So I have now done the following on the wee TL over the last month or so
  • New clutch, brake and throttle cables
  • New brake shoes / springs front and rear
  • New points
  • New chain and sprockets 12-60
  • Full redress kit into carb
  • Fabricated Carb insulator
  • Fitted Bultaco chain tensioner
  • New gear lever (got rid of old linkage set up)
  • Adjusted cam chain
  • Adjusted valve clearances
  • Tidyed up sloppy electrics
  • Cleaned air filter
  • Fitted adjustable clutch lever (much better)
  • New exhaust gasket
  • Changed oil and cleaned centrifugal filter
Still on the cards to do
  • New tyres
  • New rear shocks
  • New fork seals & oil change
This should bring it up to what I'll be happy with.
Now for the problem.
It looks like and have pretty much confirmed through another inmate that the points base plate is fitted 180 deg out.Currently points are sitting bottom right when looking at them. I believe that they should sit top left.
Am I right in thinking that the cam spocket or cam has been installed incorrectly ?
Tried putting the base plate in the assumed correct position and the bike would not fire after installing the new points.
Put it back the way it was and it fired up.
I want to check the timing but if the cam sprocket or cam are installed incorrectly then static timing will be hard to do.
Should I get hold of a timing light and check it that way?
Any suggestions appreciated

Cheers Steve
Old 11-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #17
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
Years ago I asked the local Honda shop about mixing TL and XL parts and recall him saying that the crank keys and such were 180 out from the SL/XL bikes. Cranks are different. I used to take the TL engine out and put SL/XL engines in the TL frame. Made for a pert good trail bike.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #18
lonedave
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Steve

I just picked up this 76 the other day. It runs great. It is missing the side covers, the silencer/spark arrester is rusted away, the lights are gone, and the tank has a good dent/crease in the left side. Overall though, I'm pretty satisfied with it. It should be a nice one to learn the basics on and maybe do a few things to clean it up some. I really like the looks of TLtrials' bike above. I may try to work toward the look of his. I'd like to do a few of the items on your list. I just found a manual on-line and none of the maintenance items look too difficult, even for me. When you cleaned the centrifugal oil filter did you need a new cover gasket? Mine fires right up first or second kick, warms up quickly and idles fine, so for now I'll leave the points and carb alone. My forks seem to seep a very, very little bit, so I may need to look into them before too long to. I'd be interested in finding out how much trouble you have with the fork seals. I'd bet not much, but any info you want to pass along would be appreciated.

Dave

lonedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #19
Steve Young OP
A Scotsman in Canada

Oddometer: 99
Hello Dave.

Good find !
I have not done the fork seals yet, but they do not look like they would be too much of a problem. I did replace the gasket when I cleaned the oil filter. My cases looked like they haven't been split for years and the old gasket was ripped etc.
They are easy enough to work on if you are anyways mechanically minded. I also downloaded a workshop manual online like yourself.
Got my timing sorted out eventually. I removed the ignition advancer and disassembled, turned it 180 deg and re-fitted. Checked timing with strobe light and it was close to perfect.
If you need any help give us a shout.

Cheers Steve

Steve Young screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 11:13 AM
Steve Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #20
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
LoneDave - Nice looking find. It even has the ever elusive right foot peg spring for easier kick starting and the carburetor heat shield has not been broken off. It will be a good platform modify how ever you want. Mine was a lot worse condition when I started, it was stripped to the frame and start over bike.

Steve - Glad to hear your ignition got sorted, sounded like someone installed it bass ackwards.
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #21
jack85
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
You can find more Honda TL125 info at following link:

http://www.onlytrial.com/1/from_1975_to_80_120291.html
jack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #22
lonedave
n00b

Universal Fenders and Aftermarket Sidecovers

I was looking on line for replacement sidecovers and am leaning toward the Sammy Miller replacements (mine is a 76 "S" model) and the universal fenders. The sidecovers are black plastic and they say ready to paint. I sent a message to them about recommended prep, primer, and paint and the response was pretty much what I thought (degrese, plastic primer, and paint of choice). Has anyone gotten the sidecovers and painted them? How did it go and how has it lasted? Also, if you put decals on, did you use a clear coat over them or just leave them as is?

The other question is about the rear universal fender mounting. The original TL fenders (and others) have a short tab extending down to catch the bolt on either side behind the shock bolt. The universal fender doesn't have this tab, so I was wondering how others mounted them? Do you make a short metal tab to span between the fender and mounting hole or just not use that set of bolts and rely on just the single center rear bolt and the small screws between the fender and the split front section (original black portion under the seat)? Thanks for any insight.

Dave
Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #23
More CowBell
gotahave moreCowbell

Oddometer: 208
Fitted Bultaco chain tensioner

Can I see some pics of how you did the Bultaco chain tensioner ? PM sent
Thanks
More CowBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #24
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonedave View Post
I was looking on line for replacement sidecovers and am leaning toward the Sammy Miller replacements (mine is a 76 "S" model) and the universal fenders. The sidecovers are black plastic and they say ready to paint. I sent a message to them about recommended prep, primer, and paint and the response was pretty much what I thought (degrese, plastic primer, and paint of choice). Has anyone gotten the sidecovers and painted them? How did it go and how has it lasted? Also, if you put decals on, did you use a clear coat over them or just leave them as is?

The other question is about the rear universal fender mounting. The original TL fenders (and others) have a short tab extending down to catch the bolt on either side behind the shock bolt. The universal fender doesn't have this tab, so I was wondering how others mounted them? Do you make a short metal tab to span between the fender and mounting hole or just not use that set of bolts and rely on just the single center rear bolt and the small screws between the fender and the split front section (original black portion under the seat)? Thanks for any insight.

Dave
Hi LoneDave,
Made my own aluminum side covers that are more durable that the stock units, had some stickers made.

Also made small aluminum brackets for the sides of the rear fenders to attach to the frame.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #25
lonedave
n00b

Thanks for the info TL. I'd really like to see a close-up picture of your side covers, fender brackets, and chain tensioner if you've got any. I was also thinking about fabricating some aluminum sidecovers rather than spend $100+ on a set of Sammy's. I'm just not sure of my sheet metal skills, but I guess it'd be worth a shot as I think yours really look better than the original "large" design. I also need to come up with a spark arrester as mine's almost completely rusted away. I need to send a message off to FMF and some of the other aftermarket firms and ask for some dimensions to try to match one up. I think a couple of the ones made for ATV's or small bikes may work. Have you ever thought about

I just came in from riding it around the yard and driveway a bit. It sure is a fun little bike!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #26
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Close up photos

rear fender brackets:

A Sammy Miller Universal chain tensioner, that I hacked up to make work on my swing arm and the existing tab. I found the chain tensioner after I had already powder coated the frame, and tried this just to see if it would work. It has been on there for over 10 years now, so I guess it worked.

I had the local machine shop mill out a set of risers for the bars. If I was still in college I would have made them on the CNC mill, but since college is long past it was cheaper to have the shop build as opposed to buying a milling machine.... Raised the bars 25mm from stock position.

Domino Bars, cut down to 30", MSR levers, Domino fast turn throttle, Sammy Miller front fork bace/fender mount.

Aluminum Side covers, I just broke them out of some aluminum sheets that I had picked up from the scrap metal yard. I put threaded clips on the stock frame tabs, spaced the bolts with spacers, rubber grommets, and bolted up. Polished and added stickers. I need to replace the grommets, they have dry rotted.

Hope these help with your project.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #27
lonedave
n00b

Hey TL

Thanks for the pictures. That's about what I was thinking for the fender mounts. The side covers look good and I never thought about using the chain cover mount for the tensioner. I appreciate it.

Dave
Old 04-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #28
yellowrose
n00b

Oddometer: 2
1974 Honda TL 125

If you are looking at a 1974 Honda TL 125 Trials Bike. I have one for sale. $500 OR BEST OFFER.
yellowrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #29
yellowrose
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Super good running ready to ride. Starts one kick every time.

A fun little bike, light weight and sounds great. Very rugged, too. Never fails to start.
yellowrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #30
Irish John
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Yellowrose

Check your PM
Irish John is offline   Reply With Quote