User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #76
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,329
AS/NZS1698-2006 unfortunately leaves the "The Certification Mark" up to the Statutory Authorities

AS/NZS1698-2006 Extract

8. MARKING

Each helmet shall be permanently and legibly marked in letters no less than 1.5 mm, in such a manner that the marking can be easily read without the removal of padding, or any permanent part, with the following:

(a) Name of the manufacturer.
(b) Model designation.
(c) Size.
(d) Month and year of manufacture (may be spelled out, eg “July 2005”, or in figures, eg “7/05”).
(e) The words “Vehicle User’s Helmet”.
(f) Instructions to user:
(i) Shell and liner constructed of (identify type(s) of material).
(ii) Helmet may be seriously damaged by substances such as petrol, paint, adhesives, or cleaning agents.
(iii) Make no modifications.
(iv) Fasten helmet securely.
(v) If helmet experiences a severe blow, destroy it and replace it.
(vi) Ensure that any visor attached to this helmet meets the requirements of AS 1609.
(g) The certification mark (where required by Statutory Authorities).

This seems to allow the States to specify any mark they please under the regulations
Old 11-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #77
mazman808
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Does that ean i can buy a airoh helmet now ;)

One thing,if you go eastern creek drags for example,they check to see if your helmet has the new rule AS/NZ sticker on it,if not you cannot compete(im guessing track/ride days are the same?)
This shits me that we have to figure all this ourselves
Old 11-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #78
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman808 View Post
Does that ean i can buy a airoh helmet now ;)

One thing,if you go eastern creek drags for example,they check to see if your helmet has the new rule AS/NZ sticker on it,if not you cannot compete(im guessing track/ride days are the same?)
This shits me that we have to figure all this ourselves
Your okay to use it at track days, thank goodness MA has a universal approach.
http://www.ma.org.au/fileadmin/user_...nd_Fitting.pdf

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
Old 11-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #79
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback jack View Post
If its run under a MA licence which aint necessarily so fro a ride day. Its also only a fairly recent MA change, maybe 2, 3 years. It used to be AS/NZ only, but I assume the internationals' complaints got through. I was a CC and Steward until recently and had to enforce it.

Steve
Old 11-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #80
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback jack View Post
From that link:

"30.1.1 APPROVAL LABELS FOR HELMETS
30.1.1.1 Helmets must carry one of the following approval labels, as listed in Rule 01.70 of the FIM Technical Rules.
a) Europe ECE 22 – 04, ECE 22 - 05
b) Great Britain BS 6658 Grade A & B (All disciplines)
c) USA DOT Federal Standard No 218 / SNELL M95, M2000, M2005, M2010
d) Japan JIS T 8133:2000, JIS T 8133:2007
Australia Standards Association of Australia AS1698"

It could be so easy - but they make it so hard
Old 11-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #81
mazman808
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone see this article?
http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...helmets_rated/

Theres mention of as/nzs being required if you want to be legal!

Also, in they're FAQ section, the first question is this, with an answer following:

Can I use a helmet I have brought with me from overseas?

No. Helmets purchased from overseas do not comply with Australian Standards. In addition, the Australian Standard for motorcycle helmets is one of the most stringent in the world.

mazman808 screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 12:44 AM
Old 11-23-2011, 12:42 AM   #82
mazman808
Gnarly Adventurer

Heres a NSW transport web link that also states that the AU/NZ standard and sticker is required on our helmets to be legal!
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...lehelmets.html
Old 11-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #83
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,055
Quote:
One thing,if you go eastern creek drags for example,they check to see if your helmet has the new rule AS/NZ sticker on it,if not you cannot compete....
That's a WSID "track rule" only. If you have an ANDRA license, you can quote the rule book at them (which some of our WA racers have had to do in the past), which lists approved helmets as being ECE, Snell2005 up, SFI, AS1698.

Up until season 2013 at least, then to race on the track you will only be allowed to use Snell or SFI.......in other words, AS of any sort will be ANDRA illegal.

Dirt drags with SFA rules at all is starting to look better and better sometimes.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #84
wairau
richie

Oddometer: 1,279
I've been riding in Aussie for nearly 4 years with a NZ helmet that I bought over when I moved. i.e no sticker. It is a Shoei XR1000 that was sold here too. It was about a year before I found out about the sticker rule.

I've been pulled up several times, and never had any trouble about no sticker. Maybe just lucky.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #85
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
Quote:
Anyone see this article?
http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...helmets_rated/

Theres mention of as/nzs being required if you want to be legal!

Also, in they're FAQ section, the first question is this, with an answer following:

Can I use a helmet I have brought with me from overseas?

No. Helmets purchased from overseas do not comply with Australian Standards. In addition, the Australian Standard for motorcycle helmets is one of the most stringent in the world.

Im farking furuious with that article = why are our heads different to European or US?

It's not about safety - pure job justification and to protect importers (sic)
Old 11-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #86
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Heres a NSW transport web link that also states that the AU/NZ standard and sticker is required on our helmets to be legal!
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...lehelmets.html
No - it says to be sold - important difference. Resellers to which the ACCC laws apply must sell with the sticker but to import one you dont.

The fact so many of us import helmets which are so miuch better than the $99 chinese special, proves to me that the govt are just nimrods.

Please explain how $99 AS1698 helmet is better than a $500 imported shoei or arai or schuberth? It's impossible
Old 11-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #87
AL-58
BMWs make good landfill

Oddometer: 847
Read the document, that's not what it says.

Its says:
"Helmet law

The NSW Road Rules 2008 requires that:
  • The rider of a motorcycle must wear an approved motorcycle helmet securely fitted and fastened on the rider’s head,
  • The rider of a motorcycle must not ride with a passenger unless the passenger is wearing an approved motorcycle helmet.
Helmet standard

An approved motorcycle helmet is a protective helmet for motorcycle riders of a type that:
  • Complies with Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 1698:2006 Protective Helmets For Vehicle Users, as amended by Amendment No. 1 of 28 September 2007 and Amendment No. 2 of 27 May 2009; or
  • Is an earlier version of Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 1698 or Australian Standard 1698-1988 that was in force at the time of manufacture or importation; and
  • Has a mark certifying compliance with an above standard.
Motorcycle helmets manufactured after 31 March 2011 must have an identifying mark from a body accredited or approved by the Joint Accreditation System of Australia and New Zealand (JAS-ANZ) certifying compliance with an above standard.(sample graphics shown)"

The document referred to says nothing about "to be sold".

Now that may be the government understanding of it, and possibly they are wrong. That's not going to stop a cop booking you if you dont have the appropriate compliance sticker if he feels like it.

The only possible loophole there is if your helmet was manufactured before 11/3/11.

Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
No - it says to be sold - important difference. Resellers to which the ACCC laws apply must sell with the sticker but to import one you dont.

The fact so many of us import helmets which are so miuch better than the $99 chinese special, proves to me that the govt are just nimrods.

Please explain how $99 AS1698 helmet is better than a $500 imported shoei or arai or schuberth? It's impossible

Old 11-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #88
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post

I can think of about 401 ways it's better.

woopwoop screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 08:08 PM
Old 11-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #89
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,329
ACCC administers Consumer directive 9 of 2000 which specifies what is legal to sell & "Approval Marks" are left up to the Statutory Authorities

This is then over ridden by the TTMR (Aust NZ Free Trade)

Under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Arrangement (TTMRA), goods that may be legally sold in New Zealand may be sold in Australia and vice versa. This principle operates regardless of differences in standards or other sale-related regulatory requirements between Australia and New Zealand.

TTMR legislation prevails over any inconsistent laws relating to the sale of goods (All States have passed legislation)

This means helmets marked as per the NZ requirements in the link below are/should be legal to sell in Aust

http://nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadco...ight-gear.html

Complete with the various international standard certification marks in the NZ page above

The States then put in place Regulations as to what is legal to use, the two (sell & use) are "supposed to be the same"

The new NSW Regulations and their effect have been raised with the Federal Minister by MCA

See MCCNews below

http://www.crossroadz.com.au/F650GS/...CnewsAug11.pdf

What is required is for the state regulations to point to ACCC Directive 9 & then we have the right to use helmets as per NZ page above

The question I would raise is does the TTMR over ride the state regulations and that question I will leave to those with better legal knowledge than mine

WayneC1 screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 08:47 PM
Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #90
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Update

You have to love email for all it's shortcomings it is making governments more exposed to shit efforts

I have just had an anniversary. Of what?

Of Australian Standards communications requesting they harmonise our "arse end of the world" standards with world standards forthwith.

First email sent to AS was February 10 2011.

So we have just ticked over 1 year.

So much ammunition for a current affairs or other such sheetful tv shows.
Closed Thread