User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:35 AM   #46
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,535
If your helmet has one of these, ECE 22-05, JIS T8133, DOT or other comparable standards to AS1698, I wouldn't be too concerned as no single helmet is legal in every state and territory in Australia such are the shit-fight our helmet laws are!!

The 'propaganda' campaign being waged by the helmet importers is being done to protect their bottom line as they have been ripping us off in Australia for helmets for 30 years!!

From what I have read recently, a 'sticker' does not constitute compliance with any laws as its origin is open to ambiguity and a stamp inside the helmet carries more weight but they are also susceptable to wearing off/fading/disappearing completely from wear/sweating etc

Many of us are wearing imported helmets that meet standards that far exceed the Australian ones, and we are doing it without being ripped off!!

I personally know of several people who have had bikes and gear, including non-Australian sourced helmets replaced/ repaired by their insurer after an accident.

The origin of the helmet was not bought into question.

Any copper who tries to nail you for a so-called 'non-approved helmet' was going to book you regardless, he just picked an easy and often mis-interpreted way to do it where the guy booked just assumed he was breaking the law!! That is not always the case!

Car related, but an example of how it seems to work these days: young bloke who works down at the local IGA called in to pick up his pay a couple of weeks back, didn't lock his car when he walked into the store, got booked for 'not securing a motor vehicle' and fined $100?? - The cop had followed him for a couple of kays and was dead set on giving the kid a ticket whether he was in the right or wrong!

Sadly, there are still a few like that out there, but overall I reckon the majority of cops are pretty good with this stuff.
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:25 AM   #47
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,163
Well Matt, Kylie has been busy today I have a response from the ACCC which is below, they are palming it off as some one else's responsibility

I will be responding to point out is a restraint of trade on importers and retailers to not be able to sell helmets meeting one standard into all states and it is also a restraint of my trade to be unable to travel interstate on business as my helmet does not meet all states standards & restraint of trade is an ACCC responsibility

Dear Mr Carruthers,

Thank you for your email of 21 October 2011 to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) regarding the Helmet Standards. Your reference number for this matter is 116281.

The ACCC monitors the safety of consumer products and plays an active role in investigating potential hazards relating to them. Where evidence shows a consumer product has or could cause injury, illness or death, the ACCC is able to develop bans and mandatory standards enforceable under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (the Act).

The ACCC is responsible for providing policy advice to the Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasurer in respect of product safety and enforcing mandatory product safety and information standards and bans of unsafe products supplied in Australia. The ACCC only enforces a select number of mandatory information standards under the Act.

The motorcycle helmet mandatory standard is based on the Australian Standard; this standard applies to helmets at the time of purchase. The Australian Standard is aligned with most overseas standards to the extent practicable. It is important to note that most imported helmets made to recognised overseas standards are likely to also meet the Australian Standard. More information on the helmet mandatory standard can be found on the ACCC’s Product Safety website.

I understand from your email that you read the State of Helmets article by Guy Stanford which has raised concerns about the lack of uniformity of the state and territory helmet road safety requirements and related non-uniform enforcement policy and practice by state and territory law enforcement officers.

In this instance I suggest you raise your concerns with the Australian Transport Council as they administer the road safety motorcycle helmet wearing laws. The Australian Transport Council can be contacted on 02 6274 7111 or visit www.atcouncil.gov.au

Thank you for contacting the ACCC with your concerns. I trust this information is helpful.

Yours Sincerely

Kylie
ACCC Infocentre
Ph: 1300 302 502
Old 10-27-2011, 04:07 AM   #48
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffo1962 View Post
Just seen an A3 sized poster up in my local bike shop making all sorts of claims about AS/NZS being the "only" helmets you're allowed to wear with out being subject to all sorts of things and how it has to have the sticker on the outside. It's put out by the importers of HJC whoever they are........... Had a laugh at it while putting on my imported Arai minus sticker
Griffo, please photograph that poster & post it here - THAT is misleading info and could be used by the ACCC.
I'm beginning to think that the importers have known about this mess and have been milking this confusion for YEARS to rip us off. And it's beginning to sound like there's more than a bit of collusion between importers to keep prices artificially high.
Why is there only ONE Monopolies Commission?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:12 AM   #49
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Got a reply from the ACCC today.
Looks like we have to hound the Australian Transport Council as well.

Matt,
This is BRILLIANT work; congratulations on making a significant step in eliminating what is beginning to look like a cartel of greedy traders.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:34 AM   #50
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Griffo, please photograph that poster & post it here - THAT is misleading info and could be used by the ACCC.

Will do. Will call in on the weekend.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #51
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,214
Now lets add a little more professionalism to this thread and ask a Mod to fix the spelling of "HELMENT" to "HELMET" in the title..........
Old 10-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #52
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakduk View Post
Now lets add a little more professionalism to this thread and ask a Mod to fix the spelling of "HELMENT" to "HELMET" in the title..........
NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Then we will have 16 posts about the bastard that changed the subject and another 12 saying leave the bastard alone

Old 10-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #53
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
I'm beginning to think that the importers have known about this mess and have been milking this confusion for YEARS to rip us off. And it's beginning to sound like there's more than a bit of collusion between importers to keep prices artificially high.
Why is there only ONE Monopolies Commission?
here's an ad I copied from amcn a few months back...

Bottom left hand corner white box

Perhaps Cassons want to start doing legal advice?

Are they permitted to offer legal advice :)?

Who wants to email them re the law and ask them for their opinion?

rmhrc628 screwed with this post 10-27-2011 at 02:20 PM
Old 10-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #54
Peka
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
In Qld an "approved motorcycle helmet" is defined as a helmet that complies with:

(a) AS1698-1988; or
(b) another standard the chief executive considers is at least equal to that standard

I want to know who the chief executive is?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #55
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,813
Just updated my self on the LAMs fiasco in various states as well. Its eems that most states are in the process of actualy harmonising that list as well and transitional arrangements are in place. So, if the roads guys are thinking as one with learner bikes, maybe the culture of change is beginning and we'll see a national approach where good overseas helmets are accepted.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #56
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,163
We had a stable known system, but with some limitations on OS standards until the feds dismantled it in 2003 & made further changes in 2006 bringing OS standards into play via inclusion of NZ but then failed to ensure the states updated their regulations which are a pure paperwork exercise by the State RTA's to rescind a regulation and gazette a new one, no legislation required. A simple exercise which has been botched for 5 years.

I learnt about the ADR system and safety defect system after having the axle mounts fail on my F650GS, DOTARS who were administering the system (now partly at ACCC) were absolutely starved of funds over the same period with 2 people to cover road transport & no checking of "self certification" by manufacturers & no funds to put a searchable database of complaints on line. Made my blood boil, This is another example of the failures of the last 10 years..
Old 10-28-2011, 03:58 AM   #57
ktmgeoff
Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer: 1,404
A sort of interesting article here & the latest tests done just for us.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226177798815
Old 10-28-2011, 04:25 AM   #58
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmgeoff View Post
Thanks for wasting 10 minutes of my life

When 2 model Arais rate 3 stars for protection and one Arai rates 2 stars and a Rjay rates 4 stars then this site/organisation has a credibility problem with me.

Also, in case nobody told them, rating a helmet for comfort without considering the head shape is a waste of time.

Which is this organisation that lacks credibility you ask ? The NSW RTA
Old 10-28-2011, 04:28 AM   #59
hoyks
Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmgeoff View Post

I find it interesting that they expect the helmet to meet the Australian Standard, then they take the Australian standard, ignore it and come up with their own test standard.

Quote:
These test surfaces (anvils) are termed 'flat', 'hemispherical' or 'kerb'. CRASH uses modified tests comprising high and low speed impacts (compared to AS/NZS 1698 requirements) using a flat surface and higher speed impact than UN/ECE Regulation 22* using a simulated kerb surface.

In tests where the helmet is dropped onto a flat surface, the helmet mounted on a simulated head is dropped from heights of 0.8 metres and 2.5 metres (AS/NZS 1698 uses a drop height of 1.83 metres). The helmets are evaluated in terms of their ability to reduce impact to the head, maintain the helmet structural integrity, and ensure the chin strap is still working properly after the test. The test matrix and impact locations are shown in the figure and table below.
http://www.crash.org.au/
Old 10-28-2011, 04:43 AM   #60
ktmgeoff
Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnieM View Post
Thanks for wasting 10 minutes of my life

Hey, I DID say sort of interesting
And 5 people decide if a helmet is comfortable ??