up. The fact that light and torquey also means excellent wife/friend bike is just a bonus.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #128
motoman250f
Gnarly Adventurer

and you guys have no concern that 220 lbs really means over 240 before fuel? you know the 350sx is 232 and 350 exc is rated at 240 without fuel.

I'm thinking that solid 30 lbs is really less than 10 lbs. difference and a wr290f is a real beast down low. Maybe stronger off idle. To be fair though it would be nice to have another gear and street legal from factory. I think i'm getting it but if this bike is 2000 more than a wr250f or crf250x its not looking so great.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #129
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled View Post
I would put a deposit down today for one if it came in around $7K./.
I expect thats why you (and the rest of us in the USA, thanks) won't get the opportunity to buy one.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #130
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,332
[QUOTE=Grreatdog;17317710
Like I said on the first page, I totally understand the point of this bike. Owning an ultra lightweight bike with good low end torque is exactly why there is a plated MXC200 in my garage right now getting a flywheel weight, Gnarly pipe and head mods for torque. I am making it into the exact same idea as the Freeride.
.[/QUOTE]

Exactly the same except for the 4T engine, EFI, electric start...
Old 11-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #131
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman250f View Post
and you guys have no concern that 220 lbs really means over 240 before fuel? you know the 350sx is 232 and 350 exc is rated at 240 without fuel.

I'm thinking that solid 30 lbs is really less than 10 lbs. difference and a wr290f is a real beast down low. Maybe stronger off idle. To be fair though it would be nice to have another gear and street legal from factory. I think i'm getting it but if this bike is 2000 more than a wr250f or crf250x its not looking so great.
I was under the impression that KTM is claiming 99.5kg(219.36lb) ready to run, plus fuel. Even with fuel, you are talking about 5.5 liters, which is about 8-9 pounds. Im not really sure how the difference between the exc is less than 10lbs here. The only way to know for sure will be to wait until the bike comes out, and actually weigh it against an exc 350.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #132
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
That's exactly what I been told at EICMA.
5.5 liter of regular petrol weight 8.9 pounds or 4.0 kg
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #133
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
That Freeride is a solid 30 pounds lighter than a CRF250X and is going to be a torquer rather than a screamer. Which is the whole point of the bike. It isn't about building a fast point and shoot woods racer or even a dual sport. It is about riding an ultra lightweight bike that can conquer the nastiest trails with the least work.

Yes, my project will suck as an all day loaded up dual sport mule. And it will also suck as an all out enduro race bike. But it will let me conquer rock gardens, stump farms and various other kinds of miserable trail hack without beating myself up. The fact that light and torquey also means excellent wife/friend bike is just a bonus.
except for the difference in seat height!
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #134
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,022
For me, the lightness is a huge plus, even if it's more realistically 250 or 260.

Plus, given the choice between a torque 350 and a high output 250, I'll take the 350 every day. Torque is far better for picking around on a tight trail than high power is. The ability to lift or lighten the front end with a slight twist is pretty critical for poking around on rocky terrain. I suppose you can just try to fly over it, but hey, at our average age, it would mean a long physical recovery if you screw up.

Plus having a low seat makes it just easier when you have to drop your foot down.

The reality is, I want a bike that is easy and fun and even practical, not something that is a cocaine rush. As my brother said when he road a CRF250R.... "It just scared the piss out of me". I don't know about that, the BMW G450X certainly didn't scare me, but it was it felt like I was riding on stilts being that high. It felt unnatural and unnerving. Especially since I couldn't touch with either foot, let alone both.

Not sure how they're achieving weight this low though. it is going to bend like a pretzel on the first wipe out?
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #135
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Exactly the same except for the 4T engine, EFI, electric start...
I said the same idea not the exact same bike. Duuhhhh.